This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What does smooth 120fps look like?

#11Pepys MonsterPosted 7/15/2014 12:10:41 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Smooth as butter on a baby's butt?

Where's Chris Hanson?
---
i7-4790K | EVGA GTX 780 3GB | 16GB G.Skill DDR3-1866 | 1TB Crucial M550 SSD | 4TB WD Black HDD | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Dark Rock Pro 3 | Antec EA-650 Platinum
#12Sir_Meowcat_EsqPosted 7/15/2014 2:22:34 PM
Like a camcorder video set on 1.2x play speed. To each their own, but I hate it and anything beyond 60 for the most part (always a leg up in competitive FPS's though)

-The only supporter of the mid-40's fps revolution.
#13wizardmonPosted 7/15/2014 2:23:49 PM
http://youtu.be/PgHx3eMBXjI

Here.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#14CatToyPosted 7/15/2014 2:39:52 PM(edited)
wizardmon posted...
http://youtu.be/PgHx3eMBXjI

Here.

I was clicking the link thinking "lol it's a youtube video it won't show anything" but it actually makes it pretty obvious. And like him I have a 60hz monitor as my second monitor and the difference is night and day, just moving my cursor onto the 60hz it looks awful by comparison.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#15Lemur_HPosted 7/15/2014 2:34:48 PM
Too bad a video won't show you what a 120Hz feels like. :(
#16wizardmonPosted 7/15/2014 2:37:29 PM
Sorta, it at the very least can show you the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz. But it won't actually show you that 120Hz.
---
#17KillerTrufflePosted 7/15/2014 2:39:22 PM
Seems that video kind of adds bias by having CRAPLOADS of screen tearing in the 60Hz sample...

Bottom line is there's really no way to let someone experience what 120Hz is like if they're using a 60Hz screen.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#18wizardmonPosted 7/15/2014 2:44:38 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Seems that video kind of adds bias by having CRAPLOADS of screen tearing in the 60Hz sample...

Bottom line is there's really no way to let someone experience what 120Hz is like if they're using a 60Hz screen.

Both screens are outputting at the same settings, off of the same PC/GPU at the same time using the duplicate screen output setting which as we all know doesn't induce any lag or screen tearing into the fold.

V-sync is off on both displays since those settings are what Phillip plays the game at normally. The GPU is pushing the same signal to both displays, but one is able to display more of the frames from that signal than the other. The one that updates slower often updates when the GPU is in the middle of changing between two or more frames at a time.

Basically, what I'm saying and what a lot of other people have noticed, is that screens with a higher refresh rate tear less than screens with a lower refresh rate. Have you ever recorded your low refresh rate screen (assuming you had one) while playing a game at 300~FPS? There's usually a ton of tearing that you probably just aren't able to notice while it's in motion till you slow it down.
---
#19Jprime666Posted 7/15/2014 2:47:26 PM
I have to ask. I have an iphone and it can record in 120fps, and I've noticed that the screen/viewfinder looks a lot smoother in 120 mode when I move it around compared to normal video mode.

Is this what it's like for gaming too?
---
Fragrance of Dark Coffee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMnrl0tmd3k
#20ShubPosted 7/15/2014 3:10:01 PM
I don't think it's a describable thing, you have to see it, but if you've ever seen one of those modern TVs they always have in stores where the images look like they're moving a lot more smoothly than you're used to, it's kind of similar.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.