This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

In your opinion what has been the best RPG this last decade?

#151Brutal_FelixPosted 7/15/2014 9:16:47 AM
FFX
---
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz // ASRock Z77 Extreme4 // Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970
Samsung 840 Pro Series 256 GB // Ripjaws X Series 8 GB
#152NewbiusPosted 7/15/2014 9:16:54 AM
EnmaDaio2588 posted...
Between 2004 and 2014 eh? My favorite RPG was Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans on the DS. Easily the most fun I've had with any Dragon Ball Z game and every moment Monolith Soft spends not working on its sequel is time they're wasting...nothing against fans of Xenoblade Chronicles but DBZ:AotS is just way, way, more fun.

Funny because Attack of the Saiyans is made by the same people that made Xenoblade: Monolith Soft.
#153NewbiusPosted 7/15/2014 9:18:14 AM
but as for my favorite RPG, I'd have to say Xenoblade.
#154PABBPosted 7/15/2014 9:18:49 AM
Chrono Trigger's DS port.
#155elaukaPosted 7/15/2014 9:25:44 AM
Skyrim, Fallout 3, or Mass Effect
---
GT-Elduka1 (if you want to add me tell me your from here)
Hail to the King Baby
#156leon_trunksPosted 7/15/2014 9:29:46 AM(edited)
Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion. Yeah, I said it. Bite me.
#157beatzeldain87Posted 7/15/2014 10:39:11 AM
Tales of Vesperia and xenoblade
#158pkdragonPosted 7/15/2014 11:09:12 AM
King's Bounty : Armored Princess, if it counts. It's a strategy game, but has some very strong rpg elements and an rpg structure.

The Last Remnant was pretty fantastic on the jrpg front, though I never did beat it. Record of Agarest War, for all of it's crippling flaws, had very impressive scope and I probably spent more hours with that than any other jrpg this generation.

So I really can't say, but probably one of those three.
#159CalamityFNBPosted 7/15/2014 11:15:13 AM
It's hard to list the best, as none of them have been good enough to really surpass the others, though I'll make a list of the ones that came close in my opinion.

Consoles:

Fallout: New Vegas (I liked it. It tried something new over Fallout 3 and improved the gameplay quite a bit. The story depth was also improved, not necessarily the stories.)
Fallout 3 (Great for it's time, although it ignored quite a bit of mythos from the first two games. It had the best ideas over the two, just couldn't execute them that well at times.)
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of The White Witch (Not the greatest game by far. But compared to what was released this generation, it's up there as one of the best on consoles.)
Nier (Overrated at times, but a unique experience that most games this generation could barely provide)

I personally don't like the Elder Scrolls games, Dragon Age: Origins/2, and the Mass Effect Series but I can see there significance. Any other games I ignored I probably haven't played, as there are actually quite a few on consoles, albeit, maybe not the best, but they're still RPG's if you're interested in them. If you're really into RPG's. Then the best way to play a variety of them is on Handhelds. Due to the lower budget needed to make these games, they can be released easier and have a higher quality.

I avoided listed any games from the PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube generation because it's easy to mes up the dates. Though judging from the previous posts, Rouge Galaxy, FF12, and Dragon Age 8 are already in the catergory.

There are plenty of RPG's. People just need to learn to look and be willing enough to try them.
#160marraxPosted 7/15/2014 11:17:33 AM
Dragon Age: Origins wins hands-down in terms of overall playability, although I wish there were more reward for taking the "dark" path. You're forced to take the "good" path or lose some of your best characters.

Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim, Oblivion, really all belong in the same bucket. They're the same game with different skins. I've put thousands of hours combined into all four, and maybe 10% of those hours are what I might call memorable.

I was hoping for something good from Bravely Default but sadly the dialog is so terrible and plot so slow it detracts from what is a fantastic-looking game with an interesting battle system.
---
i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 8Gb DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX760 2Gb | Win7 64 Ultimate