This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

In your opinion what has been the best RPG this last decade?

#21NingishzidaPosted 7/14/2014 2:57:21 PM
Warband
Vampire Bloodlines
Mask of the Betrayer
Storm of Zehir
Mysteries of Westgate
#22PhilOnDezPosted 7/14/2014 3:11:55 PM
Cool_Dude667 posted...
What era of WoW is your favorite? I absoultely loved roaming Tarren Mill killing puny alliance players and grinding the arena ladder during Burning Crusade, but WotLK was where I had enough and I was tired of blizzard making accessible to casual players. I liked how you had to EARN your gear by hardcore PvPing or PvE raiding.

I'm not the one you asked but BC was my favorite for PvP and Wrath was my favorite for PvE. I quit early on in Cata, and the week I played of Mists (via scroll of resurrection) was more like I logged in twice, tried to make myself spend my talent points, and then AFKd for a few hours because I couldn't believe they'd dumbed the game down that much.

I haven't really come across anyone who's disagreed about BC being the best for PvP, even if 2v2 was horribly unbalanced (and probably still is).

Wrath is my favorite for PvE because I feel like they nailed the difficulty. Vanilla was way too hard and honestly most people didn't have a computer good enough to even run the 40 man raids, that was just way too many people (my phenom II system struggled in 25 mans). Less than 10% of players finished Naxx attunement and less than 1% cleared it. Also, most of the fights weren't hard because they were well designed, but because of a combination of 40 people causing lag and the fights just being poorly designed/programmed, even in BC and Wrath lots of the AQ40 fights were still glitchy. BC was a bit better if only because of 10/25 man raid limits, and most of the fights were decently designed/implemented. The high end was still on the hard side and still not that many people cleared black temple/Sunwell but it was definitely a lot more than cleared Naxx. With Wrath, they introduced Hard Modes (Ulduar) and Heroic modes (coliseum/ICC). This allowed nearly anyone to see all of the content but still gave the hardcore raiders something to set their sights on (I know one person who cleared ICC25 heroic and no one who did it on 10).

I also didn't mind the badge gear, you can complain about 'welfare' epics all you want but I raided (warrior tank) nearly every week for the entirety of the expansion and literally did not get a raid drop relevant to the content that was out/I was running. The only raid drop I had was a shield from Naxx 25 that dropped during an achievement run after coliseum was already out. Everything I had was either crafted or from badges, without the badges I never would have been able to progress. Slightly unrelated but I eventually just gave up on tanking due to the lack of drops and ran ICC25 as a dps one night, got both parts of shadow's edge and a cryptmaker in one run, plus a few pieces of armor if that says anything about my luck with tanking gear during that expansion :P

You also asked about JRPGs which is what my favorite RPG falls under. Persona 4 (Golden) was a great ride from start to finish (well... Maybe not start to finish, the first three hours was kinda meh but once the plot started happening I couldn't put it down, not too bad a for a 70+ hour game).

For WRPGs, if I can call a series as a whole, Mass Effect. If I have to pick a single game probably FO:NV. I don't play many WRPGs though, I tend to stick to third person action games for the most part.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#23Sir_Meowcat_EsqPosted 7/14/2014 3:23:51 PM(edited)
My what-I-thought-was unpopular opinion (surprised to see it mentioned already), Final Fantasy 12. Right up there beside Ultima 7/Wizardry 7 in my all-timers.

And now I try to hold my tongue from mentioning more... there can be only one best!
#24SinfullyvannilaPosted 7/14/2014 3:22:07 PM
Sir_Meowcat_Esq posted...
My what-I-thought-was unpopular opinion (surprised to see it mentioned already), Final Fantasy 12. Right up there beside Ultima 7/Wizardry 7 in my all-timers.

Same here. I was LTTP with Ultima and Wizardry though.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
#25Arucard05Posted 7/14/2014 3:26:58 PM
maybecalls posted...
Mount and Blade Warband

Can you (or anyone I guess) give me some idea of why this game is well regarded? I tried it out the other day, and it struck me as being pretty lame. I'm open minded though, these days, so I'm willing to be enlightened.

In any case, Persona 4 Golden is my favorite game of all time. So that.
---
http://www.bewaretherobotsquad.com/
B<3R
#26NingishzidaPosted 7/14/2014 3:34:34 PM
Arucard05 posted...
Can you (or anyone I guess) give me some idea of why this game is well regarded? I tried it out the other day, and it struck me as being pretty lame. I'm open minded though, these days, so I'm willing to be enlightened.

You probably just suck at the game, everyone does when they first start playing.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/69622506
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/69634752
#27Sir_Meowcat_EsqPosted 7/14/2014 3:36:02 PM
Sinfullyvannila posted...
Sir_Meowcat_Esq posted...

Same here. I was LTTP with Ultima and Wizardry though.

Well, you have great tastes then, hah. LttP is like my favorite game ever... but I'm playing along with the common labels here (something I don't like doing) and I don't consider it the same kind of game (aka that pesky undefinable "RPG" term).
#28Sand_CoffinPosted 7/14/2014 4:30:29 PM(edited)
I would vote for either Persona 4, Valkyria Chronicles (though personally I feel its more Strat then RPG), Mass Effect (the first one) or Xenoblade Chronicles.

And yes, I realize this is the PC board and I named console games, save for ME, but that's where my votes go.
#29nickizgr8Posted 7/14/2014 4:30:36 PM
Whoa whoa whoa guys. Like IGN said in 2011 Dragon Age 2 is RPG of the decade. Only 6 more years until we see a better game than DA2.
---
Brothers and Sisters are sworn enemies Like PC Gamers and Xbox Gamers, or PC Gamers and Sony Gamers, Or PC Gamers and PC Gamers, Damn PC Gamers ruined PC gaming
#30DruujPosted 7/14/2014 4:53:28 PM
Single player experience without mods:

Deus Ex ( the original released in 2000)>Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines>GOTHIC 2>Star Wars: Knights of the Old republic>Mass Effect series>Jade Empire>Witcher>rest>Witcher 2.

Single player experience WITH addons/mods/plugins:

Morrowind>GOTHIC 2>Fallout3 (haven't played Las Vegas yet)>Oblivion (Skyrim was released after 2010)

MMORPG:

WoW. In 2000-2010 nothing closely compares to WoW. (Post 2010 Star Wars The Old Republic is a decent contender that adopts much of WoW core philosophies)

DnD Rules (or close) RPG :

Temple of Elemental Evil>Baldur's Gate 2> Neverwinter nights 1>rest ( I don't particularly like Dragon Age, maybe I am biased on this)

Hack and Slash Action RPG:
Torchlight>Diablo2 (path of exile,D3, Torch2 are post-2010)

Handheld JRPG:

Radiant Historia>Golden Sun Dark Dawn>Dragon Quest Series games

RPG is Role Playing Game so the genre diversifies rapidly since there are sooo many roles to play. These are just some categories I can identify and games I consider to be amazing in so many ways. It was a good- scratch that- Great decade for gaming. Be sure to try the Gothic 1 and 2.Had to mention it. It's worth it.