This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why you should play Divinity : Original Sin

#31samuraigaidenPosted 7/14/2014 8:39:25 AM
heeeee1eeeee posted...
Most of us will find the game tedious and very slow paced. Can't you see that the new generation likes the hand holding thing with the new RPGs.

Although you are just being a troll on GameFAQs, I'll be honest and say I actually agree with your sorry excuse for a troll post.

Most people who got into gaming in the last console generation (PS360) aren't going to understand what's great about Divinity Original Sin. That's why I bought it full price, despite having a huge backlog.

We, the "not teenagers" "hand holding hating" gamers, are supporting this game because it offers the level of quality we used to expect from games and rarely get anymore.
#32HighOnPhazonPosted 7/14/2014 9:01:52 AM
Ning is very opinionated and an elitist but he likes really good games so I can't fault him for that.

He said something in another topic about how in 10 years, nobody will be playing Divinity: Original Sin. While I really enjoy the game and it's been a breath of fresh air for me (I personally give it a 9/10) I don't think it will stand the test of time like Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape. There is just something about those games that will always be considered masterpieces of Computer Gaming.

D:OS is good, but it will not be a game that people still talk about and play 10 years from now.
---
PC Gaming - The Only Way
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#33codyorrPosted 7/14/2014 9:31:32 AM
Is there a boxed edtion? No? Ok, I'll pass. Now talk about Laptops vs desktops some more.
#34JohnMafiaPosted 7/14/2014 9:51:32 AM
HighOnPhazon posted...
Ning is very opinionated and an elitist but he likes really good games so I can't fault him for that.

He said something in another topic about how in 10 years, nobody will be playing Divinity: Original Sin. While I really enjoy the game and it's been a breath of fresh air for me (I personally give it a 9/10) I don't think it will stand the test of time like Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape. There is just something about those games that will always be considered masterpieces of Computer Gaming.

D:OS is good, but it will not be a game that people still talk about and play 10 years from now.

If the only games that interest someone are ones that people will be playing 10 years from now, then I truly do feel bad for that person. They should move on from gaming as a hobby with those expectations.
---
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1173050/wilson-cruz.gif
http://d22zlbw5ff7yk5.cloudfront.net/images/cm-28790-0508f1032d1c7d.gif
#35GTL581Posted 7/14/2014 10:21:52 AM
HighOnPhazon posted...

the way the game is being received and given how vocal the people who like it are, i could see it having a very strong cult following for years. not to mention user generated content for the game could help its longevity for god knows how long. and due to the success of it, i'd say another divinity game will be out in a few years. all of these things will sure as hell contribute to people talking about it 10 years from now, so outlook on that seems good at the moment
---
3DS FC: 0834-1778-4100
pm me for an add
#36chandl34Posted 7/14/2014 10:24:10 AM(edited)
JohnMafia posted...
HighOnPhazon posted...

If the only games that interest someone are ones that people will be playing 10 years from now, then I truly do feel bad for that person. They should move on from gaming as a hobby with those expectations.

Yeah, but replayability is important. I remember back when I got BG2 in 2000, I replayed it 3-4 times in a row (not always reaching the end), trying to see all the different ways I could play it. I won't be replaying D:OS for many years. In my case, I can compare the game to M&B:Warband (with over 1000 hours played in the past 5 years), or to Dwarf Fortress that I played non-stop for a solid 3 months, or to Desktop Dungeons which would've gotten a similar amount of play if it wasn't interfering with my RL responsibilities.

Doesn't make it a bad game. Grim Fandango is amazing, but I won't be replaying it every year. But... I'll probably replay it more than I will D:OS.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#37GoldninjaPosted 7/14/2014 10:29:01 AM
heeeee1eeeee posted...
samuraigaiden posted...
heeeee1eeeee posted...
Tried it. Dragon Age 2 was better.
I'm 19 btw. Most teenagers like me cant get into 2D RPGs, no voice acting, slow paced games like this.

Trolls will troll. Also, guess what? "2D RPGs, no voice acting, slow paced games" are popular enough among "grown ups" that they don't need you teenagers. Go play Pokemon or something.

I'm just voicing out my opinion on what I think about the game.
As you said this game is popular among grown ups. It might be popular but only to a small portion of the gaming community. Most of us will find the game tedious and very slow paced. Can't you see that the new generation likes the hand holding thing with the new RPGs.

Wait. You like the hand holding? You like being led around like a five year old with something annoying telling you what you can or can't do every five minutes?
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
#38JKatarnPosted 7/14/2014 10:47:03 AM
ThatPersonGuy posted...
I love it how literally the second post was people running in to complain about overzealous fanboys.

The two are synonymous. That's why they call them "fanboys" and not "fans", they cannot take (constructive) criticism of their beloved game/series/system. That is also why I always take user reviews of games with a heaping helping of salt.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#39JKatarnPosted 7/14/2014 10:50:50 AM
heeeee1eeeee posted...
samuraigaiden posted...
heeeee1eeeee posted...
Tried it. Dragon Age 2 was better.
I'm 19 btw. Most teenagers like me cant get into 2D RPGs, no voice acting, slow paced games like this.

Trolls will troll. Also, guess what? "2D RPGs, no voice acting, slow paced games" are popular enough among "grown ups" that they don't need you teenagers. Go play Pokemon or something.

I'm just voicing out my opinion on what I think about the game.
As you said this game is popular among grown ups. It might be popular but only to a small portion of the gaming community. Most of us will find the game tedious and very slow paced. Can't you see that the new generation likes the hand holding thing with the new RPGs.

Actually with most gamers falling in the "18-34" age bracket, the gaming community is indeed full of "grown ups" (well, physically anyway, mentally and intellectually it's an extremely mixed bag).
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#40turtlebeach21Posted 7/14/2014 11:24:21 AM
Dollarman_2005 posted...
I tried.

I got bored having to read everything and not having things like vendors being displayed clearly. I got maybe 20 minutes in. If you can't captivate a player in the first half hour, you did your game wrong.

It has archaic tones that older gamers miss but that doesn't mean it's fun for people who want a deep RPG feel without all the nonsense.

Lol, modern "gamers" folks. Back to call of duty, kiddo.