This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Games in which enemies are so powerful, you have to be smart?

#11capgamerPosted 7/13/2014 4:50:02 PM
Uh... I dunno. Ghouls 'n Ghosts? That's what comes to mind.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#12BIGGESTPS3FANPosted 7/13/2014 4:59:37 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
Why would anyone say Dark Souls? It has the powerful requirement, not the smart one. All you is walk up, back roll, repeat on every single enemy. Or just spam Soul Arrows which tears through everything the entire game before anything can touch you.

This so hard.
---
Intel i7 4930k | EVGA 780Ti SC x2 | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaw X | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX860i | 1TB Seagate HDD x2 | 120 GB Intel 520 SSD
#13Jprime666Posted 7/13/2014 5:07:52 PM
Metal Gear Solid games on the higher difficulties.
---
Fragrance of Dark Coffee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMnrl0tmd3k
#14PhilOnDezPosted 7/13/2014 5:08:27 PM
Megaman Zero series. The regular enemies themselves aren't that tough but, at least in 1 and 2, you basically have to memorize their placement in stages to clear them. The bosses are tough though, even once you have their patterns memorized the timing required is pretty unforgiving. I remember 3 and 4 being a lot easier but they definitely weren't cakewalks.

The Megaman ZX games are easier but the final boss rush in them might be the hardest among all the Megaman games since your supplies are so limited.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#15NingishzidaPosted 7/13/2014 5:18:25 PM
Gothic 2: Night of the Raven

No matter how powerful you get, you always need to keep a healthy respect for the enemy. This is because dmg dealt far outweighs dmg reduction and HP soak.
#16LordOfLegaciesPosted 7/13/2014 5:20:35 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
HURR DARK SOULS IZ SO EEZY

Get some new material, that line is getting really old.
---
OUTSIDE NOW I'M TALKING TO JACK OUTSIDE NOW IT'S POURING OUTSIDE NOW WELL FINE OUTSIDE NOW NO I'M TALKING TO JACK OUTSIDE NOW IT'S POURING OUTSIDE NOW WELL FINE
#17That1GuyyPosted 7/13/2014 5:22:21 PM
Honestly, I don't think rote memorization the way many sidescrollers and shoot'em ups require should ever been called playing smart.

I want to say the STALKER series applies, but there definitely are situations where the AI just makes amazingly dumb decisions, although I guess that can apply to most games.
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.
#18NingishzidaPosted 7/13/2014 5:29:20 PM
Deus Ex - hulking mechs and certain other enemies can present situational difficulties
System Shock 2 - game is hard, full stop.
Clive Barker's Undying - supernatural enemies can tear you a new one in secs
Thief 2: Metal Age - you're a thief, which means an armed guard can easily give you a hiding
Far Cry 1 - trigens

^ I'm an expert on all these, so for me they're easy, but their enemies will definitely challenge a new player.
#19NingishzidaPosted 7/13/2014 5:33:55 PM
That1Guyy posted...
I want to say the STALKER series applies, but there definitely are situations where the AI just makes amazingly dumb decisions, although I guess that can apply to most games.

The AI being dumb is irrelevant, TC asked for games where the enemies are powerful, so the player has to put thought in.

Many of these STALKER enemies are powerful and can't be taken down without a bit of thought, first:

http://stalker.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_mutants
#20TimePharaohPosted 7/13/2014 5:59:55 PM(edited)
LordOfLegacies posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
HURR DARK SOULS IZ SO EEZY

Get some new material, that line is getting really old.

Not even close to what I said. And actually not a single person in this topic claimed any mentioned game was easy, except for you two Dark Souls derps getting offended before anyone even said anything. 10/10 for that