This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

JRPG's aren't really Role Playing Games

#11blade6321Posted 7/15/2014 10:56:56 AM
Garage_Man posted...
It's funny you say this because I absolutely HATE RPGs where I have to choose things. I've NEVER played a good "WRPG" where you choose things and has excellent character development and story.

You haven't played Vampire Bloodlines: the Masquerade?
---
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198044407572/
Whose eyes are those eyes?
#12Garage_ManPosted 7/15/2014 11:00:05 AM
blade6321 posted...
Garage_Man posted...
It's funny you say this because I absolutely HATE RPGs where I have to choose things. I've NEVER played a good "WRPG" where you choose things and has excellent character development and story.

You haven't played Vampire Bloodlines: the Masquerade?

I was hoping someone would respond. I'll check into it when I get back at the house.
#13ClashtonnPosted 7/15/2014 11:14:36 AM
Garage_Man posted...

Planescape Torment has tons of choice and has better character development and story than any other video game.
#14Canas_RenvallPosted 7/15/2014 11:20:53 AM
bluemoogle posted...
Indeed, JRPGS are rarely "real RPGs," but good luck convincing the large weaboo population on Gamefaqs of that. Also Goodluck making the argument without simultaneously coming across as elitist.

I prefer WRPGS to JRPGS any day of the week, but I still like a good number of the latter for what they are, even if they are bastardizations of the name/genre.

Says the guy named bluemoogle...
---
I don't see Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony. I see Mario, Zelda, Uncharted, Resident Evil, Gears of War, Alan Wake, Heavy Rain, etc. Play games, not companies.
#15NateRose89Posted 7/15/2014 11:29:29 AM
Garage_Man posted...

Planescape Torment, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura, Vampire Masquerade: Bloodlines, Fallout, Fallout 2, Neverwinter Nights, Neverwinter Nights 2, KOTOR, KOTOR II, Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Divinity Original Sin... The list goes on, have you even played any WRPG'S?
---
PSN ID: rockstock89
#16chandl34Posted 7/15/2014 11:42:34 AM
Almost any game with character improvement gets called an RPG. It's such a broad range of games, "best RPG" threads are kinda pointless. You might as well make it a "best game" thread and be done with it.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#17clowningPosted 7/15/2014 11:55:51 AM
The term "RPG" is very fluid and ambiguous. But generally, in terms of games, the genre is usually defined according to "RPG elements", such as levels, gear/skill progression, some sort of PC to NPC interaction (beyond that of NPC enemies), and a story.

Of course, you can think of games that have some of this that are not RPGs. Pretty much every game has a story, many have NPC friends/allies, many have some kind of gear/skill progression or levels. I personally find the use of these "elements" to be useless in defining an RPG, which I define as the player's ability to make choices in the game that affect the game world. These elements are just game mechanics, as far as I'm concerned, and not definitive of a genre.

So I agree that JRPGs are not RPGs. I consider them to be a type of interactive visual novel.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#18GTL581Posted 7/15/2014 11:56:14 AM
chandl34 posted...
Almost any game with character improvement gets called an RPG. It's such a broad range of games, "best RPG" threads are kinda pointless. You might as well make it a "best game" thread and be done with it.

this pretty much sums it up. the term rpg is slapped on to whatever games have you level up and progress your character(s), whether or not you're actually role-playing. like it or not, that's the way it is. i don't consider most jrpgs actual rpgs, but there's no point in fighting it, so just go with it
---
3DS FC: 0834-1778-4100
pm me for an add
#19NobyNobyManPosted 7/15/2014 12:12:59 PM
Most 'JRPGs' from the 4th generation (Genesis/SNES/etc) onwards are usually pixel hunting adventure games padded with 80s style computer RPG combat. I ******* love pixel hunting adventure games and 80s computer RPGs though, so I never really had a problem with the genre.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/martu12
http://i.imgur.com/MQ0WoJb.gif
#20blade6321Posted 7/15/2014 12:32:08 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]