This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ethernet Cable: Is Cat 6 the best?

#21SgtInfinityPosted 7/16/2014 9:33:40 PM
There isn't an industry standard specs definition for Cat7 yet, which is why its not recommended to jump to Cat7.

I can go to the store and pickup cat6 cables and I'll know what I'm buying. If I buy "cat7" cables, from two different companies, their specs can be completely different.

It's also not misnamed, it's definitely called a Cat7 or Class F cable, but neither version is considered a recognized standard so you really shouldn't be buying them yet.
#22Edavy89Posted 7/16/2014 10:13:37 PM
SgtInfinity posted...
There isn't an industry standard specs definition for Cat7 yet, which is why its not recommended to jump to Cat7.

I can go to the store and pickup cat6 cables and I'll know what I'm buying. If I buy "cat7" cables, from two different companies, their specs can be completely different.

It's also not misnamed, it's definitely called a Cat7 or Class F cable, but neither version is considered a recognized standard so you really shouldn't be buying them yet.

There never will be an industry standard for Class F cable, as they are going straight to cat8 at this point.
---
www.SWGEMU.com....SUPPORT IT!
#230cu_87Posted 7/16/2014 10:57:30 PM
CAT5 or CAT5e is all you need.
---
"A mine is like a lover. You have to be gentle, so she welcomes you moist and hot." - Sheldon Skaggs, Witcher 2