This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can...a motherboard die?

#1TheWWEDunksterPosted 7/14/2014 3:59:33 AM
My internet has been supremely slow of late (works fine for my roommates, and on my tablet). It will occasionally not even show up on my computer. At first, this made me think I needed a new wireless card.

Then I was doing some video editing, and it was processing much slower than normal. I recieved a BSOD (don't recall the exact error message) attributed to my RAM. I had this issue about a year ago, but replaced the RAM and had no further issues.

My thought is that with both of these issues cropping up, could it be the motherboard that's dying? Or do I just have bad luck, and have to replace my RAM and Wireless Card? Is there a way to test?
---
Gamertag: The Dunkster91
"I just think of Marshawn as being Russell's monstrous pet that he uses to destroy the defense." - EstabIished
#2LordSeiferPosted 7/14/2014 4:36:40 AM
of course motherboards can die

but thats not the first place you should be looking.
---
^ this
#3KharilllePosted 7/14/2014 5:09:36 AM
Had a friend whose laptop motherboard died 3 times in about 7 months. HP. They said they had a whole batch of faulty motherboards and he had to curse them to replace it with a different batch.

Not sure what he saw when it packed it in.
#4TheWWEDunkster(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2014 5:29:39 AM
LordSeifer posted...
of course motherboards can die

but thats not the first place you should be looking.

Its not the first place I'm looking. First place was the wireless card, but the fact that the RAM is being an issue is making me believe its the motherboard.

I just don't want to replace the wrong part.
---
"I just think of Marshawn as being Russell's monstrous pet that he uses to destroy the defense." - EstabIished
#5kill2thisPosted 7/14/2014 5:36:08 AM
Run memtest.
#60cu_87Posted 7/14/2014 5:41:22 AM
It can, most of the time it's the capacitors.
---
"A mine is like a lover. You have to be gentle, so she welcomes you moist and hot." - Sheldon Skaggs, Witcher 2
#7Spidey555Posted 7/14/2014 5:50:22 AM
My motherboard died on my old computer, basically had to upgrade everything else after that.
---
PS4: Spidey555
Steam: Spidey555
#8TheWWEDunkster(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2014 9:35:45 AM
kill2this posted...
Run memtest.

Just did. Came back with no errors found.
---
#9dunkisPosted 7/14/2014 9:48:34 AM
I'd assume either your HDD or a malware infection first. Do an HDD test if you can. I use seatools at work, but that depends on you burning a disc for it and then booting to it. Otherwise lookup my malware removal guide on the tech support sub-forum.
---
NNID: TheDunc | Steam: Sir Soyeldimzelf
#10watertankPosted 7/14/2014 10:02:37 AM
I actually have something very similar (kind of). Got a BSOD attributed to RAM several months ago and computer freezes the same way every time I do something intensive. otherwise works fine (I'm also plugged in all the time so have no idea if wireless is broken, i'll check).

But yeah I ran memtest several times, no errors. Replaced HDD, since old one failed, still same error. Kept the laptop on ice during intensive sessions, still hangs, downgraded gpu drivers (this series new ones are faulty) still the same bs crashes. I kinda just gave up. Browses the internet and does word processing fine, sooo... yeah.
---
PSN: watertankk
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t92/muttley1211/bug.gif