This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Let's talk about saving in video games

#11SinisterSlayPosted 7/16/2014 9:57:14 AM
I usually walk around pressing F5 to save.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#12stmstrPosted 7/16/2014 10:05:37 AM
Sounds like a really juvenile take on it TC >.>

They're just video games. People make mistakes. It's okay.
#13HighOnPhazonPosted 7/16/2014 10:06:32 AM
DiviDude posted...
Forever Shadowed is quickly climbing the ranks of worst PCH posters.

So um, congrats.

Along with
CheeseIsSoFat
---
PC Gaming - The Only Way
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#14SpazH3dPosted 7/16/2014 11:00:22 AM
I think the people that say things like "Quick saves are for noobs and makes the game too easy. You can just replay till you can faceroll the enemies!" are idiots.

Hey guess what, I play games to have fun. I don't want to replay something 30 times (sometimes with a 2 min unskippable cut-scene). I save so I don't have to waste my time getting to the same point in my game. The RPGs of old were hard as balls, and had quick saves. All the great games had quick saves.

And! I need to be able to explore to my hearts content. Checkpoints usually means they block off a level so I can't return. Example: 2 paths. I take the one on the left. Whoops that was the main path and it's blocked off behind me. Now I can't get the loot on the right path.

Basically, you're a fatty mcfat with terrible opinions, if you think checkpoints > quick saves.
---
- My vision is augmented
#15Chaos_MissilePosted 7/16/2014 11:19:16 AM
Forever Shadowed posted...
Thanks to all our D:OS talk, I was reminded of the STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard of related to gamers.

And that is ... people who don't frequently save. OR THE WORST KIND OF SIN; people who rely only on auto saves.

How the hell do these people exist? They all must be 12 years old or else they would have learned their lesson by now. I learned this when I was playing FFX and acidentally wiped my friends 80 hour save game.

Worst part is you get these less-than-intelligent people complaining!!! "Waaaah wahhh I played for two hours and the game crashed and OMG I lost all my progess :("

Good! you deserve that for being so obtuse you didn't even save once during that time.

I'm guessing you're against checkpoints as well, since they're kinda pseudo-autosaving your progress to a certain extent.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#16AlavardPosted 7/16/2014 12:11:41 PM
Forever Shadowed posted...
Thanks to all our D:OS talk, I was reminded of the STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard of related to gamers.

And that is ... people who don't frequently save. OR THE WORST KIND OF SIN; people who rely only on auto saves.

How the hell do these people exist? They all must be 12 years old or else they would have learned their lesson by now. I learned this when I was playing FFX and acidentally wiped my friends 80 hour save game.

Worst part is you get these less-than-intelligent people complaining!!! "Waaaah wahhh I played for two hours and the game crashed and OMG I lost all my progess :("

Good! you deserve that for being so obtuse you didn't even save once during that time.

How would saving more frequently help your friend's FFX game? FFX didn't even have an autosave. The only thing that would have saved it would be having multiple copies of the same save, which you didn't even address.
---
Too much idiot, not enough savant.
#17shdwdrgnixPosted 7/16/2014 12:20:25 PM
SpazH3d posted...
And! I need to be able to explore to my hearts content. Checkpoints usually means they block off a level so I can't return. Example: 2 paths. I take the one on the left. Whoops that was the main path and it's blocked off behind me. Now I can't get the loot on the right path.

and by using quick saves, you just ruined any replayability the game had by exploring everything in one go instead of doing another playthrough and seeing the other paths
#18YoungAdultLinkPosted 7/16/2014 12:28:12 PM
But his example was like in Mass Effect, where you always try to take the 'wrong' path so you can walk down a nearly-empty hallway and read a PDA or something at the end, not a whole different level path. Stuff like that bugs me. Actually happened to me on the derelict reaper when I was replaying the game last week.

Also, I generally find autosave to be good enough unless I know something big might be about to happen, in which case I'll save. I usually stick by my decisions, though. I think the worst thing I've had happen recently because of this is that I was replaying Kotor 2 recently and lost 10 or 15 minutes of progress to a crash at one point along the way.

Some games I just tap F5 every so often, though. Like Skyrim or Fallout, mostly. Those games train you to expect crashes, so I save before pretty much every map transition.
---
One day, when I am too old for adventuring, I will settle down and open up a little armor shop called, "Victorious Secret."
#19Sub TankPosted 7/16/2014 12:41:28 PM(edited)
I just save whenever I remember to.

The only genre I save obsessively in is JRPGs, because you can turn one corner and suddenly you're at a point of no return with low mana and no healing items, your best character up and left you without removing their gear, and someone stole all your materia. If I'm emulating it, I'll save state after every significant action.
---
"...on a ps3 a realalistic looking megaman with a huge universe to explore rag dog physics." - Djmidnight1
#20SpazH3dPosted 7/16/2014 12:40:24 PM
shdwdrgnix posted...
SpazH3d posted...

and by using quick saves, you just ruined any replayability the game had by exploring everything in one go instead of doing another playthrough and seeing the other paths

Nopes! It's not those kinds of paths. I mean exploring a room that has multiple areas. Oh nevermind, you only posted to be annoying.
---
- My vision is augmented