This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The problem with open world Bethesda games is that they allow difficulty changes

#11Treason686Posted 7/16/2014 2:34:06 PM
Hi C posted...
Orestes417 posted...
No the problem with bethesda games is none of your choices have consequences.

The problem is they got rid of all the good things about TES, kept all the series weaknesses, and changed the franchise from an Ultima style sandbox in Morrowind to a generic console Assassins Theft Creed open world type thing with Oblivion and Skyrim.

No examples. Fail.
---
I <3 segfault
#12NingishzidaPosted 7/16/2014 2:34:20 PM
Anyway, singling out Bethesda for difficulty slider inclusion is ridiculous, since most, if not almost all, RPGs include one and let you change the difficulty at anytime, in-game.

You should be hating on Bethesda for things like level scaling, clunky combat and console UIs, instead.
#13KillerTrufflePosted 7/16/2014 2:34:25 PM
Of all the things Bethesda does wrong, why the hell would you zero in on allowing difficulty changes as "the worst?" WTH? I don't even understand why you'd think it's a problem to allow people to play a single-player game the way they want to.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#14Treason686Posted 7/16/2014 2:35:39 PM
unknowninfo775 posted...
Bethesda basically make the RPG equivalent of COD. Sure it looks pretty but its shallow and cheats on you with millions of people.

Because they definitely release ES and Fallout every year. Wait...
---
I <3 segfault
#15unknowninfo775Posted 7/16/2014 2:40:05 PM
Treason686 posted...
unknowninfo775 posted...
Bethesda basically make the RPG equivalent of COD. Sure it looks pretty but its shallow and cheats on you with millions of people.

Because they definitely release ES and Fallout every year. Wait...

Because I said that the similarity they had was yearly releases. Wait....
---
Two milkmen go comedy
-Official Isa of the Kingdom Hearts 3 board-
#16NingishzidaPosted 7/16/2014 2:42:31 PM
Treason686 posted...
And you have programmed what, exactly? Nothing? Ever?

You don't need to be able to code to know their engine is clunky compared to others'.

Bethesda does a pretty awesome job on Elder Scrolls games. They're critically acclaimed, they are the most mod friendly games out there, and they even release their quest development IDE complete with tutorials.

Bethesda's games are critically acclaimed because they do marketing blitzes through on/off-line publications and so journalists are gonna get sacked if they **** on their game, they aren't mod friendly because they need mod managers and tools to fight load order and conflicts, and Skyrim's Creation Kit initially didn't even work with out 3rd party tools, and still isn't as powerful as Oblivion's and Fallout 3's GECK.

Bethesda is the most PC friendly major dev, and they produce very high quality games. Complaining about Bethesda is pure idiocy.

They dev dress-up-dolly games with clunky combat, console limitations, bugs galore, level scaling and haven't put a climbable ladder in Elder Scrolls since 1996's Daggerfall.
#17ChromaticAngelPosted 7/16/2014 2:49:57 PM
Treason686 posted...
Bethesda is the most PC friendly major dev

Bethesda is NOT the most PC friendly dev. While Bethesda does continue to treat PC as their #1 priority (for now), it's clear they're making games for consoles, on the PC, and then porting them to consoles later. You want real PC friendly devs, I can name half dozen other studios at the drop of a hat that make only or predominantly PC exclusive games.

Blizzard, Paradox Interactive, Larian, 1C, Strategy First, Bohemia Interactive, and Firaxis all make top tier PC games and rarely release games on console, if at all. Paradox in particular is a well known console hater.
---
RPG Spotlight: Avernum: Escape from the Pit http://store.steampowered.com/app/208400/
Short Summary: http://pastebin.com/DUiaHrLW
#18NingishzidaPosted 7/16/2014 2:58:41 PM
If Bethesda were the most PC friendly dev, you wouldn't need SkyUI, SKSE, Safety Load and OneTweak.

You wouldn't need Requiem.

Which by the way, even with all of these, the game remains incurably console-casual.

If Bethesda were PC friendly, there wouldn't be a cel transition just to go into a larger town, or just enter a house.

But they're not, so we have Skyrim.
#19reaper of soulsPosted 7/16/2014 3:14:13 PM
Treason686 posted...
And you have programmed what, exactly? Nothing? Ever?

How is this in any way relevant to his comment? You don't have to be a professional chef to know when your food tastes like crap.

The fact that things like SkyBoost exist and produce amazing performance increases should be an obvious indication that Bethesda doesn't optimize their games very well. Then there's the unofficial patches. Have you even seen the size of the patch notes for those? Bethesda should be paying these modders who put so much effort into fixing their games for them.
#20That1GuyyPosted 7/16/2014 3:15:09 PM
Treason686 posted...
And you have programmed what, exactly? Nothing? Ever? Bethesda does a pretty awesome job on Elder Scrolls games. They're critically acclaimed, they are the most mod friendly games out there, and they even release their quest development IDE complete with tutorials.

The STALKER series has an equal reputation for being a buggy mess (but their excuse is they're a tiny developer from Ukraine), and The Elder Scrolls (and Fallout 3) have consistently beaten STALKER out on being the least stable game series I have ever played in my life. Every crash I have ever experienced in any other game combined could probably be added up to a couple dozen at most. Every crash for each individual Bethesda game could be added up to well over a hundred. Bethesda is probably the laziest big budget developer in the history of gaming.

And this one is all my opinion, but being mod friendly doesn't mean anything to me when the core game mechanics are largely unchangeable, and are garbage and unfun.
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.