This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

In your opinion what has been the best RPG this last decade?

#181Ticking_DeathPosted 7/15/2014 8:47:46 PM
JRPG: Persona 4 Golden
WRPG: Mount & Blade: Warband
cRPG: Divinity: Original Sin

Honorable mention to Dragon's Dogma for being surprisingly good despite how much it was held back by its console exclusivity. Dem black bars.
---
MSI Z87-G45 ATX LGA1150 | i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair XMS 1x8 GB DDR3-1600 | Win7 Ultimate
Using a bow sure has its drawbacks. :V
#182TheSchrefPosted 7/15/2014 11:53:20 PM
TropicMoon10 posted...
Dark Souls

This or Dark Souls 2, probably.

DS1 would probably take it if it weren't for the poor port they gave to PC + the game was pretty dead online by the time I played it.
#183SuperSuikodenPosted 7/15/2014 11:55:24 PM
GiarcII posted...
Lost Odyssey is so much better than 90% of the games listed so far that it's shocking that it took 30+ posts before it came up.

Tales of Vesperia is up there too.

+1
---
Xbox|Steam: Call Me A Hero
http://raptr.com/Call_Me_A_Hero
#184KOTRwhoopsPosted 7/16/2014 2:16:33 AM
The ones I've really enjoyed in the last 10 years:

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Fallout 3
Dragon Quest VIII
Lost Odyssey
Tales Of Vesperia
Final Fantasy XIII (get over it haters)
Dark Souls
Xenoblade Chronicles
---
PLAYING - LOZ: Link Between Worlds (3DS), Dark Souls: PTD (PC), Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
PSN / XBL / NN - Robioto, STEAM - Robioto555
#185tryforcePosted 7/16/2014 2:46:34 AM
KOTOR series plus SWTOR (beaten all 8 class stories)
Suikoden 5
#186Ivany2008Posted 7/16/2014 3:10:08 AM
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Suikoden 5
.Hack Quarantine
.Hack G.U 1-3
Eternal Sonata
Tales of the Abyss/Legendia/Vesperia
Xenoblade Chronicles
#187jernasPosted 7/16/2014 3:38:27 AM
Demon's Souls
---
uh
#188AllgorhythmPosted 7/16/2014 9:43:41 AM
MonadAlvis posted...
Allgorhythm posted...
Axtlar posted...
Xenoblade

I'm a big fan of the Xeno franchise having played all games starting with the PS Xenogears. Xenoblade was good but the Wii was the wrong platform. It would have been great on the PS3 or 360 with a robust game engine. Except for Deus Ex: Human Revolution, I stayed away from sequels. In my mind, in order to qualify as the "best", the game should be original and not a version up of something done previously. I thought Human Revolution was a big enough departure that it could be judged on its own merits. I judged Mass Effect on its own merits and felt that it should not be penalized because its excellence resulted in sequels.

Nintendo funded Xenoblade, and they own MonolithSoft now. If it would have been for another platform, it likely wouldn't have been at all.

Understood and not faulting Nintendo at all. I certainly appreciate their support of a great franchise and enjoyed Chronicles. I'm sure I'll also enjoy Xenoblade Chronicles X and have already preordered it. As one who still plays a lot of SNES, PS, PS2, Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast games; the lower production values of Chronicles X compared to games like Dragon Age: Inquisition, Witcher 3, FF XV, Cyberpunk 2077, etc. will not diminish my enjoyment of the game.

On the other hand, when it comes to evaluating the games to determine which is the 'best' RPG, one of the factors should be the degree to which the player is immersed in the game environment. The Wii U hardware is simply not capable of delivering the immersive experience that we've seen in the trailers of Inquisition and FF XV. I would very much like it if the Xenoblade games had the same production values as top tiered RPGs on PlayStation and XBox platforms. Nevertheless, even on the Wii and Wii U, they are great games and I strongly recommend them.
#189Cool_Dude667(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2014 1:52:16 PM
Kuposaurus posted...
My favorite JRPG is definitely Persona 4, while my favorite Western RPGs are Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

What game is the best starting point for the Persona series? I was always abit put-off by it since High School seems to be such a huge setting, I liked Shin Megami Tensei IV alot tho
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#190r0ge00Posted 7/17/2014 2:01:24 PM
Cool_Dude667 posted...
What game is the best starting point for the Persona series? I was always abit put-off by it since High School seems to be such a huge setting, I liked Shin Megami Tensei IV alot tho

If you're put off by the high school thing, then none of them. Persona 1 and 2 for the PSP are pretty solid though if you want to give them a try. Persona 3 for PSP or or Persona 3 FES for PS2 are also great. Persona 4 Golden for Vita is the best according to many people. If you like SMT IV, you should give SMT: Nocturne a try. It was SMT 3 in Japan.