This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for a CHEAP LAPTOP

#1iemerg_Posted 7/16/2014 9:02:03 AM(edited)
So my mom needs a new laptop. Shes HATES windows 8.
Here's what she needs:

Dual Core Processor
4GB DDR3
DVD DRIVE
Windows 7 Compatible (doesnt need windows 7 on it but it needs to have driver support for 7.)
15" Screen
Webcam
No more than $350 Shipped.

I checked newegg but apparently HP doesn't support 7 anymore so thats outta the question. I found some dells but apparently dell isnt good anymore? and last but not least Asus but apparently ASUS laptops are bad?

So can you guys flash some insight. I should be able to find all of that for $350 and I just want to be able to install 7. IDC if it comes with 8 because we have a Windows 7 disc etc. But no point buying a laptop with no Driver support, then again won't windows 7 automatically find all the drivers or no? Windows 8 drivers wouldnt work on 7? I know vista drivers worked on 7.

Basically I just need a Windows 7 compatable computer with decent browsing speed a webcam and a DVD drive. If that's even possible.
---
"Only real men can cook bacon shirtless" me
#2Hi CPosted 7/16/2014 9:05:52 AM
If you're not going to spend at least $500 just get her a tablet.
#3ivanderlandPosted 7/17/2014 7:34:51 AM
If you're just looking for a cheap internet machine, there's no reason you couldn't look at a cheap Asus or even Acer laptop. Sure, build quality has suffered compared to higher end builds, but cheap is cheap for a reason.
I reccomend looking at a low tier Lenovo, they tend to make good quality travel friendly laptops.
#4iemerg_(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2014 5:45:10 PM
Tried the netbooks, too slow no drive etc.
Tried tablets she wants something bigger/better with no touch or windows 8.

I don't care the brand per say but I can't find anything that meets my criteria.
---
#5iemerg_(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2014 5:47:54 PM
How would this be?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Black-15.6-Inspiron-15-Laptop-PC-with-Intel-Core-i3-4030U-Processor-4GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-8.1/36976916

i3
4gb memory
1tb hdd
windows 7 drivers
15.6" screen
dvd tray

$400 I'll just chip in the rest.How is the i3 in comparison to the pentium and celerons now? worth the extra? is dell decent>?
---
#6iemerg_(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2014 5:49:12 PM
Also I see all these laptops with touchpads that don't have buttons how do these work? are they better?
---
#7ChickenAndJuicePosted 7/21/2014 6:37:37 PM
Nope
#8PantiemanPosted 7/21/2014 6:50:44 PM
the touchpad have button its build right in the pad
---
you kill me, i die
#9mikewu1Posted 7/21/2014 7:30:43 PM
mainstream support for windows 7 will end soon so I doubt any new computers will have 7 on them. Unless you are in the clearance section of websites. Dell still has a few Windows 7 laptops i believe but again they are in the clearance section.