This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sounds like an aftermarket cooler isn't necessary if I don't overclock?

#1rdking96Posted 7/14/2014 6:36:50 PM
Hey guys,

Going to be building my first gaming rig tomorrow or the next day!

Planning on going for an i5-4690k for the processor.

Did a little research on this but wanted to get gamefaqs thoughts - if I'm not overclocking, is the aftermarket cooler necessary and or worth the extra $30-$40?
---
"There won't be any money...but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness...So I got that goin' for me - which is nice."
#2cuteboi100Posted 7/14/2014 6:38:21 PM
Yes, this may vary depending on the cooler that you get with your processor but it might be loud, in which case you can install an aftermarket.
---
Attack Jet - Division 1 (World) | Fighter Jet - Division 1 (World)
Fighter Jet - Division 1 (Toronto), Rank #5
#3CllerjPosted 7/14/2014 6:39:20 PM
Or buy headphones.
---
Time and Patience are the strongest warriors.
Money and Power are the strongest villains.
#4datopgamerPosted 7/14/2014 6:40:20 PM
If you are sure you aren't overclocking then just get the 4690 and an h97 mobo. If you're unsure then stick with what you have. If you ever decide to overclock you can buy an aftermarket cooler.
---
Brought to you by GameFlux
Free GameFAQs app on Google Play!
#5BogePosted 7/14/2014 6:49:17 PM
My friends machine is LOUD. He has an AMD 965 with the stock fan. His temps are fine, but his machine is so noisy. Even if I don't overclock, I'll still probably get an aftermarket fan for the extra cooling and lack of noise.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#6rdking96(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2014 6:59:26 PM(edited)
Yeah - I'm on the fence.

Reason I'm going with the 4970k and the Z97 mobo is the awesome bundle deal at microcenter.

That being said, I'm starting think the only reason I am not overclocking is 'cause I'm new to gaming PCs. I've been getting super into the research and whole process and I haven't even built the damn thing yet! Odds are I'll probably end up overclocking sooner than later.

Is it a pain to install the cooler after the fact? I'll have to remove the mobo entirely if I want to swap out the stock cooler with an aftermarket one right?

Here's what I was thinking for a build by the way. Let me know if you have any suggestions - I haven't picked up the parts yet (doing that tomorrow), so it's not too late to make last second changes.

Core pieces
ASRock Extreme 4 ATX Mobo
i5 4690k 3.5 ghz
Crucial Ballstix 8 GB DDR3 1866
WD 1 TB 7200 RPM
MSI GTX 770
EVGA 600W 80+B
3 Extra Kingwin Fans
Undecided on the case...probably the Corsair 300R

Potential purchases:
Coolermaster EVO 212
Samsung 840 EVO SSD

Any other suggestions for solid cases in the <$100 range? The 300r and 200r cases seem to be getting great reviews for the price though.

With a wireless network adaptor, windows 8, a keyboard, and tax all thrown in with everything else listed above, I'm looking at $1200.
---
"There won't be any money...but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness...So I got that goin' for me - which is nice."
#7WilIDearbornPosted 7/14/2014 7:00:40 PM
rdking96 posted...
Is it a pain to install the cooler after the fact? I'll have to remove the mobo entirely if I want to swap out the stock cooler with an aftermarket one right?

Depends on your case. If you get one with a big cutout where the mobo sits like the 300R, you wouldn't have to remove it. It'd just be a matter of removing the heatsink, cleaning/applying paste then installing the new heatsink. As for how difficult that would be, well it depends on the specific heatsink but I doubt any of them nowadays are really that difficult.
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg
#8WormBoi3Posted 7/14/2014 7:02:06 PM
Pretty much. Though stock fans tend to be louder.
#9datopgamerPosted 7/14/2014 7:19:10 PM
Pretty easy to install. However you might have to remove the mobo to install the cooler unless your case has a big enough cutout to install the backplate. I've installed 3 of them and its pretty easy to do. Just make sure you clean off the old thermal paste before installing.
---
Brought to you by GameFlux
Free GameFAQs app on Google Play!
#10dementedlullabyPosted 7/14/2014 9:32:10 PM
I'd still buy one. Stock coolers aren't the best, Aftermarket coolers extend cpu lifespan.

I guess you can get away without though.
---
The passion of lovers is for death said she
The passion of lovers is for death