This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC Gaming Hardware Market Worth $21.5 Billion

#41ThePaleRiderpPosted 7/16/2014 7:36:39 PM
darkstar4221 posted...
wizardmon posted...
Is everyone just like, not capable of understanding the concept of moving to a better location? If you are honestly living in California or whatever tech utopia working at a restaurant because you don't have employable skills and can't afford college/training making 10k then rent a u-haul, drive to Minnesota or something and actually give yourself a chance to save some money up & get some good schooling while you are at it.

And wizardmon, I know you are taking shots at me, but I'm fine, the last thing I need is life lessons from you. If you think moving to another state is easy, than you have no clue about reality.

His post proves he doesn't. This reminds of that, "Why don't poor people just buy more money" joke only he's serious.
---
Valar morghulis
#42wizardmonPosted 7/16/2014 8:13:42 PM
bsballa09 posted...
You're kidding right? Spending 10% of your income on a gaming PC? This shows you live with your parents. A 10,000 dollar income is below poverty level as is.

Nope, lived in a apartment with two other roommates and split the rent, 250$ a month each. Lived there for two years and I miss the place already, but my aging father decided it would be a good idea to just put his house in my name so I was suddenly a homeowner and didn't need to rent anymore. He's a crazy bird person and doesn't believe in cleaning anything so as soon as he dies I'm going to have to deal with some odd 30+ cocktails and a couple pigeons, tear apart all the walls and carpet and just re-do all the house to clear out his years of bird hell.

Ten percent of my yearly budget spent on my hobby, then not needing to spend anymore on hardware for 4+ years after that doesn't sound strange to me
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#43ThePaleRiderpPosted 7/16/2014 9:07:19 PM
wizardmon posted...
bsballa09 posted...
You're kidding right? Spending 10% of your income on a gaming PC? This shows you live with your parents. A 10,000 dollar income is below poverty level as is.

Nope, lived in a apartment with two other roommates and split the rent, 250$ a month each.Lived there for two years and I miss the place already, but my aging father decided it would be a good idea to just put his house in my name so I was suddenly a homeowner and didn't need to rent anymore. He's a crazy bird person and doesn't believe in cleaning anything so as soon as he dies I'm going to have to deal with some odd 30+ cocktails and a couple pigeons, tear apart all the walls and carpet and just re-do all the house to clear out his years of bird hell.

Ten percent of my yearly budget spent on my hobby, then not needing to spend anymore on hardware for 4+ years after that doesn't sound strange to me

Key words right there.
---
Valar morghulis
#44CommonJoePosted 7/16/2014 9:22:51 PM
Its called saving your money. Outside of extreme circumstances (in which case you wouldn't even be worrying about gaming at all anyway) there is literally zero excuse for being unable to eventually save the money for even a crazy $3000+ build.

Its not hard to put away a certain percentage of your paychecks. And if it is, then again, gaming is the least of your worries, and as such, makes you completely irrelevant the topic at hand.
---
Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2. Lets revitalize this game eh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FUge6ghaIo&hd=1
#45darkstar4221Posted 7/16/2014 11:19:52 PM(edited)
CommonJoe posted...
Its called saving your money. Outside of extreme circumstances (in which case you wouldn't even be worrying about gaming at all anyway) there is literally zero excuse for being unable to eventually save the money for even a crazy $3000+ build.

Its not hard to put away a certain percentage of your paychecks. And if it is, then again, gaming is the least of your worries, and as such, makes you completely irrelevant the topic at hand.

Spending $3000 on a comp, that's not exactly saving your money, that's just being a spend thrift. Saving all your money just to blow it all on one computer I wouldn't call saving your money, unless you have the income to easily save and buy it. You save money but not buying things you don't need like a $3000 comp.
#46CommonJoePosted 7/16/2014 11:39:33 PM
darkstar4221 posted...
CommonJoe posted...

Spending $3000 on a comp, that's not exactly saving your money, that's just being a spend thrift. Saving all your money just to blow it all on one computer I wouldn't call saving your money, unless you have the income to easily save and buy it. You save money but not buying things you don't need like a $3000 comp.

You do understand that the point of saving your money is precisely for things like that, right? You save money to buy the things you can't afford to just buy outright in the here and now. Whether its a house, a car, or an expensive gaming computer it doesn't matter. There's no point in just hoarding money unless you're getting on in years and want to leave your loved ones money when you pass. And even then.

And regardless, if you're spending your entire savings, you're also doing it wrong. I keep 3 accounts going myself. A general checking account I keep my spending money in (which includes what i need for bills, necessities, etc), a savings account I never touch period (for emergencies and just for general saving), and another checking account I keep open to save money up for things like computer parts, tattoos, etc etc.
---
Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2. Lets revitalize this game eh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FUge6ghaIo&hd=1
#47darkstar4221Posted 7/17/2014 5:26:26 AM(edited)
CommonJoe posted...
You do understand that the point of saving your money is precisely for things like that, right? You save money to buy the things you can't afford to just buy outright in the here and now. Whether its a house, a car, or an expensive gaming computer it doesn't matter. There's no point in just hoarding money unless you're getting on in years and want to leave your loved ones money when you pass. And even then.

And regardless, if you're spending your entire savings, you're also doing it wrong. I keep 3 accounts going myself. A general checking account I keep my spending money in (which includes what i need for bills, necessities, etc), a savings account I never touch period (for emergencies and just for general saving), and another checking account I keep open to save money up for things like computer parts, tattoos, etc etc.

