This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Going back to school to take A+ courses, so excited!

#1Ringo_88Posted 7/14/2014 3:46:23 PM
Going tomorrow to register! Haven't been this excited about something in a long, long time. I'm 26, and have been away from school for a good while. Getting on the road to becoming certified will help me down my career path, and get me into the IT field, which is my dream. Also need two classes to get my Associates, going to go ahead and see if I can do that as well. Tired of working the same damn job, ready to start doing what I love: working with computers! Just had to make this message, I can't contain my excitement haha.
---
i5-3570k@4.2/ Asus VG248 24" 144hz/ Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB OC / 8GB CorsairDDR3 1600/ Corsair650wTX/ Windows 8 64/ Hyper 212 Evo/ Samsung 840Pro 256GB SSD
#2DAP1MP13Posted 7/14/2014 3:52:02 PM
Well, congratulations and best of luck. Keep working hard bro, success will soon follow.
---
NYC. The City never sleeps, it's full of villains and creeps, it's where I learned to do my hustle, had to scuffle with freaks.
PSN ID: DAP1MP13
#3TimePharaohPosted 7/14/2014 3:52:38 PM
k
#4Unsugarized_FooPosted 7/14/2014 3:54:08 PM
Nice. If you love your work, you never really work. Ive taken pay cuts to have a job I enjoy, and its worth it. Now if you get a pay raise and you love it, then jackpot, brah.
---
"All I have is my balls and my word, and I don't break them for anyone!"-Tony Montana
#5SpazH3dPosted 7/14/2014 4:00:00 PM
Good for you! May you find your happiness and earn lots of dosh.
---
- My vision is augmented
#6GeminiX7Posted 7/14/2014 4:03:01 PM
Where are you going to school?

Also, I just passed the 802 and got my A+ certification yesterday, so if you have you have any questions, let me know, I'd be happy to help.

I too left the career field I was in(Nursing, hated it) to pursue my love of computers in the IT field. I'm planning to focus on Security, although I still plan to get certified in Linux, Cisco, SQL, Network+, Security + and get my MCSE.

Two months into my eight month course, and by the end of it I'll have all those certs. Actually getting my Windows 7 cert next week.
---
NNID/PSN/GT: GeminiX7
FC: 0748-3100-6541 [FS: Tangelia, Ivysaur, and Maractus]
#7gungunn101Posted 7/14/2014 4:34:13 PM
Good luck. IT is broad, so do you have any idea what you're looking into exactly? Also, I'd recommend working towards your BA part-time once you get your Associate.

TimePharaoh posted...
k

Not enough console peasants on the PC board today, huh? I guess I'll have to direct my dismissive attitude to some hard working fellow who doesn't deserve it.
---
If you are Amish and are 100% proud of it, put this in your signature.
#8CrimsonVendettaPosted 7/14/2014 4:39:10 PM
Sorry to hijack the topic, but GeminiX7, how was the transition going from nursing into your new career? I'm actually trying to move from medical technology to system administration by starting off with certifications.
---
Intel i5 4670k @ 4.5Ghz | Asus Z87 Deluxe | SLI GTX 780 | 256gb Samsung 840 Pro | 3TB Barracuda | Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB | H80i | Seasonic 1000w |
#9GeminiX7Posted 7/14/2014 4:56:22 PM
CrimsonVendetta posted...
Sorry to hijack the topic, but GeminiX7, how was the transition going from nursing into your new career? I'm actually trying to move from medical technology to system administration by starting off with certifications.

Well, I'm pretty much leaving the actual Nursing credits on the back burner as I'm in a certification program for the next six months to get all of those certs I previously mentioned. The program I am in helps you find work once you finish the program(helped my uncle - who has no prior comp knowledge - an 80k a year job in Dallas). If I'm not a fan of the prospects(top of my class, so who knows, maybe I'll get sent abroad to a place like Dubai ^_^) then I might apply for work in IT either at PSEG or at a hospital I worked at.

For Systems Admin, you essentially want the certs I mentioned. If you go on the CompTIA(The company who hosts all the "+" tests), they have a pretty good cert/career map for a bunch of IT professions.

Luckily, for IT, Certifications and experience matter ALOT more than degrees(rare to see someone with just a CS degree getting a job over someone with certs), so if you focus on getting those certs, you should be good.

Once I find a job I plan to get my bachelors(and eventually masters) in CS. I shouldn't have to wait too long as I can easily start working once I get my Network+ in addition to my A+.
---
NNID/PSN/GT: GeminiX7
FC: 0748-3100-6541 [FS: Tangelia, Ivysaur, and Maractus]
#10Cool_Dude667Posted 7/14/2014 4:58:04 PM
Boats
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi