This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would you get an SSD as a main drive?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would you get an SSD as a main drive?
1 year ago#1
The lowest size SSD for me would be 480GB and I would consider it if it were less than 200. How about you?
Attack Jet - Division 1 (World) | Fighter Jet - Division 1 (World)
Fighter Jet - Division 1 (Toronto), Rank #5
1 year ago#2
I elected for a 1TB HDD for about $50 instead of springing for an SSD at the moment. I've lived with HDDs for my entire life and I'm not about to switch as a student.

Once I'm working year-round I'll join the elite ranks.
1 year ago#3
Of course. I currently have a 250gb (SSD) as my main, a 80gb (SSD) for scratch disk space and a few TB (HDD) for storage.

If you're in the market for a 480gb for less than 200, NewEgg has a Mushkin Chronos 480GB for $190 with promo code EXLEMC2393 today:
1 year ago#4
Yeah I only use SSDs internally.
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs
1 year ago#5
I got ~300GB SSD and its perfect.

Enough space to install stuff but not too much to where I can get lazy and somehow fill 3tb.
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
1 year ago#6
I'm using an SSD as my "main drive" right now if by that we mean most programs of any weight at all are installed to it. I have much more HDD storage space but it's a file repository, few programs are actually on it. For that matter, I'm pretty sure I have more data on SSD than HDD, aside from emus I don't really do huge collections of pics, movies, music, etc.
1 year ago#7
i'm getting by with 120GB and have only used it for a week now and frankly cannot go back to regular HDD for OS.
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
1 year ago#8
I got a 120GB SSD and 4.5TB spread across 3 mechanical drives. No regrets.
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
1 year ago#9
I have used my SSD as my main drive for years and the regular HD for my second drive for all the games. I don't think I'll ever use a regular HD as a main ever.
i5 4670k @ 4.2ghz / 8GB DDR3 Ripjaws / GTX 770 SLI / Cooler Master GX 750W / Cooler Master CM 690 ADVANCE II case / Asus 24' 144hz / Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 mobo
1 year ago#10
For my new build, I opted to use a 250GB SSD as my only drive until I fill it up. I only have the bare essential programs on it and then whatever current games I'm playing. I just uninstall a game if I know I'm not going to touch it soon enough to justify its waste of space. I'm trying to hold out until SSDs are cheap enough that I can jump up to a 500GB or 1TB for a reasonable price. My laptop will still be my workhorse for school work when it comes back around.
NNID: TheDunc | Steam: Sir Soyeldimzelf
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would you get an SSD as a main drive?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived