This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

First time builder - stuck and need help

#11rdking96(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2014 5:38:50 AM
PhilOnDez posted...
The fan on the backside is mounted as exhaust. That's pretty typical, looks fine to me. Harder to tell on the cooler but it looks like it's facing the right way (blowing through the rad and at your exhaust).

Probably tough to tell from that picture, I assume that means that I installed the fans up top backwards?
---
"There won't be any money...but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness...So I got that goin' for me - which is nice."
#12PhilOnDezPosted 7/16/2014 7:16:21 AM
They're positioned as intake. Most people use the top for exhaust as well since hot air rises.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#13BuyersRemorse55Posted 7/16/2014 7:22:29 AM
You want the fans in the front pulling cool air in, the back fan and top fans if you got them are exhaust. Typically fans on the side panel are intake also. Just depends on your set up.
#14fallenswordsPosted 7/16/2014 7:40:41 AM
my case came with a fan controller so i only had to plug in the controller to the mobo, all the others connected to the controller.
---
A Mod/Admin replied on 8/28/2011 10:09:48 AM: http://bit.ly/jJ2ZNS
Katawa Shoujo changed my life. http://katawa-shoujo.com/
#15BeerOnTapPosted 7/16/2014 7:53:14 AM
andy12handy posted...
Yes, you can plug a 3 pin fan into a 4 pin connector, but unless it's a fan controller, you can't control it (spins at full at all times).

I may be wrong but I'm fairly sure that's not correct. With only 3 pins it will not allow PWM control. It will, however, allow for the speed to vary. It won't have to simply spin at full speed all the time. ???
#16rdking96(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2014 8:24:47 AM
fallenswords posted...
my case came with a fan controller so i only had to plug in the controller to the mobo, all the others connected to the controller.

Ya - I just noticed teh fan controller late last night before going to bed.

I'm still really new to this, but I'll investigate that when I get home from work and probably go that road. Looks like they all plug into the fan controller and then there's one 4 pin plug that plugs into the motherboard somewhere?
---
"There won't be any money...but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness...So I got that goin' for me - which is nice."
#17andy12handyPosted 7/16/2014 8:37:58 AM
BeerOnTap posted...
andy12handy posted...
Yes, you can plug a 3 pin fan into a 4 pin connector, but unless it's a fan controller, you can't control it (spins at full at all times).

I may be wrong but I'm fairly sure that's not correct. With only 3 pins it will not allow PWM control. It will, however, allow for the speed to vary. It won't have to simply spin at full speed all the time. ???

That is if you change the voltage (say volt something from 12v to 7v or 5v), but it won't vary based on temp.