This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How long do laptops usually last? Non-gaming, casual use.

#11samurai1900Posted 7/16/2014 3:41:55 AM
HarvestMonkey8 posted...
Mwulf posted...
nitedawg posted...
My GF's laptop is about 8 years old if I remember correctly... Take care of it and you will be able to keep it for a long time.

This.

Batteries will fail first. Then HDDs. (In my experience). Both of which are easy to replace.

The only big component that you can't really replace is the screen, and as long as you don't do something stupid like stab it with a knife, those screens can last FOREVER. That's why we ship all of our broken screens to China so not-really-better-than-off-than-slaves can "mine" the the components for the disparate rare metals inside.

Or use windex :)

Good times~
---
For Shuppet fans and lovers - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ShuppetForLife
For Meloetta fans and lovers - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/MeloettaForLife
#12DragnfyrPosted 7/16/2014 4:56:13 AM
If you use your battery regularly then it will probably need to be replaced after 2-4 years.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs
#13lost_withinPosted 7/16/2014 6:27:25 AM
My wife had hers for about 8 years, and it was just a cheap Toshiba she picked up from wal-mart at a "back to school sale" for about $230, she was planning on keeps it for a year or 2, it started with Windows Vista, and made it all the way to Windows 8, before it started overheating every 5 to 10 mins, so she got something different.

So I think it depends on the user, and how it is treated...
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison
#14DC07301981Posted 7/16/2014 6:57:01 AM
I have a Samsung 3 Series from 2012 and it's still running strong. I've owned about 8 laptops and only had one break because I dropped it when I was going down the stairs to my room. When I tried to turn it on it was dead.

For general computing tasks, a laptop can run for years. I can't estimate expected life expectancy since I've never had one die on me but if you take care of it, I'm sure it can last a long time. I play games on mine once in a while and haven't had a problem with it. The games I play are old and light on specs, so my computer runs them good enough to have a good gaming experience. My mom uses a Macbook from around 2008 and it still runs without hitches.

Mine is usually plugged in with the battery removed. I try to wipe it down at least once a week with a lint free cloth and clean the screen with those wipes that you use to clean eyeglasses with.

With desktops, I've had a few that lasted 10 years. I'm sure they'd still be running to this day if I still had them. I prefer desktops to laptops but because of travel purposes I usually use a laptop about 80% of the time. I tend to replace laptops about every 3-4 years.

Just take care of it and you should be fine.
#15GM_Posted 7/16/2014 6:57:28 AM
It depends on how they're used I guess. I have a Netbook from 2008 that is still going.
---
CooperRC: "The 360 and PS3 are just fighting in the special olympics, the PC version is king."
#16gunner967Posted 7/16/2014 7:00:00 AM
It's usually only the battery and hard drive that fail, barring any extreme circumstances (getting really hot, throwing it at a wall, etc.)- and on most laptops those are the easiest parts to change.
---
XBL A Killing Pie~PSN A_Killing_Pie~Steam Scooby Doo
"I'm going to put my quantum harmonizer in your photonic resonation chamber!"
#17Spidey555Posted 7/16/2014 7:00:22 AM
Like it was said, your battery will go first but that is easily replaced and generally around $120-130 or so.
---
PS4: Spidey555
Steam: Spidey555
#18Puckswack12Posted 7/16/2014 7:02:22 AM
I have a laptop from 2003.gave it to my girlfriend and she uses it everyday. The battery is shot though.
---
Yup
#19dunkisPosted 7/16/2014 7:13:14 AM
As others have said, they can last a good while, just that the battery usually fails first. I'd say a good rule of thumb is to just jump between operating systems. Wait like a year or two after a new OS is released and let the bugs get fixed. Main support for your OS will also probably be dropping around that time.

What "kills" them? Basically, those cheap laptops aren't cheap out of generosity. They use cheaper components, either in power, build quality, or both. They generally have a warranty only of a year. At the least, they won't be that fast and will suffer from modern programs wanting more resources to run effectively. At the worst, components will start failing even from casual use after years and years of doing so.
---
NNID: TheDunc | Steam: Sir Soyeldimzelf