This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why you should play Divinity : Original Sin

#21GTL581Posted 7/14/2014 2:27:49 AM
Dollarman_2005 posted...
I tried.

I got bored having to read everything and not having things like vendors being displayed clearly. I got maybe 20 minutes in. If you can't captivate a player in the first half hour, you did your game wrong.

It has archaic tones that older gamers miss but that doesn't mean it's fun for people who want a deep RPG feel without all the nonsense.

20 minutes is nothing, that means you just made it to the first town and called it quits. it captivated me, as well as many others, so i'd say they did their game right. and it seems like that deep rpg feel and what you call "nonsense" most likely go hand in hand. the deepest of rpgs are tedious to the point where you immerse yourself and feel like you are playing a role due to all of the little things you can influence. this game does that better most games since the early 2000s. it's fine if you don't like the game, but don't say that they made their game wrong because it couldn't hold your attention.

and god forbid players have to figure things out for themselves. if you want to know who vends what, then talk to people, see what they have to say/trade, and either remember or put a marker on them describing what they're all about.
---
3DS FC: 0834-1778-4100
pm me for an add
#22SinfullyvannilaPosted 7/14/2014 3:49:07 AM(edited)
It does clearly label vendors though, I don't know what this guy is talking about.

Kinda sad for the guy that his attention span is so low.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
#23ThatPersonGuyPosted 7/14/2014 4:21:01 AM
I love it how literally the second post was people running in to complain about overzealous fanboys.
---
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it"
- Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
#24heeeee1eeeeePosted 7/14/2014 4:32:33 AM
Tried it. Dragon Age 2 was better.
I'm 19 btw. Most teenagers like me cant get into 2D RPGs, no voice acting, slow paced games like this.
---
Who needs a SigNaTuRe!
#25blax34dmPosted 7/14/2014 4:48:11 AM
phy2jsh posted...
The-Dilemma posted...
Ningishzida posted...
If I wanted to read the link, I would have off my own back.

Merely posting the thoughts of others is dumb.

But then, passion often overrides reason. I find fanboyism of a game is inversely proportional to knowledge of it.

As Einstein said, if you can't explain something yourself, you don't understand it.

I like how you're using that Einstein quote that concerns itself with pure empirical knowledge while talking about opinions about a video game on a topic on a video game message board.

Criticises other people's lack of original thought by quoting Einstein!? Classic.

LOL! I was thinking the same thing.

On topic: It's a seriously great game. Play it if it's your thing.
#26kelemvorPosted 7/14/2014 5:26:48 AM
It's hilarious reading criticisms from the casual gaming crowd about "having to read" and not having quest arrows or linear straight path dungeons.

This game wasn't designed for you, have fun with Dragon Age 3
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#27samuraigaidenPosted 7/14/2014 5:54:45 AM
heeeee1eeeee posted...
I'm 19 btw. Most teenagers like me cant get into 2D RPGs, no voice acting, slow paced games like this.

Trolls will troll. Also, guess what? "2D RPGs, no voice acting, slow paced games" are popular enough among "grown ups" that they don't need you teenagers. Go play Pokemon or something.
#28zonobiaPosted 7/14/2014 6:16:36 AM
Ningishzida posted...
Merely posting the thoughts of others is dumb, have you none of your own?

Did you ever think perhaps the TC agrees whole-heartily with the content of the link he posted? In that case, it would have been dumber to retype a bunch of thoughts that have already been shared. He agreed with it and wanted to share it with others in case they hadn't seen it (I know I hadn't). You shouldn't be condescending to someone else who politely shared an article...it makes you look bad.

Ningishzida posted...
Most of the bandwagon jumpers haven't played anything like D:OS in the past, so they think it's some kinda monolith of originality.

I've played through about 50-60% of this game so far, and I have to say, it is quite enjoyable. I don't know if I've heard it called a "monolith of originality"....but it is a sort of love letter to to gaming conventions that have been nearly extinct in popular gaming in the last 10 years. The hand holding that has infected RPGs of the last decade is at a minimum in Original Sin. That, combined with all the other positives going on (see original link from TC for details) makes for a very positive experience. The only few negatives I've experienced are things like inventory management...which is easy to overlook in favor of all the positives.
#29heeeee1eeeeePosted 7/14/2014 8:01:32 AM
samuraigaiden posted...
heeeee1eeeee posted...

Trolls will troll. Also, guess what? "2D RPGs, no voice acting, slow paced games" are popular enough among "grown ups" that they don't need you teenagers. Go play Pokemon or something.

I'm just voicing out my opinion on what I think about the game.
As you said this game is popular among grown ups. It might be popular but only to a small portion of the gaming community. Most of us will find the game tedious and very slow paced. Can't you see that the new generation likes the hand holding thing with the new RPGs.
---
Who needs a SigNaTuRe!
#30DiviDudePosted 7/14/2014 8:10:09 AM
I'm not sure who's the bigger idiot: Ningishzida or anyone who responds to Ningishzida.