This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

In your opinion what has been the best RPG this last decade?

#141Sans PantsPosted 7/15/2014 8:01:15 AM
Shadow Hearts: Covenant. It came out in September 2004, so that's "this last decade", right?
---
I was hiding the end in the dream unconquered, hoping that this day will be a wonderful day.
#142ThomasR26Posted 7/15/2014 8:11:32 AM(edited)
Kind of a tough one, I don't think I can really narrow it down to a specific one so I'll list a bunch I enjoyed.

Dragon Age Origins
KOTOR 1(Just outside the decade mark though)
KOTOR 2
Persona 4 Golden
Persona 3 FES
The Last Remnant (not amazing, but I enjoyed it more than I expected)
Lost Odyssey (Disk broke so I haven't finished it fully)
Fallout New Vegas (both with and without mods)
Valkyria Chronicles
Mass Effect 2
Disgaea (All of them)

There's many more I've probably forgotten about or reading through the thread again will trigger my memory, but that will do.
---
psn: Kill3rsEnvy - Pawn - Fubiki 41 Warrior - Dark Arisen
#143RecinoPosted 7/15/2014 8:08:27 AM
Over all:
World of Warcraft

Personal:
Bravely Default

Personal runner up:
Tales of Graces F
---
Slow down, buddy! Just because people can read it doesn't mean it isn't crap!
#144PropetMuhammadPosted 7/15/2014 8:20:21 AM
Persona 4 to be honest, also Xenoblade and the Mass effect trilogy
#145DarkCaptain3Posted 7/15/2014 8:36:41 AM
SnowxNeverLeft posted...
FFXIII Trilogy.
/topic

Automatically like this person right here for having the guts to state they like the game despite others saying they hate it and yet others just jumping on the bandwagon without playing it doing the same. :)
---
"So... are you satisfied now?",
Zelkova______________Gamestop Manager, Major League Gaming Sponsored Player
#146DarkCaptain3Posted 7/15/2014 8:39:38 AM
Namord1 posted...
FF X (that monster arena is something else... and the int'l version is awesome).

Not in the last decade didn't come out and the TC already stated that remakes do not count since its the same game.

Vindris posted...
Tales of Symphonia

While I like this answer this also wasn't in the past decade sadly.
---
"So... are you satisfied now?",
Zelkova______________Gamestop Manager, Major League Gaming Sponsored Player
#147TwilightEchoesPosted 7/15/2014 8:44:51 AM(edited)
apolloooo posted...
The Witcher 2's broken, crappy, clunky, dysfunctional combat should safely prevent it from making it into any list of top 10 RPGs/action games.

Agreed. Despite all the gushing over the game, the combat design is poor (even after all the updates). I really hope that The Witcher 3 improves greatly on this, because I like what the combat system is going for.

Anyway, in my opinion, I'd have to say Fallout 3 and NV. People harp on FO3 a lot, but I think it's better-deisgned experience than NV and in less need of mods to fully enjoy (denser locations, less world barriers, less bugs, less back-and-forth quest design, etc). NV, however, expanded the gameplay systems and improved the depth and writing a lot. The joy of discovery and progression in these worlds were just amazing to me.
---
[Insert an "[Insert witty saying or joke]" sig here]
#148AllgorhythmPosted 7/15/2014 8:45:30 AM
It depends by what you mean by "this last decade".

If you are using your words precisely, this last decade would start on Jan 1 2011. IMHO, the best RPG released, regardless of platform, from then till now is Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

If you are one of those imprecise people who start counting by zero and think that this last decade began on Jan 1 2010, then, IMHO, the best RPG released from then till now is Nier, narrowly beating out Resonance of Fate and both marginally ahead of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

If, by this last decade, you are referring to the past ten years, then you are referring to 7/15/2004 to 7/14/2014 (the date of your post). IMHO, the best RPG released during those ten years is Mass Effect.
#149Sans PantsPosted 7/15/2014 9:04:20 AM
IMHO, the best RPG released from then till now is Nier, narrowly beating out Resonance of Fate

I couldn't play Nier that much. It was depressing and subversive and the MC is unnecessarily-ugly. I mean, look, there's more than just extremes. I understand not wanting to make him a bishonen JRPG protagonist, but they could've made him look a bit less like a potato that got run over by a truck and was glued back together by someone who's never seen a potato before. Also, he needs to put some freaking clothes on.
---
I was hiding the end in the dream unconquered, hoping that this day will be a wonderful day.
#150AxtlarPosted 7/15/2014 9:11:24 AM
Xenoblade, if only for great execution. I'd say Mass Effect if the sequel's didn't ruin the trilogy.
---
PM for 3DS code/Steam ID. http://tinyurl.com/kcqajde
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APWTJMyM4qg