This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

In your opinion what has been the best RPG this last decade?

#171kilaudePosted 7/15/2014 12:52:09 PM
Xenoblade
---
FC: 2638-0092-9141
#172AnimorganimatePosted 7/15/2014 12:55:40 PM(edited)
I like Aw3someness's categories, so I'm going to expand on my previous post:

Best Handhled RPG and JRPG: Persona 4 Golden for PS VITA.

Best WRPG: Divinity: Original Sin

Best Casual RPG: Mount & Blade: Warband (I'm listing it as a casual RPG because I can sit back and relax with it and not play it for a while, then pick it back up again without missing a beat, all the while making either tons of progress or little progress . . . which is pretty casual to me).

Best ARPG: Titan Quest (with Grim Dawn shaping up to be the next decade's best).

Worst RPG: Gothic 4. What a way to kill the best cRPG franchise around. If only they had kept it as a new game in a separate series, I wouldn't care as much. Then Risen came out, and I was okay with Gothic's demise, because I loved Risen and felt like it could be the new Gothic . . . until Risen 2 reared its ugly pirate head. Risen 2 isn't terrible, but it's not what I want in a Gothic/Risen game. So sad.
---
. . . methodical, exacting, and worst of all, patient.
#173AllgorhythmPosted 7/15/2014 3:09:15 PM
Sans Pants posted...
IMHO, the best RPG released from then till now is Nier, narrowly beating out Resonance of Fate

I couldn't play Nier that much. It was depressing and subversive and the MC is unnecessarily-ugly. I mean, look, there's more than just extremes. I understand not wanting to make him a bishonen JRPG protagonist, but they could've made him look a bit less like a potato that got run over by a truck and was glued back together by someone who's never seen a potato before. Also, he needs to put some freaking clothes on.

I gave Nier high marks because of the atmosphere. It had a visceral quality to it that would come back to me long after I had played the game. The JP PS3 version, BTW, does have a better looking protagonist.
#174KaushadPosted 7/15/2014 3:11:47 PM
Tie between Fallout newvegas and world of warcraft (all, but if one specific, TBC)
---
Let us assume that for the sake of assumption that I am always right.
#175AllgorhythmPosted 7/15/2014 3:18:01 PM
Axtlar posted...
Xenoblade

I'm a big fan of the Xeno franchise having played all games starting with the PS Xenogears. Xenoblade was good but the Wii was the wrong platform. It would have been great on the PS3 or 360 with a robust game engine. Except for Deus Ex: Human Revolution, I stayed away from sequels. In my mind, in order to qualify as the "best", the game should be original and not a version up of something done previously. I thought Human Revolution was a big enough departure that it could be judged on its own merits. I judged Mass Effect on its own merits and felt that it should not be penalized because its excellence resulted in sequels.
#176takethathuskerPosted 7/15/2014 3:36:45 PM
Persona 3. It's storytelling is surprisingly sophisticated, and teen suicide is a subject that I don't think has been touched in the medium outside of it. Still one of my favorite games.
#177NingishzidaPosted 7/15/2014 3:43:16 PM
Animorganimate posted...
Best Casual RPG: Mount & Blade: Warband (I'm listing it as a casual RPG because I can sit back and relax with it and not play it for a while, then pick it back up again without missing a beat, all the while making either tons of progress or little progress . . . which is pretty casual to me).

Don't confuse playing a game casually with casual RPG, it makes you look foolish.
#178MonadAlvisPosted 7/15/2014 4:24:46 PM
Allgorhythm posted...
Axtlar posted...
Xenoblade

I'm a big fan of the Xeno franchise having played all games starting with the PS Xenogears. Xenoblade was good but the Wii was the wrong platform. It would have been great on the PS3 or 360 with a robust game engine. Except for Deus Ex: Human Revolution, I stayed away from sequels. In my mind, in order to qualify as the "best", the game should be original and not a version up of something done previously. I thought Human Revolution was a big enough departure that it could be judged on its own merits. I judged Mass Effect on its own merits and felt that it should not be penalized because its excellence resulted in sequels.

Nintendo funded Xenoblade, and they own MonolithSoft now. If it would have been for another platform, it likely wouldn't have been at all.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Wtzjg.jpg | http://i.imgur.com/Gjc1M.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/MfpFa.jpg | http://i.imgur.com/ql0Ai.jpg
#179paramite12Posted 7/15/2014 4:33:48 PM
I'd say KOTOR but it barely misses the time frame. I might have to go with Mass Effect 2.
New Vegas was really good too though...
I put more hours into Skyrim than pretty much every game I've ever owned but I still think ME2 and NV are better haha.
---
trolls, trolls everywhere
#180Kad-ManPosted 7/15/2014 8:30:24 PM
Dragon Quest VIII