This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Apparently, games being 60 fps over 30 isn't factually better, it's an opinion

#21JinchusePosted 7/16/2014 8:34:36 AM
monkmith posted...
http://web.cs.wpi.edu/~claypool/papers/fr/fulltext.pdf

science proves you wrong tc.

You mean it proves you wrong?

Exact quotes from paper

In fact, there are performance benefits for user play up through
60 fps, where a frame rate of 60 fps provides a seven fold
increase in shooting performance over a frame rate of 3 fps.

For FPS games, frame rate has a major
impact on user performance, suggesting frame rates should
be preserved even if it means sacrificing display resolution.
#22andy12handyPosted 7/16/2014 8:36:25 AM
ThePaleRiderp posted...
GM_ posted...
You know what's funny about the people that say 30 FPS is better than 60 FPS? They all say the exact same asinine things.

-Cinematic experience
-60 FPS looks fake
-60 FPS only benefits Fighting/Racing/Online FPS games
-60 FPS makes games look worse visually
-30 FPS makes makes games look graphically better
-I can't see the difference at all
-Back in my day people didn't care about graphics
-60 FPS doesn't matter because gameplay matters more
-This random Developer said that 30 FPS is better so I believe them and nothing else

I just summarized every single person on the internet that says 30 FPS is better.

To be fair that part is mostly true. Take a JRPG like Bravely Default, I really don't see how 60 FPS would make or break a game like that.

Oh there are benefits, it'll make any movement much more smoother in 60fps over 30fps, say if you're walking around or attack or any special moves. It definitely benefits when it comes to visuals.
#23jake-sfPosted 7/16/2014 8:37:27 AM
I don't see the room to disagree.

If the image looks smooth to you, does it matter?

I've seen the kind of ridiculously stupid arrogance people have put over the concept of FPS, how every little additional frame is as important as Jesus, and etc.

I don't see any reason to prefer a lower framerate myself, but I see the beauty of that fake PC Master Race that exists today in this topic.

Congratulation, you complete piece of crap, for showing your superiority. You probably learned the right way to be superior from the United States, right?

I just have no idea why we have to be so pathetic. Oh I'm sure there are people needlessly defensive about their 30 FPS to defend their consoles or some ****, but come on. You're doing the exact same thing, in the exact same, pathetic, sad way.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#24KidInTheHallPosted 7/16/2014 8:37:32 AM
wheepitup posted...
KidInTheHall posted...
^ Yes and it was fascinating, the science concluded that yo mama has a fat ass.

You can take in 15 pages in 3 minutes? Right.

I highly doubt it has anything to do with 60 fps being inferior. Probably has to do with people being stupid. Which I won't argue with.

lol Let's not kid ourselves son, everyone knows it doesn't take 15 pages of scientific study to conclude yo mama has a big fat ass....I mean come on, don't bulls*** a bulls***ter alright?
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 780 Ti Dual Classified | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Samsung 830 128GB | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
#25SinisterSlayPosted 7/16/2014 8:37:35 AM
Here is something all those studies ignore.
Higher framerates don't help console players because the TV is adding huge input lag anyways.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#26DarkZV2BetaPosted 7/16/2014 8:52:43 AM
GM_ posted...
You know what's funny about the people that say 30 FPS is better than 60 FPS? They all say the exact same asinine things.

-Cinematic experience
-60 FPS looks fake
-This random Developer said that 30 FPS is better so I believe them and nothing else

I just summarized every single person on the internet that says 30 FPS is better.

Don't forget that 60fps is "unrealistically smooth".
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#27Dirk85UKPosted 7/16/2014 8:56:24 AM
GM_ posted...

-Cinematic experience
-60 FPS looks fake

You forgot the most popular one - "The human eye can't see above 30 FPS!" lol
---
GTX 780ti SC / i7 4770k / 16gb RAM / Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H / 840 Pro Basic / Seasonic X-850 / Dell U2711
#28F-RottPosted 7/16/2014 9:48:42 AM(edited)
That would be silly if that's what I was arguing. Since it wasn't, there's not much else to say here.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/69656274
---
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/FRott.png
http://steamcard.com/do/sigcard-original/f-rott.png http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/F%20Rott%2001.jpg
#29ThePaleRiderpPosted 7/16/2014 10:43:47 AM
andy12handy posted...
ThePaleRiderp posted...
GM_ posted...

-Cinematic experience
-60 FPS looks fake

To be fair that part is mostly true. Take a JRPG like Bravely Default, I really don't see how 60 FPS would make or break a game like that.

Oh there are benefits, it'll make any movement much more smoother in 60fps over 30fps, say if you're walking around or attack or any special moves. It definitely benefits when it comes to visuals.

Really? I mean when it came to that genre that wasn't something I focused on because the games generally aren't very demanding in the system.
---
Valar morghulis
#30GunmaN1905Posted 7/16/2014 10:51:08 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Here is something all those studies ignore.
Higher framerates don't help console players because the TV is adding huge input lag anyways.

Agree.
And when they make a 30fps game for console, they add things like motion blur and some other crap I'm not that interested in to make it run smoothly. Since those games are meant to be 30fps, gameplay won't feel bad.
But on PC, games are designed for 60fps, and of course you'll see a slideshow on 30fps when the game isn't optimized for that framerate.
30fps is absolutely out of question for any even semi-competitive game, at least for me.