This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which of these two cheap laptops would be better for gaming?

#1YodaCrackersPosted 7/15/2014 12:18:00 AM(edited)
I've been looking at these two Lenovo laptops:

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaPad-15-6-Inch-Laptop-59406417/dp/B00HIYA4F2/
CPU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5 GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 8650G
6 GB RAM

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaPad-15-6-Inch-Touchscreen-59406579/dp/B00IO69GVQ
CPU: i5-4200M 2.5 GHz
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600
6 GB RAM

What do you guys think? Or you could suggest anything better on Amazon in that price range.
---
I have a supernumerary nipple.
#2PokenubPosted 7/15/2014 12:37:14 AM
I can suggest something better. Not a laptop.
---
Damn it.. I swear I had something for this..
#3Rio_RyoPosted 7/15/2014 12:41:14 AM
Hmm i cant see both laptops graphic cards, only "information not provided"
---
Money isn't everything, but everything needs money.
#4elsmittyPosted 7/15/2014 3:42:11 AM(edited)
both have intergrated graphics cards and as such will not be very amazing gaming machines. That being said my laptop with intel hd 4000 with an i7 processor is able to run league of legends at around 30 fps. And I was able to run the source engine games such as half life 2 and team fortress 2 really well.

But games such as Fallout 3 was a no go on that laptop.

I don't know that much experence with amd laptops so i'm not going to be able to give you a good comparison of those two computers.

But I can tell you that if you really want to get into pc gaming and a laptop is your only choice. You are going to want a laptop with a dedicated graphics card. And it's going to cost a hell of a lot more.

Then again this is gamefaq's pc forum so everyone is going to tell you to build your own tower. Which you probably should do if you are serous about gaming.
---
3ds friend code - 5069-4253-9174
steam profile - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198077085301/
#5reincarnator07Posted 7/15/2014 4:19:27 AM(edited)
I'd go with the AMD one. Integrated graphics is pretty much all AMD has over intel these days. That said, I'd go with a small tower before I used a laptop.

InB4 PharaohOfLaptops
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#6paramite12Posted 7/15/2014 5:43:30 AM
Gaming, laptop, and cheap. Pick two.
---
trolls, trolls everywhere
#7DawnshadowPosted 7/15/2014 6:25:02 AM
The main difference is the processor.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4200M-vs-AMD-A10-5750M

The Intel is /slightly/ better, but also slightly more expensive.

As noted, neither of those are going to be great for gaming. They will work, though-- I play games on a cheap two year old HP laptop sometimes. Just be aware that AAAs might not run, or you might need to turn the settings way down. (Indie games and older games should be fine, though.)

My suggestion in the long run would be to pick one of the laptops, then when you can spare the money get a gaming desktop to complement it. Steam recently introduced an in-home streaming feature; as long as you have a pretty good in-home network (ether wired or wireless-N should work) you can run the game on the desktop but have it send the video to the laptop and take input from the laptop.
---
*Turn Evil can now be cast on players. When used, it applies a small goatee and causes them to explain their diabolical plans while steepling their fingers.
#8PhilOnDezPosted 7/15/2014 6:32:09 AM
reincarnator07 posted...
I'd go with the AMD one. Integrated graphics is pretty much all AMD has over intel these days. That said, I'd go with a small tower before I used a laptop.

Thing is, this isn't their top shelf igp. It's actually not that much faster than the HD4600, about 10% was the biggest difference I could find in its favor.

This leaves the biggest factor as the attached CPU and a 2.5ghz dual core i5 is going to blow a 2.5ghz A10 out of the water. On the desktop side a 3.1 ghz i3 is a lot faster than a 4ghz A10 (~30% when threads are maxed out), take away the clock speed advantage and the gap widens even further.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#9LaggingRedPosted 7/15/2014 6:39:33 AM
If you want a decent gaming laptop then you should go for the Lenovo y50 series. If you're going for gaming and want the mobility of a laptop that comes with it then be ready to shell out $1000+. If you're just in it for the gaming then make your own pc. I had to make the same choice and I ended up choosing to build a tower.
#10blax34dmPosted 7/15/2014 6:47:39 AM
Both of those are going to really struggle. For gaming think of your increments as 750m then 765m then 860m then 870m then 880m (and the AMD near equivalents). Anything like intel's integrated graphics is not going to play much. The 860m level is where you should be pretty solid, and the 870m/880m is where you will be able to play pretty much everything on high.