This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

JRPG's aren't really Role Playing Games

#31HighOnPhazon(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2014 3:13:44 PM
Jprime666 posted...
And yet they're better than western role playing games.

Like I said, I like and in the past have enjoyed JRPG's but no, they are not better than WRPG's in the ROLE PLAYING aspect.
---
PC Gaming - The Only Way
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#32harcoreblazerPosted 7/15/2014 3:14:28 PM
Any games that involve these gameplay mechanics should be considered RPGs.

-Leveling up your character
-Developing skills and stats
-Stats affect gameplay
-Characters that have an specific role in combat.

Also, why do the variations of RPG even exist? I can understand some of them (MMORPG, Action RPG, Dungeon Crawling RPG) but JRPG and WRPG don't make sense.

We should just call them RPGs and that's it :/.
---
PSN/Steam = retrohunter95.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS4HQWWuqP8&feature=youtu.be
#33HighOnPhazon(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2014 3:17:35 PM
harcoreblazer posted...

-Developing skills and stats
-Stats affect gameplay
-Characters that have an specific role in combat.

Also, why do the variations of RPG even exist? I can understand some of them (MMORPG, Action RPG, Dungeon Crawling RPG) but JRPG and WRPG don't make sense.

Well, that is actually a good point.
---
PC Gaming - The Only Way
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#34AskeladdPosted 7/15/2014 3:19:56 PM
Well, traditionally there were certain elements associated with Japanese and Western RPGs, but as the genre expands and elements of east and western games start to homogenize, the terms JRPG and WRPG have become less relevant. I think that with time they will just die out.
---
TWSS hes speken end the wenner es E. There cen enle be ene.
"If it can fit in a Pokeball it can fit in a Gatorade bottle. I'mma catch it." NobleRoar
#35NingishzidaPosted 7/15/2014 3:23:29 PM
harcoreblazer posted...

You don't level up in Deus Ex or Vampire bloodlines, I guess they're not RPGs to you.
#36mogexpress1Posted 7/15/2014 5:19:23 PM
Ningishzida posted...
Nice trolling attempt, but like most trolling attempts, it's more style over substance.

actually I was just going for style

But yeah luck is a way bigger factor on this side of the pond and there is no denying that. It makes the few hard SRPGs over there more tactical than anything over here.
---
Daddy's home
Shut up gabe and take my money
#37xpiritflarePosted 7/15/2014 5:23:47 PM
harcoreblazer posted...

We did, 10-15 years ago, back then it was just console rpg and computer rpg.
I don't recall the terms (J and W) being said nearly this much during the 6th gen of consoles. It was the 7th gen that popularized the terms.
---
Yeah. "I'm going to turn back time an hour. It'll take about an hour." - AnnaBananaa
#38ThePonyColliePosted 7/15/2014 5:33:27 PM
As long as you have Attack, Defense, Damage, Magic, etc in your game, it's an RPG.
---
No Steam, no buy.
#39xanthan1Posted 7/15/2014 6:10:47 PM(edited)
Ningishzida posted...
harcoreblazer posted...

You don't level up in Deus Ex or Vampire bloodlines, I guess they're not RPGs to you.

You level up your various stats and disciplines in Bloodlines. Did you somehow completely miss that? Just because it isn't every stat going up once doesn't mean it isn't leveling up.

But please, do go on about how earning exp and using it to improve your character by increasing it's stats or getting better abilities isn't leveling up.

harcoreblazer posted...

Because grouping Final Fantasy and Baldurs Gate together with no distinction is kind of stupid. They're both RPGs, for a given and kind of broad definition of RPG, but they play nothing alike. I mean would you group Dragon Age and Mass Effect in the same genre as Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy with no distinction between them? Or what about any of those and Dungeons of Dredmor?
#40NingishzidaPosted 7/15/2014 6:42:24 PM
xanthan1 posted...
You level up your various stats and disciplines in Bloodlines. Did you somehow completely miss that? Just because it isn't every stat going up once doesn't mean it isn't leveling up.

But please, do go on about how earning exp and using it to improve your character by increasing it's stats or getting better abilities isn't leveling up.

There are no levels in Deus Ex or Bloodlines, therefore it isn't leveling up.

And if you had any degree of reading comprehension, and a memory more than one post long, you would have also seen that hardcoreblazer differentiated between "Leveling up your character" and "Developing skills and stats". But you don't in both cases, so that's why your unsuccessful attempt at correcting me comes off as doubly foolish. Don't try so hard next time, you might burst a blood vessel. Instead, just agree with me, because I've proved over and over again my RPG erudition and eloquence far exceeds your paltry dabblings and your posts are nothing but twaddle in the face of mine.