This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Going back to school to take A+ courses, so excited!

#21HydroCannabinolPosted 7/14/2014 6:08:09 PM
GeminiX7 posted...
GeminiX7 posted...
HydroCannabinol posted...
I don't get this topic. I hate to burst your bubble but A+ won't do anything for you. I read about the 8 month 'course' you're taking though to get a range of certs but I wouldn't count your eggs before they hatch...

I'm not trying to be rude but the IT field is pretty competitive right now depending on where you live. Keep working at it man, it's my dream too to make 60k+ eventually doing IT instead of 30k rofl

I have some connections to get my foot in the door with some companies. And the A+ cert is just the beginning in a long line of certs. Honestly, the program is a bit throwaway(I'm sure the certs could be obtained without it) and I plan to eventually get my BS in CS(All my Gen ed credits are pretty much accounted for). The main reason I'm using the school is for the job placement. Besides my uncle(who went from just turning his life around to getting a 80k/year job) there are quite a few alum I've talked to who have gotten work in the GA area(state where the school is), outside the state(like my uncle, who works in TX), and abroad(met a man working in Dubai). And again, this is through the school. They have partnerships with many companies. They pretty much set you up with the different job openings and get you the interview while putting your name in the ear of the person hiring, but it's ultimately up to you to get the job.

I'm still young(24), so I know and am ready for the fact that I still have a ways to go and I don't think I'm going to have my "dream career" by Feb. But it's put me on the track to reach that goal, which is a great change to the aimless feeling I had prior to this.

Also, TC, as others have said, A+ isn't be any means worthless, as it's the foundation of pretty much any IT job, but you have to get more than that if you want to do literally anything else. Having A+ is like being able to use a calculator. It's a crucial skill, especially if you want to be in a math field, but it's so basic as to be meaningless if you don't follow up and learn more and there are many in the field who never needed it to advance.

But yea, no reason not to get the certification. It's something that can be studied for in less than a month. MUCH less if you have a history building computers.

Oh, btw, look up the Professor Messer videos on YT. EXTREMELY invaluable when it comes to studying for tests.

Also,

Edit: Hydro, what certifications do you currently have? No offense, but 30K seems a bit low for the field.

I only have an associates in networking, net+, and a watchguard cert. Most of the positions in Arizona pay less than 20/hr. It seems any job that pays decent wants 5+years experience or at least a bachelors but then again people do fluff up requirements.

Seems the biggest hurdle for me is over-saturation. I was working a job makin 12/hr with people who used to be network admins. I make 14/hr now and I do managed IT for small business throughout the valley. I mean I literally do server migrations and still that's all my company pays me. I get a company car and laptop though along with a crappy phone but I'll take it.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#22SilentHawk29Posted 7/14/2014 6:18:02 PM
Ringo_88 posted...
And Hydro, I'm not the one in the 8 month course, that's Gemini, he is very much further along than I. But this is big for me, to have a starting point, and to begin doing what I love.

If you know anything about computers at all, I'd just buy an A+ study guide book and go through that. It'll have a practice exam as well. It's what I did. Beats spending money on a class that would take longer than self-studying.
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg
#23Fear The ClownPosted 7/14/2014 6:26:03 PM
I was just recently stuck in that same kind of trap hydro. I recently transitioned from fast food management(store manager/partner) to get back into IT. Left 70k and found myself 6 months later working at geek squad for 14/h and then a managed service provider where there were 3 of us and I was the only 'technician' for 6 businesses, about 400 employees total, making 15/h and I had to pay for my own gas, laptop, and use my own car(but the hours were better than GS which is why I took it).

Luckily just turned that experience into a 50k/y job I actually just started today. Funny thing is it was through a recruiter that I had spoken to last July and they just recontacted me last month and asked for a newer resume and bam!

No certs(unfortunately) and I still have a year left on my MIS degree. Not bragging, just basically saying put yourself out here as much as possible and don't stop looking, if you've got decent experience you can find something.
---
i7-4770k@4.2GHZ | L337 GAMING Z87H3-A3X | GTX 760 2GB | 8GB DDR3
#24Renraku_SanPosted 7/14/2014 6:37:23 PM
GeminiX7 posted...
GeminiX7 posted...
Edit: Hydro, what certifications do you currently have? No offense, but 30K seems a bit low for the field.

If you work in Public Sector that would be about your starting salary.
---
"Free the herb, heal the nation, heal the sick." -Black Uhuru
#25GeminiX7Posted 7/14/2014 6:47:49 PM
SilentHawk29 posted...
Ringo_88 posted...
And Hydro, I'm not the one in the 8 month course, that's Gemini, he is very much further along than I. But this is big for me, to have a starting point, and to begin doing what I love.

