This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Logitech phasing out the G400s or prepping a revision?

#1SuperGamer5Posted 7/14/2014 10:43:27 PMmessage detail
I've had a G500 for the past two years, and it's served me very well. However, I have admittedly been a bit rough with it recently and it's starting to go out on me. However, I've been thinking about replacing it with an optical mouse for quite some time, so it appears that that time is now.

I was planning on getting the G400s, which seemed to be one of the better optical gaming mice on the market. However, I can hardly find them anymore. Best Buy no longer carries them at all, having wiped all stores of inventory and removing it from their website, and it seems like some other retailers have stopped selling them as well.

I did find them on Amazon for ~$40, and one of Overstock.com for ~$30. I'm fine with paying either amount (I'll have to look into Overstock's validity), but the sudden disappearance worries me. Are retailers getting rid of the G400s to prepare for something else that Logitech has in the pipeline? I'd hate to buy a G400s and then have it outdated a month later.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

In the meantime, I'm curious to know what PCH likes in regards to optical gaming mice.
#2TalksPosted 7/14/2014 11:04:01 PMmessage detail
No way, the G400s is a semi recent upgrade. I should know, I bought a G400 just before the s came out about a year ago.

Of course that's just speculation.
---
http://i.imgur.com/gBllw.jpg
#3SuperGamer5(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2014 11:06:50 PMmessage detail
Talks posted...
No way, the G400s is a semi recent upgrade. I should know, I bought a G400 just before the s came out about a year ago.

Hm, odd that it's gotten a bit harder to find them then.

Anyway, I read that my G500 has a 3-year warranty, and that Logitech will send me a free G500s if I contact them.

I wonder if they'd be willing to send my a G400s instead. I'd think they'd be cool with me technically "downgrading," though I don't see it that way. From what I've read, optical is definitely the way to go over laser.
#4WilIDearbornPosted 7/15/2014 5:23:00 AMmessage detail(edited)
I would say they might be preparing a G402, but we still haven't gotten a replacement for the G9X. :/

EDIT: Actually, after doing some research it seems the G402 may be a thing.

http://trademarks.breanlaw.com/86317063-g402-hyperion-fury.html
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg
#5Killah PriestPosted 7/15/2014 9:48:33 AMmessage detail
I complained that it was defective by design and proved it to their engineers and they agreed to stop selling it because it was a death trap for hands.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#6KillerTrufflePosted 7/15/2014 9:54:40 AMmessage detail
Overstock.com is Fry's online retail outlet as I recall, so it's legitimate. I personally wouldn't buy from them tho, because I despise Fry's with every fiber of my being, but if you're OK with them, Overstock.com is fine.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#7Bossdog421Posted 7/15/2014 9:59:18 AMmessage detail
SuperGamer5 posted...
Talks posted...

Anyway, I read that my G500 has a 3-year warranty, and that Logitech will send me a free G500s if I contact them.

I wonder if they'd be willing to send my a G400s instead. I'd think they'd be cool with me technically "downgrading," though I don't see it that way. From what I've read, optical is definitely the way to go over laser.

My g500 died a few months back, when getting a replacement i asked for a 400s instead. They didn't do it, received a 500s.
---
Type into Google - do a barrel roll
#8SuperGamer5(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2014 11:22:58 AMmessage detail
Bossdog421 posted...
My g500 died a few months back, when getting a replacement i asked for a 400s instead. They didn't do it, received a 500s.

Eh, might not even bother with the warranty then. I would like to "upgrade" to a G400s.

I really wish they'd go ahead and announce the new one, though. I think I'm just going to order a G400s and hope that it stays current for a while.
#9BogePosted 7/15/2014 12:34:58 PMmessage detail
SuperGamer5 posted...
Talks posted...

Yes, they will.

I had a G500s and if you listen closely with headphones, you can probably hear a faint screeching sound when you move your mouse or scroll a window around your desktop. I contacted them about the issue after learning it was an issue with the G500. I asked them if they could send a G400s instead since it doesn't have that issue...brand new G400s shipped to my doorstep.

Logitech is the best.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#10SuperGamer5(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2014 12:37:00 PMmessage detail
Boge posted...
Yes, they will.

I had a G500s and if you listen closely with headphones, you can probably hear a faint screeching sound when you move your mouse or scroll a window around your desktop. I contacted them about the issue after learning it was an issue with the G500. I asked them if they could send a G400s instead since it doesn't have that issue...brand new G400s shipped to my doorstep.

Logitech is the best.

Seriously?! I thought that was just an issue with my headphones picking up feedback from my HDD! It's always irritated me, but I didn't think there was anything I could do about it.

I'm definitely doing this. Thank you!