This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC Gaming Hardware Market Worth $21.5 Billion

#1SAfricanGamerPosted 7/14/2014 6:41:44 PM
Market analyst firm Jon Peddie Research (JPR) has revealed that the PC gaming hardware market is now worth over $21.5bn (12.6bn). This figure represents a sum which is over twice that of the console gaming market, according to MCV.

Contrary to the declining overall demand for PC hardware, where casual users are migrating to mobile devices, the research report points out that gaming specific hardware is set to continue to grow significantly over the next three years as PC gamers are now investing more in high end machines and components. "We continue to see a shift in casual console customers moving to mobile," said Ted Pollak, JPR Senior Analyst. "While this is also occurring in the lower-end PC gaming world, more money is being directed to mid- and high-range builds and upgrades by gamers."

Pollak went on to state that PC gamers are not interested in "pure content consumption platforms," i.e. gaming consoles, and committed PC gamers are willing to pay thousands for "the ability to play games at very high settings" whilst being able to do other desktop tasks such as content creation and video editing "with maximum horsepower at their disposal in a desktop ergonomic environment." JPR has also predicted that the current PC gaming hardware market is set to rise to a total value of $23.2bn (13.6bn) by 2017, and the market will be kept alive by the continual improvements in the performance of gaming PC systems.

http://hexus.net/gaming/news/pc/72077-pc-gaming-hardware-market-worth-215-billion/
---
I openly practise Theistic Satanism.
Do not let the word 'Satan' scare or anger you, the difference between Satanism and Theistic Satanism is light and day.
#2Shadow_AureliaPosted 7/14/2014 6:54:27 PM
I have a market analyst firm also its called Jim Gaffigan Research and I have found out that alot of people use computers.

My source for this claim: I have a market analyst firm so yeah trust me.
#3SAfricanGamer(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2014 11:21:09 PM
lel
---
I openly practise Theistic Satanism.
Do not let the word 'Satan' scare or anger you, the difference between Satanism and Theistic Satanism is light and day.
#4Unsugarized_FooPosted 7/14/2014 11:41:17 PM
Shadow_Aurelia posted...
I have a market analyst firm also its called Jim Gaffigan Research and I have found out that alot of people use computers.

My source for this claim: I have a market analyst firm so yeah trust me.

I trust you because you're Jim Gaf-gaf
---
"All I have is my balls and my word, and I don't break them for anyone!"-Tony Montana
#5darkstar4221Posted 7/14/2014 11:54:55 PM(edited)
That analysis is wrong on so many levels because gamers who have high end machines represent a small percentage of the pc gaming market. In the midst of an economic crisis with all the inflation and the rapid increase in the cost of living, no way in hell consumers can simply shell out $1000 for a gaming rig, that is the reason why pc sales are sluggish, it has nothing to do with the rise "mobile devices".

PC gaming is getting more popular because video game consoles are starting to cost as much as pcs. If pc gaming trumps over console it's not going to be because everyone owns an $1000 gaming rig. More like everyone owns a $500-600 gaming pc.
#6Pepys MonsterPosted 7/15/2014 1:29:06 AM
darkstar4221 posted...
no way in hell consumers can simply shell out $1000 for a gaming rig

A $1000 gaming rig is mid end. Plenty of people can afford that.
---
i7-4790K | EVGA GTX 780 3GB | 16GB G.Skill DDR3-1866 | 1TB Crucial M550 SSD | 4TB WD Black HDD | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Dark Rock Pro 3 | Antec EA-650 Platinum
#7wizardmonPosted 7/15/2014 3:23:28 AM
Pepys Monster posted...
darkstar4221 posted...

Even if you worked at mcdonalds, pay for your own bills, pay for your rent, live with roommates, and made about 10,000 dollars a year you should still be able to pay 1000 dollars for gaming computer. if you can't afford that you should consider moving somewhere cheaper or managing your money better.

I'm agreeing that 1000$ is near mid end for a gaming oriented desktop computer.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#8darkstar4221Posted 7/15/2014 4:37:10 AM(edited)
wizardmon posted...
Pepys Monster posted...
darkstar4221 posted...

Even if you worked at mcdonalds, pay for your own bills, pay for your rent, live with roommates, and made about 10,000 dollars a year you should still be able to pay 1000 dollars for gaming computer. if you can't afford that you should consider moving somewhere cheaper or managing your money better.

Okay than why is PC hardware sales still slumping? If $1000 is considered "mid end" that's not progression. As a matter the cost of a high end computer hasn't really dropped in price. The cost of the memory has gone up, Intel still has a monopoly over the X86 chipset as evident how they refuse to make their K processors drop below $200. Windows is still the de facto standard for PC gaming and that is always negative. The PC is still that clunky machine and you need to spend over $800-1000 money to get a stable gaming rig, that's not progression. And lol earning only $10,000 and you can easily afford a $1000 item. You have no idea how ridiculous that sounds, maybe a $500 pc would be reasonable.

It's going to take a while until the PC takes over consoles, and the only reason why PC might have momentum in terms of support and sales is because the console makers keep shooting themselves in the foot with their anti-consumer business practices.
#9JohnMafiaPosted 7/15/2014 4:20:59 AM
I think more people nowadays are building their own PCs. I know recent reports have said that prebuilt PC sales are slumping, but do they include PC parts too? I would think people who aren't all that savvy to build their own machines will probably rather spend $500 on a console than a pre built PC.

By the way claiming that someone making $10k a year should be able to afford a $1000 PC or just move to a cheaper place is one of the dumbest things I've read on the internet.
---
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1173050/wilson-cruz.gif
http://d22zlbw5ff7yk5.cloudfront.net/images/cm-28790-0508f1032d1c7d.gif
#10Englandfc1966Posted 7/15/2014 4:28:36 AM
darkstar4221 posted...
wizardmon posted...
Pepys Monster posted...
darkstar4221 posted...

Okay than why is PC hardware sales still slumping? If $1000 is considered "mid end" that's not progression. As a matter the cost of a high end computer hasn't really dropped in price. The cost of the memory has gone up, Intel still has a monopoly over the X86 chipset as evident how they refuse to make their K processors drop below $200. Windows is still the de facto standard for PC gaming and that is always negative. The PC is still that clunky machine and you need to spend over $800-1000 money to get a stable gaming rig, that's not progression. And lol getting earning only $10,000 and you can easily afford a $1000 item, you have no idea how ridiculous that sounds.

It's going to take a while until the PC takes over consoles, and the only reason why PC might have momentum in terms of support and sales is because the console makers keep shooting themselves in the foot with their anti-consumer business practices.

Only prebuilt PCs have been 'slumping'
---
Steam: Buffalosoulja