This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why esports will never be considered sports.

#71GunmaN1905Posted 7/15/2014 5:49:38 AM
ITT: People that've never been good at any competitive game butthurt over it and think that their casual running/working out at the gym is more of a sport than competitive gaming.
#72ShubPosted 7/15/2014 5:52:41 AM
If curling, golf or even chess are officially recognized as olympic sports, I don't see why esports couldn't be. By the same token I don't see why shooting sports (guns or archery) are olympic sports but billiards/pool aren't. All of those require very little physical exertion but a great deal of skill.
Admittedly I don't care about any sport at all, just sometimes I wonder about the logic.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#73libertangoPosted 7/15/2014 6:07:42 AM(edited)
Worknofun370 posted...
libertango posted...
Since people don't agree on the definition of sports and the degree of athleticism required (athleticism being a relative term), I think that common usage of the word does matter. It tells us how we naturally categorize something.

What you personally define/use something as doesn't matter. The semantic's behind if eSports fits the definition of sports does. Two different things.

There is no agreed-upon definition of sports, at least not one that is strong enough to objectively categorize golf, esports, racing, or figure skating. However, by considering how we use language, we can at least get a sense of how our brains define things. This can vary from person to person.

I apologize for infringing on your right to make up official definitions for words and complain about how people use them.

Cause i've done anything remotely like that, right slugger?

I deduce what you support, based on what you are against. Since you are against the idea that there isn't a definition of sports strong enough to objectively categorize any activity as sport or non-sport, I deduce that you believe that such a definition does exist. And you appear to want other people to accept said definition as well.
---
My goal now is to play a lot more Doom. I feel I haven't played enough Doom. - Bobby Fischer
Favorite released games of 2014: Tower of Guns, Titanfall
#74Worknofun370Posted 7/15/2014 6:08:56 AM
libertango posted...
I deduce what you support, based on what you are against. Since you are against the idea that there isn't a strong definition of sports, I deduce that you believe there is a strong definition that provides you the ability to objectively categorize any activity as sport or not-a-sport. And you appear to be frustrated by the fact that you can't impose your definition on other people.

So you assumed, and then assumed again, and then assumed some more. Good job, slugger.
#75Worknofun370Posted 7/15/2014 6:09:44 AM
libertango posted...
There is no agreed-upon definition of sports, at least not one that is strong enough to objectively categorize golf, esports, racing, or figure skating. However, by considering how we use language, we can at least get a sense of how our brains define things. This can vary from person to person.

Curious, why isn't the dictionary definition of sports agreed-upon?
#76Killah PriestPosted 7/15/2014 6:11:41 AM

Some people care where words came from and sport comes from disport. I'm sure if you look further down in the dictionary there is a definition of sport that addresses this.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#77libertangoPosted 7/15/2014 6:13:51 AM
Worknofun370 posted...
libertango posted...

It's not that the words of the definition aren't agreed upon. It's that the words of the definition are not strong enough to objectively categorize many activities.

"an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc."

How do we decide if something is athletic? How do we decide how much skill or physical prowess is required? Is taking a subway to work a sport? You might argue that it is an athletic, and competitive activity, requiring skill and physical prowess.
---
My goal now is to play a lot more Doom. I feel I haven't played enough Doom. - Bobby Fischer
#78Worknofun370Posted 7/15/2014 6:21:02 AM(edited)
libertango posted...
How do we decide if something is athletic?

By seeing if it fits the definition of athletic. (EDIT, i'm dumb and can't read.)

How do we decide how much skill or physical prowess is required?

We don't, the definition you just provided doesn't say anything about a minimum level.

Is taking a subway to work a sport? You might argue that it is an athletic, and competitive activity, requiring skill and physical prowess.

Then make that argument if you can support semantically how it fits the definition.
#79libertangoPosted 7/15/2014 6:20:10 AM
Worknofun370 posted...
libertango posted...
I deduce what you support, based on what you are against. Since you are against the idea that there isn't a strong definition of sports, I deduce that you believe there is a strong definition that provides you the ability to objectively categorize any activity as sport or not-a-sport. And you appear to be frustrated by the fact that you can't impose your definition on other people.

So you assumed, and then assumed again, and then assumed some more. Good job, slugger.

Making assumptions is not a vice in itself. We can't do anything without the ability to make assumptions. I won't pretend as though I can't make obvious deductions. If you disagree with my assumption, then deny it and clarify. But are you not arguing exactly for what I say you are?
---
#80Worknofun370Posted 7/15/2014 6:22:17 AM
libertango posted...
Making assumptions is not a vice in itself. We can't do anything without the ability to make assumptions. I won't pretend as though I can't make obvious deductions. If you disagree with my assumption, then deny it and clarify.

Sure thing slugger. You keep thinking that.