This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need a decent build to play WoW

#1PungabiPosted 7/14/2014 9:00:47 AM
Hey people I am thinking about getting my first gaming PC and I wanted to get into WoW, I'm completely lost though. I'm also on a budget and was wondering is it possible to build or buy a PC for $300 or less that would run it without any technical problems, I don't mind playing on medium settings or anything just not looking for any framerate stutters or slowdowns. Any suggestions or builds? Thanks!
#2GoIrish80Posted 7/14/2014 9:03:41 AM
Get a job, that's my suggestion.

And you can not like that response all you want, but when you're asking if there are any PC's available to play games for $300 (even if that game is WoW, which is not graphic intensive) AND you're stating that you don't want any framerate slowdown, you're just not going to get many good responses.

Double your budget and get something actually worth owning. And even then it's on the fringe.
#3Pungabi(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2014 9:27:46 AM
GoIrish80 posted...
Get a job, that's my suggestion.

And you can not like that response all you want, but when you're asking if there are any PC's available to play games for $300 (even if that game is WoW, which is not graphic intensive) AND you're stating that you don't want any framerate slowdown, you're just not going to get many good responses.

Double your budget and get something actually worth owning. And even then it's on the fringe.

Well, thanks for the suggestion. I already got a job, but these bills are killing me and if I get another job then I won't have any time to play :\
#4justtellhimPosted 7/14/2014 9:30:10 AM
Here you go

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HB44YJ

This can handle WoW at medium settings quite well. $250 after rebates and such. Of course, I would recommend a higher budget if you are looking to play WoW seriously.
#5Pungabi(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2014 9:33:45 AM
justtellhim posted...
Here you go

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HB44YJ

This can handle WoW at medium settings quite well. $250 after rebates and such. Of course, I would recommend a higher budget if you are looking to play WoW seriously.

I appreciate the build, how much more do you think I would need to put down if I wanted to play in the long run?
#6Bane766Posted 7/14/2014 10:10:25 AM
I'll be honest with you, WoW is not a very demanding game. You mostly need an ok Graphics card, and a decent amount of RAM and you are good to go. Low RAM can make your experience suck, even with a fantastic graphics card.

As I said, it's not a demanding game at all. My kid runs it fine on a 4 year old comp with an integrated graphics card. Sure it's not maxed, but the game is VERY functional and he can raid fine.
---
MSI GT60 15.6" : I7-3630QM, GTX680M/4GB GDDR5, 12GBDDRIII, 750GB/HD
Douleur Peur Mort
#7chimichanga XDPosted 7/14/2014 10:14:41 AM
For an all-low build, I'm pretty sure an AMD APU build can run it well.

I DID NO PRICE RESEARCH. THIS IS JUST OUTDATED GUESSING ON PRICING.

Processor 100 USD
Mobo 100 USD
Case 50 USD
RAM 50 USD
Hard drive 50 USD
PSU 30 USD
--Total: 380 USD

Windows 100 USD

Monitor 80 USD
Keyboard 10 USD
Mouse 10 USD
--Total: 100 USD

Grand total: $580
#8justtellhimPosted 7/14/2014 10:21:47 AM
Depending on your FPS and resolution preference (assuming 1920x1080, 60 FPS), I think Golrish pretty much hit the nail on the head with a $600 budget MINIMUM recommendation.

But if you absolutely needed a build right now, simply replacing the AMD APU with an i3 and dedicated GPU will greatly improve performance. Something like this would probably suffice.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fwprRB
#9PhilOnDezPosted 7/14/2014 10:29:50 AM
Don't go with an AMD processor if you want to raid. I used to play on a phenom II x4 and 25 mans just weren't doable on any fight that required precise movement and trash or fights with lots of adds would give me single digit frame rates if the game didn't just crash altogether.

If I were making a build solely for wow I'd go with an i3 4130, gtx 750/r7 260x, a B85 board and 4 gigs of ram. Those parts alone are going to run pretty much your entire budget so you definitely need to up it a bit. You could get by with integrated graphics before picking up a gpu though, I played it on worse for a long time before my phenom II system.

I would play the game on an i3 and integrated graphics over any AMD CPU and a Titan. AMD just hasn't improved per clock performance at all since then. NB4 AMD defense force telling me they play wow 'fine' on fx processors and that their anecdotal evidence is worth more than mine.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#10SampsonMPosted 7/14/2014 10:42:44 AM
If your budget is around $300, I'd just shop around for a prebuilt on sale. Best Buy, Officemax, Costco, Woot, etc might run a sale on a prebuilt desktop. At that point, pick it up. Later on you can slap in a better graphics card when you get some more money.
---
An artist is a creature driven by demons. He dont know why they choose him and hes usually too busy to wonder why.