This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How long do laptops usually last? Non-gaming, casual use.

#1TehPwnzererPosted 7/16/2014 1:52:42 AM
Like Netflix, browsing, email, youtube, trailers, TMNGO, ebooks ect. I can't imagine there would be a lifespan on it, but I hear a lot of people saying 2 to 3 years average. What exactly about those activities "kill" the laptop? Would lite end laptop like the Asus T100 or chromebooks last longer?
#2LaggingRedPosted 7/16/2014 2:02:25 AM
I still have my crap toshiba satellite from 6 years ago... Still works well, but this thing is a heavy b****. Just take care of your laptop as you would your baby(future baby). Also, take the proper precautions such as using an antivirus and malwarebytes. I usually reformat my laptop a couple of times a year when it gets too slow. Also, it would be advisable to get a a laptop with an ssd because hdd's get become slow if you don't reformat often.
#3PantiemanPosted 7/16/2014 4:13:10 AM
I got a laptop that is release around 2006 or 2007 that's still running
so yeah just take care of your laptop and it can last along time
---
you kill me, i die
#4nitedawgPosted 7/16/2014 4:14:20 AM
My GF's laptop is about 8 years old if I remember correctly... Take care of it and you will be able to keep it for a long time.
#5MwulfPosted 7/16/2014 4:17:52 AM
nitedawg posted...
My GF's laptop is about 8 years old if I remember correctly... Take care of it and you will be able to keep it for a long time.

This.

Batteries will fail first. Then HDDs. (In my experience). Both of which are easy to replace.

The only big component that you can't really replace is the screen, and as long as you don't do something stupid like stab it with a knife, those screens can last FOREVER. That's why we ship all of our broken screens to China so not-really-better-than-off-than-slaves can "mine" the the components for the disparate rare metals inside.
---
"...Blame this on the misfortune of your birth."
-Char Aznable
#6Chaos_MissilePosted 7/16/2014 4:24:39 AM
I got my laptop back in late 2009, still very useable. Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Ram

However, it can struggle abit as the internet browsers get a bit more...memory-hogs and more websites switch to that annoying flash format.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#7iXCeeDPosted 7/16/2014 4:26:57 AM
As long as it you dont drop it, spill liquid on it, having the battery on it while it is plugged (when planning to charge dont use it) then you can keep it for 10 years tops. I still have my Acer aspire 4715Z and were on our 7th year now
---
"Your Right Hand comes off?" - Leon S. Kennedy
#8drinkPosted 7/16/2014 4:27:09 AM
I have this and it still works.
http://www.cnet.com/products/compaq-armada-e500-15-piii-win98-se-128-mb-ram-20-gb-hdd-series/specs/

HDD has been changed, battery is shot.
---
You didn't try google, you made that up...
Twist those dirty bags - Shake
#9tigerslashIIPosted 7/16/2014 4:39:57 AM
I have a Macbook Pro from 2008. If I clean it with alcohol and a cotton ball the thing looks like it's fresh out of the box. The HDD kicked after 4 years so I swapped it out no trouble, and now the battery only lasts like an hour and a half so that's next on the list.

A good lappy will last a long time.
---
Get a loada this guy here.
#10HarvestMonkey8Posted 7/16/2014 4:40:24 AM
Mwulf posted...
nitedawg posted...

This.

Batteries will fail first. Then HDDs. (In my experience). Both of which are easy to replace.

The only big component that you can't really replace is the screen, and as long as you don't do something stupid like stab it with a knife, those screens can last FOREVER. That's why we ship all of our broken screens to China so not-really-better-than-off-than-slaves can "mine" the the components for the disparate rare metals inside.

Or use windex :)
---
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/wbhDp0pbk44A71iNPDft2KQ