This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

BS in CS + tech experience, would certs help?

#11LordOfLegaciesPosted 7/15/2014 10:08:01 AM
Degrees and certs help but in the world of IT experience is what counts above all. Don't get me wrong, you should always be racking up any relevant certs you can get your hands on but you should do fine for yourself as it is.
---
OUTSIDE NOW I'M TALKING TO JACK OUTSIDE NOW IT'S POURING OUTSIDE NOW WELL FINE OUTSIDE NOW NO I'M TALKING TO JACK OUTSIDE NOW IT'S POURING OUTSIDE NOW WELL FINE
#12Worknofun370Posted 7/15/2014 10:17:04 AM
Orestes417 posted...
You misread what he was saying. What he stated was the BS was worth more than the certs, even without the IT focus.

This
#13dunkis(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2014 11:34:04 AM
Acquire posted...
The real question is, why would you go into IT with a BS in CS? Go into software engineering. In IT, certs and experience will outweigh a BS in CS.

I addressed this in my post. I said that I -do- plan on going into software engineering and possibly video game development. -But- I honestly have little experience beyond programming crud for school. I wouldn't want to be hired straight out of college because I have nothing to show. I planned on self-programming to be properly motivated and educated after college. The idea is that I'd stick with IT, where I know I have enough skill and experience to make decent money, until I've programmed enough in my free time to have something big to show to land a nice job in software engineering.
---
NNID: TheDunc | Steam: Sir Soyeldimzelf
#14protools1983Posted 7/15/2014 12:37:26 PM
Worknofun370 posted...
Orestes417 posted...
You misread what he was saying. What he stated was the BS was worth more than the certs, even without the IT focus.

This

Yep, you're right. My bad.
---
Xbox One - The console that made me the PC gamer I am today.
Yah like dahgs?
#15ElementalWindPosted 7/15/2014 5:06:06 PM
I addressed this in my post. I said that I -do- plan on going into software engineering and possibly video game development. -But- I honestly have little experience beyond programming crud for school. I wouldn't want to be hired straight out of college because I have nothing to show. I planned on self-programming to be properly motivated and educated after college. The idea is that I'd stick with IT, where I know I have enough skill and experience to make decent money, until I've programmed enough in my free time to have something big to show to land a nice job in software engineering.
"My career goal is to delay working in my ideal field and spend a few years doing jobs I like less."
Why not apply for software dev positions right out of school? That doesn't keep you from going into IT as a backup plan.
---
"debates are contests of rhetoric, not argumentative rigor." -DragooneerZero
#16Worknofun370Posted 7/15/2014 5:07:15 PM
protools1983 posted...
Yep, you're right. My bad.

No worries man. :) I worded it pretty craptastically, you were just trying to help the TC out.
---
hasa diga eebowai
#17Orestes417Posted 7/15/2014 5:08:12 PM
Need to be applying for positions while *in* school. At least internships.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#18urtvPosted 7/15/2014 5:40:58 PM
get an internship.wont pay as much as your job or no pay at all but would be better experience.would look better on your resume than working as a local it guy
#19TomNook20Posted 7/15/2014 6:04:04 PM
If you're studying CS, you should apply for internships. Not IT internships, software development internships.

IT jobs will not help you get a dev job. I don't know why you have the idea that you need a ton of experience to get a dev job. Companies will higher you right after you graduate, and unless you have bad grades or simply don't try, you will not have a hard time getting a job.
---
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/098/7/4/tom_nook_by_themerce-d3dhi0q.png
http://www.gameswagonline.com/uploads/9/0/8/9/9089979/1372277527.jpg
#20cancerstormPosted 7/15/2014 6:46:45 PM
IT != cs
cs degree = software development
IT = managing (software) systems

your cs degree has almost nothing to do with IT and won't help getting an IT job at all
---
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2996/cancerstorm.jpg