This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ethernet Cable: Is Cat 6 the best?

#11SgtInfinityPosted 7/16/2014 6:11:40 PM
you'd have to completely wire everything to cat 6. For a new/upgrade installation, go with cat 6 because in a few years everything will start using that.

else, cat 5e.
#12Orestes417Posted 7/16/2014 6:12:00 PM
SilentHawk29 posted...
Orestes417 posted...
ISPs have no bearing on LAN speeds.

TC wants it for internet.

Which is why he used the word internet in the post? For internet speed its irrelevant atm, but there's still little sense cheaping out and gimping your lan and possibly wan speeds in the future instead of doing it right the first time.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#13SilentHawk29Posted 7/16/2014 6:18:21 PM
He made another topic similar to this one asking for a 10 foot cable. I don't think he's wiring anything.
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg
#14Orestes417Posted 7/16/2014 6:24:28 PM
If that 's the case and we aren't talking house wiring then use whatever. Cat5e, cat6, hell cat7 if you're feeling exotic. Won't much matter for a modem to router connection.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#15Saga3Posted 7/16/2014 6:55:36 PM
Yeah, maximum speed and throughput, might as well get CAT6 to futureproof everything.
#16ShubPosted 7/16/2014 8:21:56 PM
When you're wiring an entire office building, the small premium for Cat 6 quickly adds up, but for home use... You might as well get Cat 6 every single time just because. But as has been said, it won't make much of a difference. Cat 6 is not the best though, there is a Cat 7 and even Cat 8, but it serves no purpose outside of data centers.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#17Edavy89Posted 7/16/2014 8:40:33 PM
Shub posted...
When you're wiring an entire office building, the small premium for Cat 6 quickly adds up, but for home use... You might as well get Cat 6 every single time just because. But as has been said, it won't make much of a difference. Cat 6 is not the best though, there is a Cat 7 and even Cat 8, but it serves no purpose outside of data centers.

Cat 7 doesn't exist, it's Class F cable that is miss-named. TIA doesn't recognize it, and it has compatibility issues with a lot of hardware.
---
www.SWGEMU.com....SUPPORT IT!
#18Orestes417Posted 7/16/2014 8:44:55 PM(edited)
I wasn't aware the TIA needed to recognize something for it to exist. I guess we don't exist either. Tell any network tech Cat7 and they know what you're talking about. Look in most catalogs for Cat7 and it'll be listed as such.
---
#19Edavy89Posted 7/16/2014 8:48:21 PM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...
I wasn't aware the TIA needed to recognize something for it to exist. I guess we don't exist either.

If I call an orange a Blumperogna does that mean Blumperogna's exist and are no longer oranges?

And as for your edit, network techs know what people are talking about when they use common misconception's because, well, stupidity is common. It doesn't change the fact that cat7 is class F cable.
---
www.SWGEMU.com....SUPPORT IT!
#20Orestes417Posted 7/16/2014 8:55:08 PM(edited)
Nope. But if an entire field of professionals takes to using the term Blumperogna for oranges then guess what? The two become interchangeable. Seriously, go to most any networking supply catalog and search for Cat7 and then Class F. Tell us just how many appropriate hits you come up with using the former vs the latter.
---