What is this a topic about personal finance? Yeah I know about that. I don't care if you can afford a $1000 PC or a $5000 PC. The point is if there is this huge demand for premium content why are PC sales are on decline which the article fails to mention. It's not because of the rise of mobile devices, it's mainly because of the global recession. If the global recession is effecting consumers on what they buy, the demand for premium hardware is not there (ie PCs that are $1000 and more), and this quote I find odd.

and the market will be kept alive by the continual improvements in the performance of gaming PC systems.

"Nvidia, Intel and AMD have enthusiast CPU and GPUs that are so powerful that, when combined with SSDs and fast memory, they absolutely trounce the computing power and gaming capabilities of the newest console generation," Jon Peddie, president of JPR explained.

PC improvements? Yeah improvements from Intel who releases a new of line of cpus that are hardly different from the last line of cpus (Ive Bridge to Haswell). The reason why Intel can do that is because they are a legitimate monopoly just like Microsoft, they are not as bad as Microsoft, but they can rig the market. Same thing nVidia and AMD when they release a new line of gpus, it's hardly different from the last one. What's worse they charge the same amount for the last line of gpus even though the difference is minimal, which is proof of the duopoly and the monopolistic nature of nVidia and AMD.

If the PC will overtake consoles in sales and development support, it won't be through the high-end, it will come through the mid-range I would say around the $550-$650 price range. Judging by the expectations of PC gamers (well in this board), I don't think the PC will overtake consoles in sales soon, it never will as long as windows is the de facto standard for pc gaming. If windows was a free and open source operating system, maybe but that's never going to happen. M$ would obviously lose billions of dollars selling licenses of windows as well give an opportunity for consumers to get away from the windows platform. Hence why windows is still the overpriced proprietary junk that it is. People are misinterpreting me, I looked at this article as a battle between consoles and the PC which I should have addressed in my initial post. And in that battle, price is a huge factor which is why I made a big deal about $1000 computers.
#48wizardmonPosted 7/17/2014 8:09:09 AM(edited)
darkstar4221 posted...
PC improvements? Yeah improvements from Intel who releases a new of line of cpus that are hardly different from the last line of cpus (Ive Bridge to Haswell). The reason why Intel can do that is because they are a legitimate monopoly just like Microsoft, they are not as bad as Microsoft, but they can rig the market. Same thing nVidia and AMD when they release a new line of gpus, it's hardly different from the last one. What's worse they charge the same amount for the last line of gpus even though the difference is minimal, which is proof of the duopoly and the monopolistic nature of nVidia and AMD.

I don't think you are quite understanding the massive level of R&D that goes into these developmental steps towards a better processor. They aren't just sitting on wads of un-released tech only choosing to release a small pittance of performance enhancements every few years. That 10% upgrade took millions of dollars, thousands of man-hours and countless revisions to attain.

I can't remember which episode it was, but Linus covered nvidia's research team on his WAN show telling about how they operate a few different teams at once, each working on their line of GPUs for about four years before they get released.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#49darkstar4221Posted 7/17/2014 9:46:10 AM(edited)
wizardmon posted...
I don't think you are quite understanding the massive level of R&D that goes into these developmental steps towards a better processor. They aren't just sitting on wads of un-released tech only choosing to release a small pittance of performance enhancements every few years. That 10% upgrade took millions of dollars, thousands of man-hours and countless revisions to attain.

I can't remember which episode it was, but Linus covered nvidia's research team on his WAN show telling about how they operate a few different teams at once, each working on their line of GPUs for about four years before they get released.

No Intels monopoly has to do with the fact that it's illegal to copy their chip designs, it's the same thing with AMD and the X86-64. Intels monopoly mainly has to do with patent law and sui genrus law.

If I were start a business and I wanted to produce X86 cpus, I would immediately go to jail and my business would be shut down, why? Because if I wanted to manufacturer an X86 cpu I either have to get a license from Intel first if I'm copying their chip designs or AMD if I'm copying their chip designs. Why do you think there is no other company in the desktop market producing X86 cpus other than AMD and Intel? Because ip laws creates a barrier to entry for companies who want to compete with Intel and AMD. It took AMD 10 years to get their cpus out in the market mainly because of their legal battles with Intel. Just using some of Intels technology can get you in jail. To avoid going to jail and continue my business I would have to create an X86 cpu that is completely different from Intels and AMDs which is impossible.

Here as explained in the article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiconductor_Chip_Protection_Act_of_1984
Prior to 1984, it was not necessarily illegal to produce a competing chip with an identical layout. As the legislative history for the SCPA explained, patent and copyright protection for chip layouts, or chip topographies, was largely unavailable. This led to considerable complaint by U.S. chip manufacturers—notably, Intel, which, along with the Semiconductor Industry Association (SIA), took the lead in seeking remedial legislation—against what they termed "chip piracy." During the hearings that led to enactment of the SCPA, chip industry representatives asserted that a pirate could for $10,000 copy a chip design that had cost its original manufacturer upwards from $100,000 to design.

Intel lobbied for the SCPA Act, I wouldn't be surprised if Intel lobbyist wrote the bill themselves. From 2003-2010 Intel was in the top patent recipients, this is a company whose product line consist of only cpus, ssds, and motherboards, yet they are patenting like crazy. Without the SCPA Act, the cost of cpus would be dirt cheap. Intel only spends millions of dollars on R&D (a lot of it unnecessary) to crush the competition even though they have the majority of the market-share, in other words they want to get rid of their only competitor which is AMD.