This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hey guys, does this spyware fix seem legit?

#1holy_boltPosted 7/13/2014 1:29:25 PM
I've picked up a rather tenacious one (cosstminn) that Malwarebytes can't seem to fix and this is what popped up on Google.

http://www.windowrmv.com/en.php?w=140711-cosstminn-programfiles-removal-guide
---
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/bolt_thundara/wishlist
#2drinkPosted 7/13/2014 1:42:20 PM
I would try more well known remover or even just deleting it manually.
---
You didn't try google, you made that up...
Twist those dirty bags - Shake
#3holy_bolt(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2014 2:20:08 PM
drink posted...

Tried everything I know and the damn thing won't go away. I've got Malwarebytes, Windows Defender, and Spybot S&D. Spybot is turning up a handful of things everything else is missing, but can't remove it because it's in use. I loaded up HijackThis, but I'm not experienced enough to use it safely. I figured I'd google "cosstminn" and this is what turned up.
---
#4DarkrobotisbackPosted 7/13/2014 2:24:45 PM
holy_bolt posted...
drink posted...

Tried everything I know and the damn thing won't go away. I've got Malwarebytes, Windows Defender, and Spybot S&D. Spybot is turning up a handful of things everything else is missing, but can't remove it because it's in use. I loaded up HijackThis, but I'm not experienced enough to use it safely. I figured I'd google "cosstminn" and this is what turned up.

Check your processors, if you notice any of your processors increasing its memory size, then you'll know something ominous is happening...

Until then, I can't say for sure...
---
"Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori" - Damon Knight
PM me for my PSN ID or R* Social Club Username ID
#5holy_bolt(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2014 2:34:28 PM
Darkrobotisback posted...
holy_bolt posted...
drink posted...

Check your processors, if you notice any of your processors increasing its memory size, then you'll know something ominous is happening...

Ok, sorry to sound like a noob, but how can I check this? Is it in the Task Manager?
---
#6DarkrobotisbackPosted 7/13/2014 2:44:16 PM(edited)
holy_bolt posted...
holy_bolt posted...
drink posted...

Ok, sorry to sound like a noob, but how can I check this? Is it in the Task Manager?

If your OS is Windows then yes, CTRL + ALT + DLT

From there, it shows you the processors that are currently running on your PC, if you notice something strange like explore taking up 20 mb or something you've never seen before then maybe the spyware infected your files or is hiding as a ominous file.
---
#7holy_bolt(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2014 2:45:13 PM
Ok, I'm familiar with Task Manager. I actually already tried digging thru it for something that looked odd, but nothing stood out to me. I'm afk atm but when I get back to my laptop I'll give it another look.

Also, someone on another board thinks I might have something called Conduit. Never heard of it, but apparently that's basically GG NO RE?
---
#8DarkrobotisbackPosted 7/13/2014 2:59:40 PM(edited)
holy_bolt posted...
Ok, I'm familiar with Task Manager. I actually already tried digging thru it for something that looked odd, but nothing stood out to me. I'm afk atm but when I get back to my laptop I'll give it another look.

Also, someone on another board thinks I might have something called Conduit. Never heard of it, but apparently that's basically GG NO RE?

Conduit is a fake windows "add on" it changes your default search engine and it tends to hide in misleading files

I have that crap on my windows XP laptop and everytime I try to remove it using Internet explore options, the option to remove it is gray, and after I tried meddling with it crashes Internet explorer after I try to surf the Internet on explorer...

You could try to delete Conduit from Program Files, but it will still appear on your windows Internet explorer (even if you uninstall it, it will still be there to mock you D: )

Sorry if I'm not much help, I have that same abysmal spyware unintentionally installed into my PC, I had removed it before, but it appeared again after I downloaded a bad utorrent link
---
#9JockoPosted 7/13/2014 3:26:31 PM
boot into safe mode with no networking and then run Spybot again and see if it can remove it.
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
#10holy_bolt(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2014 3:34:19 PM
holy_bolt posted...

Conduit is a fake windows "add on" it changes your default search engine and it tends to hide in misleading files

I have that crap on my windows XP laptop and everytime I try to remove it using Internet explore options, the option to remove it is gray, and after I tried meddling with it crashes Internet explorer after I try to surf the Internet on explorer...

You could try to delete Conduit from Program Files, but it will still appear on your windows Internet explorer (even if you uninstall it, it will still be there to mock you D: )

Sorry if I'm not much help, I have that same abysmal spyware unintentionally installed into my PC, I had removed it before, but it appeared again after I downloaded a bad utorrent link

Something has definitely changed my home page and default search engine to Trovi Search, but I'm not finding any evidence that it's Conduit. I just dug thru my installed programs and there's nothing new there. That's something I check frequently, so I have a good idea what should be there. Checking my Task Manager now.
---