This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

First time builder - stuck and need help

#1rdking96Posted 7/15/2014 5:39:30 PM(edited)
Okay - so sorry if this is a really amateur question - currently in the middle of building my first PC.

So far:

-I have the CPU installed
-Have the aftermarket cooler installed
-the PSU installed
-and the MOBO is screwed in place on the standoffs in the case

I'm currently plugging in the fans, and can't seem to find a spot on the MOBO for my front case fan. There is a 4 pin slot on the mobo for a fan but the fan is a 3 pin. My question is, is the 4 pin slot a hybrid of sorts that can be used for a 3 pin fan plug?

Sorry if that's a dumb ass question...

EDIT: Looks like I found the answer on Tom's Hardware. I tried putting the 3 pin into the 4 pin slot, but it didn't go right away. Because I'm new to this and scared of breaking stuff I didn't want to force it though. Just confirming, sounds like a 4 pin slot CAN take a 3 pin fan plug?
---
"There won't be any money...but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness...So I got that goin' for me - which is nice."
#2andy12handyPosted 7/15/2014 5:39:53 PM
Yes, you can plug a 3 pin fan into a 4 pin connector, but unless it's a fan controller, you can't control it (spins at full at all times).
#3MC RaZaRPosted 7/15/2014 6:05:47 PM
Yeah, you can still plug the fan into the motherboard and get it working.
---
Oh, I don't want to walk that far. Anything that takes more than 12 steps isn't worth doing! Eh? 12? Get it? Steps! Hehehe.- Homer J. Simpson
#4rdking96(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2014 6:20:32 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5phantasyPosted 7/15/2014 6:23:29 PM
if you look around the the fan housing you will see arrows. the arrows points to how the air flow is.
---
[This message was FORCEFULLY deleted by a moderator or administrator]
#6rdking96(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2014 7:09:48 PM(edited)
phantasy posted...
if you look around the the fan housing you will see arrows. the arrows points to how the air flow is.

Yeah - the CPU fan had arrows.

The cooling fans do not though. I got 3 NZXT 140mm Airflow Fans.

So this video says that they'd typically exhaust away from the motor, but based on the way the cases preset fans are built, I'm thinking this is inaccurate...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc9c8LFY1bg

EDIT: On second thought, using common sense I'm assuming the video's right but oddly enough the case has pulling in air from the back and blowing it out the front which I don't think I want based on the way I set up the cpu cooler...

Thoughts? I can provide pictures if need be!

Thank you to everyone who has helped me so far in making this a less daunting task!
---
"There won't be any money...but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness...So I got that goin' for me - which is nice."
#7SM1LER7Posted 7/15/2014 7:01:42 PM
Like you said fans usually exhaust towards the side with the motor supports. Also the trailing edge of the blade points towards the exhaust (look at the blade and imagine how the blade would turn the flow).
---
i5 3570K @ 4.5/ P8Z77-V/ GTX 780 Classified @ 1176/ 8GB Vengeance LP/ AX750/ NH-D14/ 250GB EVO/ Carbide 500R| 3DS XL
#8rdking96(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2014 7:17:06 PM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9kS32ALZy_famZJYmVqeTNqNFctcnI5RXoxTnRzd1VFcDRv/edit?usp=sharing

^That's the back fan on the case. You can also see the CPU cooler I put in which is blowing towards the back, as well as the top fans which I presume our blowing out the top of the case.

I guess I could just power up the thing and see which way they're blowing, but that would require me to figure out the freaking wires on this thing and that's still 2 or 3 steps away! :P
---
#9rdking96(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2014 3:31:10 AM
Bump
---
#10PhilOnDezPosted 7/16/2014 5:34:50 AM
The fan on the backside is mounted as exhaust. That's pretty typical, looks fine to me. Harder to tell on the cooler but it looks like it's facing the right way (blowing through the rad and at your exhaust).
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez