This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

JRPG's aren't really Role Playing Games

#21DiviDudePosted 7/15/2014 12:42:22 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#22matu90rkPosted 7/15/2014 12:46:50 PM
I think the definition of the term transcended whatever original meaning the acronym once had.
#23mogexpress1Posted 7/15/2014 1:19:28 PM
Aren't CRPGs just luck driven trash collection simulators?
---
Daddy's home
Shut up gabe and take my money
#24clowningPosted 7/15/2014 1:22:33 PM
mogexpress1 posted...

Hahaha. That's a great description for many of them.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#25AskeladdPosted 7/15/2014 1:26:33 PM
The only thing all RPGs (for the most part) have in common is that the results or your actions are determined by stats that you build up over time by gaining experience. There is no role playing in the Diablo series, either, but that is one of the most successful western RPG series. All video game RPGs are inspired from pen and paper RPGs. Some choose to focus more on the role-playing, decision making aspect. Others on the stat mechanics of those table-top games.
---
TWSS hes speken end the wenner es E. There cen enle be ene.
"If it can fit in a Pokeball it can fit in a Gatorade bottle. I'mma catch it." NobleRoar
#26ChromaticAngelPosted 7/15/2014 1:36:29 PM
pothocket posted...
What we think of as "JRPGs" can be traced back to a game called 'Black Onyx" which was created by a westerner living in Japan trying to capture what he could of Dungeon & Dragons within the very limiting tech at the time.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/the-making-of-the-black-onyx/

nah, they are actually traced back even farther to Wizardry. Wizardry is so similar to JRPGs that the rights actually got bought by a Japanese company after Sir-Tech went out of business and they continue to make them primarily in Japan, despite the fact that Wizardry 1-8 were American made.
---
I am your savior. I am corruption. I am the angel, of your destruction.
I am perversion. Secret desire. I am your future, swallowed up in fire.
#27NingishzidaPosted 7/15/2014 2:33:28 PM
mogexpress1 posted...

Nice try, but no. To be luck-driven an RPG must almost never let the player modify the numbers in his/her favor. Since all CRPGs allows you to do that, they're not luck-driven. "Dice roll" might be the term you're looking for, but again, the result of the roll gets modified by the players decision-making skills, proving it's not luck-driven.

In D&D, a d20 is rolled during for an attack. But then the result is modified by stats and their derivatives. But if the rolls results in a 1, there's a critical miss no matter what, if the result is 20 then it's a critical hit no matter what. So there's a 5% chance an attack will miss or be a crit. But that's still not luck-driven, that's just a small element of luck which isn't the end of the world even if it's rolled, as the player can compensate for it in many ways.

Not sure what you mean by trash collection, are you implying there's alot of loot and it's all useless? You don't have to pick it all up, you know. In most CRPG's it's easy to tell if something has value, or is just another rusty sword.

Nice trolling attempt, but like most trolling attempts, it's more style over substance.
#28HighOnPhazon(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2014 2:54:52 PM
I think he's confusing CRPG's with garbage ARPG's like Diablo 3
---
PC Gaming - The Only Way
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#29Jprime666Posted 7/15/2014 2:58:26 PM
And yet they're better than western role playing games.
---
Fragrance of Dark Coffee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMnrl0tmd3k
#30NingishzidaPosted 7/15/2014 3:02:19 PM(edited)
Jprime666 posted...
And yet they're better than western role playing games.

You've convinced me with your rigorous well-thought-out argument. But please, tell me more!