This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

BS in CS + tech experience, would certs help?

#21AcquirePosted 7/15/2014 7:48:55 PM
dunkis posted...
Acquire posted...
The real question is, why would you go into IT with a BS in CS? Go into software engineering. In IT, certs and experience will outweigh a BS in CS.

I addressed this in my post. I said that I -do- plan on going into software engineering and possibly video game development. -But- I honestly have little experience beyond programming crud for school. I wouldn't want to be hired straight out of college because I have nothing to show. I planned on self-programming to be properly motivated and educated after college. The idea is that I'd stick with IT, where I know I have enough skill and experience to make decent money, until I've programmed enough in my free time to have something big to show to land a nice job in software engineering.

Do software development internships then. There's no reason not to. That's the point of internships. They hire people without experience knowing very well that they're going to be giving you smaller tasks on a team to get you that experience.
---
Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.
#22Cowboy082288Posted 7/15/2014 7:49:15 PM
dunkis posted...
Saw some topics flying around the board about IT stuff so I was curious and decided I'd just ask in my own topic instead of hijacking there. So to sum up my story, I'm going to college for computer science with the hope of eventually doing software engineering, possibly video game development -eventually- (I'll keep my goals realistic), but I realize that I don't have a portfolio of worthwhile projects and wouldn't want to jump right in even if I could. Meanwhile, I got lucky and landed a job at a local computer store being a tech. While I don't make crazy money, I'm better off than a lot of my friends doing other tedious jobs. So, as I said, I don't plan on being IT for all of my life, but I have experience here. My plan is to stick with IT for money and then work on programming and possibly indie game development in my free time until I build up a worthwhile portfolio that'd help land a job in the software/video game field. Of course, I don't plan on staying in my current town forever. However, if I were to move to a bigger city somewhere and tried getting hired either in a computer shop or in an IT department somewhere, would I still want certifications if I've a BS (albeit in CS with no IT classes) and experience backing me?

wall reinforced.
#23Worknofun370Posted 7/16/2014 7:48:39 AM
cancerstorm posted...
your cs degree has almost nothing to do with IT and won't help getting an IT job at all

While you are correct that CS and IT are two different things. You're rather incorrect that a CS degree will not help you get a job in IT though. It easily can.

One of the keys to being a good system admin/engineer is automating tasks. The more tasks that can be safely/securely automated the better. While any and all system engineers need to know how to script well (which a CS degree can help with), being able to actual code program solutions is a huge plus to that as well.

Simply put, it's rarely a bad thing to have a wealth of programming knowledge in a systems engineer, and if I was interviewing two people, one with a few crappy CompTIA certs and another with a CS degree... i'm taking the CS degree almost every time if the candidate is also a cultural fit.

Now if you toss in experience in IT on top of that CS degree, that's a very nice looking job candidate.
---
hasa diga eebowai
#24dunkis(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2014 8:03:08 AM
Alright, noted on getting software developing internships. I didn't think about that mostly because the money isn't there, but it could be more productive in the long run, especially if I get good fast enough that they end up straight up hiring me. Then I could still code in my free time making games until I feel ready to jump into video game development entirely.
---
NNID: TheDunc | Steam: Sir Soyeldimzelf
#25Worknofun370Posted 7/16/2014 8:27:47 AM
dunkis posted...
Alright, noted on getting software developing internships. I didn't think about that mostly because the money isn't there, but it could be more productive in the long run, especially if I get good fast enough that they end up straight up hiring me.

While I know the likelyhood is extremely small, if you happen to leave in my area (Southeast Michigan) I can for sure get you an intern position as a dev at the company I work for. We also hire a decent amount of those interns (Well, the ones who don't suck)
---
hasa diga eebowai
#26TomNook20Posted 7/16/2014 10:19:53 AM
dunkis posted...
Alright, noted on getting software developing internships. I didn't think about that mostly because the money isn't there, but it could be more productive in the long run, especially if I get good fast enough that they end up straight up hiring me. Then I could still code in my free time making games until I feel ready to jump into video game development entirely.

Unless you're making around 20 bucks an hour or more at your local computer store, you're probably going to get paid more at an internship.
---
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/098/7/4/tom_nook_by_themerce-d3dhi0q.png
http://www.gameswagonline.com/uploads/9/0/8/9/9089979/1372277527.jpg
#27Worknofun370Posted 7/16/2014 10:26:06 AM
Worknofun370 posted...

While I know the likelyhood is extremely small, if you happen to leave in my area (Southeast Michigan) I can for sure get you an intern position as a dev at the company I work for. We also hire a decent amount of those interns (Well, the ones who don't suck)

happen to leave in my area? I'm smrtz
---
hasa diga eebowai
#28Orestes417Posted 7/16/2014 10:30:57 AM
I'd make a wisecrack about Detroit public schools but the reality is too depressing.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#29Worknofun370Posted 7/16/2014 10:36:15 AM
Orestes417 posted...
I'd make a wisecrack about Detroit public schools but the reality is too depressing.

That's the truth.
---
hasa diga eebowai
#30ElementalWindPosted 7/16/2014 6:02:27 PM
happen to leave in my area? I'm smrtz
Well... it seems most of the people I know from downstate happen to leave the area...
---
"debates are contests of rhetoric, not argumentative rigor." -DragooneerZero