This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

BS in CS + tech experience, would certs help?

#1dunkisPosted 7/15/2014 8:15:35 AM
Saw some topics flying around the board about IT stuff so I was curious and decided I'd just ask in my own topic instead of hijacking there. So to sum up my story, I'm going to college for computer science with the hope of eventually doing software engineering, possibly video game development -eventually- (I'll keep my goals realistic), but I realize that I don't have a portfolio of worthwhile projects and wouldn't want to jump right in even if I could. Meanwhile, I got lucky and landed a job at a local computer store being a tech. While I don't make crazy money, I'm better off than a lot of my friends doing other tedious jobs. So, as I said, I don't plan on being IT for all of my life, but I have experience here. My plan is to stick with IT for money and then work on programming and possibly indie game development in my free time until I build up a worthwhile portfolio that'd help land a job in the software/video game field. Of course, I don't plan on staying in my current town forever. However, if I were to move to a bigger city somewhere and tried getting hired either in a computer shop or in an IT department somewhere, would I still want certifications if I've a BS (albeit in CS with no IT classes) and experience backing me?
---
NNID: TheDunc | Steam: Sir Soyeldimzelf
#2Worknofun370Posted 7/15/2014 8:19:51 AM
dunkis posted...
However, if I were to move to a bigger city somewhere and tried getting hired either in a computer shop or in an IT department somewhere, would I still want certifications if I've a BS (albeit in CS with no IT classes) and experience backing me?

You should have zero trouble really. The experience will be worth more than the certs, and even the BS would be worth more.

There may be a business or two that demands a cert and won't hire you, odds are you wouldn't want to work there anyways.
#3yoda7797Posted 7/15/2014 8:43:26 AM
It really just depends what the requirements are for that company. The population of town I live is just a little over 100,000. I have a BS in IET (Hybrid of CS and EE) and zero certifications and before graduating I had about 2.5 years of experience in IT. After I graduated some jobs I applied for required a BS in a computer field, others required certification(s), and some required both. I have a friend who dropped out of college and is working a local computer repair shop. He tried getting me a job there, but they wouldn't even look at me because I didn't have any certifications, even though I have a BS. On the flip side, the place I work at wouldn't even look at my friend because he doesn't have a BS in a computer field.

TL;DR - It's not necessary with a BS in CS, but it wouldn't hurt to have them either.
---
There are only 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand Binary and those who don't.
I'm an engeneer enginere engenere ....... I'm good with math.
#4dunkis(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2014 9:01:09 AM
Alright, interesting. Kinda funny that pieces of paper have more merit than each other let alone more than general experience. I would assume a job (technically two, coming from my college's tech resource center) in IT would be more than enough to make up for lacking certification with a BS in CS just as a bonus if it came to deciding between me and another guy. Alright, I probably won't waste my time or money then, at least not until I struggle to find a job if it comes to that.
---
NNID: TheDunc | Steam: Sir Soyeldimzelf
#5Worknofun370Posted 7/15/2014 9:22:57 AM
dunkis posted...
I would assume a job (technically two, coming from my college's tech resource center) in IT would be more than enough to make up for lacking certification with a BS in CS just as a bonus if it came to deciding between me and another guy.

For the vast vast vast majority of companies.. it is.

For a small selection of companies with idiotic rigid hiring practices, it isn't.
#6protools1983Posted 7/15/2014 9:45:14 AM
Worknofun370 posted...
dunkis posted...
However, if I were to move to a bigger city somewhere and tried getting hired either in a computer shop or in an IT department somewhere, would I still want certifications if I've a BS (albeit in CS with no IT classes) and experience backing me?

You should have zero trouble really. The experience will be worth more than the certs, and even the BS would be worth more.

There may be a business or two that demands a cert and won't hire you, odds are you wouldn't want to work there anyways.

The bolded text is wrong wrong wrong. Experience in IT is EVERYTHING. It'll beat a degree any day in any respectable position. I say this with over a decade in the industry.
---
Xbox One - The console that made me the PC gamer I am today.
Yah like dahgs?
#7Orestes417Posted 7/15/2014 9:48:56 AM
You misread what he was saying. What he stated was the BS was worth more than the certs, even without the IT focus.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#8AcquirePosted 7/15/2014 9:52:19 AM
The real question is, why would you go into IT with a BS in CS? Go into software engineering. In IT, certs and experience will outweigh a BS in CS.
---
Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.
#9shmirlywhirlPosted 7/15/2014 10:01:43 AM
And yet, no matter what field you go in to, experience is way more valuable than any piece of paper.

Given equal experience, I can't see someone with 4 years in the field and some certifications being more valuable than someone with 4 years in the field and BS.
---
Now with 100% real fruit juice
#10Orestes417Posted 7/15/2014 10:02:39 AM
Perhaps he started in CS and learned that it wasn't the right career path. Happens quite a lot as people hit the real world. And no, certs (aside from some of the truly high end ones) will never trump a degree. Even if that degree is in underwater basket weaving, it still carries more weight than you basic cert exams that prove little more than mastery of lingo, the ability to pick the right multiple choice answer and a willingness to fork over cash.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.