If you know anything about computers at all, I'd just buy an A+ study guide book and go through that. It'll have a practice exam as well. It's what I did. Beats spending money on a class that would take longer than self-studying.

I agree. But again, the program for me is more about job placement and a fast track for the certs. The results speak for themselves.
---
NNID/PSN/GT: GeminiX7
FC: 0748-3100-6541 [FS: Tangelia, Ivysaur, and Maractus]
#26PanopictonguyPosted 7/14/2014 7:28:52 PM
What is this magical 8 month cert program that no one will mention the name of. I'm in GA and I want in!
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.
#27datopgamerPosted 7/14/2014 8:11:51 PM
Fear The Clown posted...
I was just recently stuck in that same kind of trap hydro. I recently transitioned from fast food management(store manager/partner) to get back into IT. Left 70k and found myself 6 months later working at geek squad for 14/h and then a managed service provider where there were 3 of us and I was the only 'technician' for 6 businesses, about 400 employees total, making 15/h and I had to pay for my own gas, laptop, and use my own car(but the hours were better than GS which is why I took it).

Luckily just turned that experience into a 50k/y job I actually just started today. Funny thing is it was through a recruiter that I had spoken to last July and they just recontacted me last month and asked for a newer resume and bam!

No certs(unfortunately) and I still have a year left on my MIS degree. Not bragging, just basically saying put yourself out here as much as possible and don't stop looking, if you've got decent experience you can find something.

I'm looking to get to 50k+ soon. Right now I'm at about $42.5k. Still haven't gotten any certs but I do have an associates in networking and I've been working at my current location for almost 4 years. Just gotta keep impressing the right people and I'll be there in no time.
---
Posted using GameFlux
Get it now for Android from Google Play!
#28gungunn101Posted 7/14/2014 8:29:44 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
gungunn101 posted...
Good luck. IT is broad, so do you have any idea what you're looking into exactly? Also, I'd recommend working towards your BA part-time once you get your Associate.

TimePharaoh posted...
k

Not enough console peasants on the PC board today, huh? I guess I'll have to direct my dismissive attitude to some hard working fellow who doesn't deserve it.

Oh I'm sorry, would you prefer if I pretended to care like you? I'm sure in five minutes you're going to be thinking "man I hope that guy is successful".

Whether I don't or not is besides the point. I could never see him ever again, but I won't comment for the sole purpose of their annoyance. But since you do, do you do this with every stranger you pass on a daily basis? Do you even see other people on a daily basis?
---
If you are Amish and are 100% proud of it, put this in your signature.
#29GeminiX7Posted 7/15/2014 5:22:55 AM
Panopictonguy posted...
What is this magical 8 month cert program that no one will mention the name of. I'm in GA and I want in!

Omnitech Institute. Again, the school itself is pretty throwaway(teachers themselves are good, but its obvious the administration, especially the president, is just in it for money) but the job placement is REALLY useful and the fast track for these certs is really good if you don't have the experience with things like Linux but are willing to learn. For instance, my dad has a certification in Cisco(i forget which) and the course he took for it at NJIT(He's originally a Chemical Engineer, but took the course for job advancement and his general love of computers) was three months long. The same course at my school is less than a month for the same certification.

If you aren't serious, you won't make it in the class, you won't pass the exams, and they won't do **** for you when finding you jobs, but again, I've seen proof both by family and former alum that they do find you good jobs if you put the work in.

Now, would I reccomend the school to everyone wanting to get into IT? Well, honestly I'd be wary before doing that. Most of the other students aren't serious about the program and can be downright insufferable at times. Also, the president of the school is a nutjob. If you can stomach that, it is a good program to get what you need to at least get started in the field, and at a higher level and base pay than someone who just has degrees and no certifications. I still plan to get my degrees as well though. They are pretty much required for management positions.

And to the people who only have degrees and work in the field, I don't mean to insult or downplay your achievements. I'm only saying that from hearing family, friends in the field, the professors and even some students(the ones serious about the program) have told me that having the certifications mean ALOT(only thing that matters more would be on-the-job experience) as it gives a very specific definition of your abilities. "Anyone can squeak through a class" as many would say.
---
NNID/PSN/GT: GeminiX7
FC: 0748-3100-6541 [FS: Tangelia, Ivysaur, and Maractus]
#30Killah PriestPosted 7/15/2014 5:30:42 AM
Wait you take classes for this?

I thought you just paid to take the test and took it whenever you wanted?
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.