This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The problem with open world Bethesda games is that they allow difficulty changes

#21That1GuyyPosted 7/16/2014 3:19:02 PM
Ningishzida posted...
haven't put a climbable ladder in Elder Scrolls since 1996's Daggerfall.

My experience playing Counter-Strike says this is a good thing. A first person ladder system that doesn't completely suck and get in the way is like finding the end of a double rainbow.
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.
#22ChromaticAngelPosted 7/16/2014 3:19:59 PM
That1Guyy posted...
Ningishzida posted...

My experience playing Counter-Strike says this is a good thing. A first person ladder system that doesn't completely suck and get in the way is like finding the end of a double rainbow.

I thought the ladder system in Half Life was perfect.
---
RPG Spotlight: Avernum: Escape from the Pit http://store.steampowered.com/app/208400/
Short Summary: http://pastebin.com/DUiaHrLW
#23KillerTrufflePosted 7/16/2014 3:21:56 PM
There's also not a big problem with zooming out to third-person just long enough to climb the ladder - I've seen games do that before, and it works. And the mechanics are already in place in TES games...
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#24akuma634Posted 7/16/2014 3:22:14 PM
Why is that a problem? If the game is getting too hard, you can make it easier. If the game is getting too easy for you then you can make it harder. Would you rather make a serious commitment to the game and start over from the beginning to adjust the difficulty? This is where gamer elitism gets out of hand. Games should be accessible to all skill levels, not an exercise in masochism. Go back to jerking it to Dark Souls videos.
---
I belong to the blank generation - Richard Hell
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634\
#25NingishzidaPosted 7/16/2014 3:23:18 PM
That1Guyy posted...
Ningishzida posted...

Crysis 1, FEAR, Gothic series. And TES is also 3rd person. In fact, I'd wager most people play dress-up-dolly in 3rd person vanity mode.
#26ChromaticAngelPosted 7/16/2014 3:26:01 PM
Ningishzida posted...
That1Guyy posted...
Ningishzida posted...

Crysis 1, FEAR, Gothic series. And TES is also 3rd person. In fact, I'd wager most people play dress-up-dolly in 3rd person vanity mode.

have you tried playing TES in 3rd person? you can't hit s*** and the animations are terrible and it's impossible to aim a bow.
---
RPG Spotlight: Eschalon: Book II http://www.gog.com/game/eschalon_book_ii
Short Summary: http://pastebin.com/eLAb8Hj2
#27NingishzidaPosted 7/16/2014 3:41:42 PM(edited)
ChromaticAngel posted...
have you tried playing TES in 3rd person? you can't hit s*** and the animations are terrible and it's impossible to aim a bow.

I found it easy to melee in 3rd person. These lame-ass games aren't hard, they have massive hitboxes. And of course, not everything can be done in 3rd person. But then, casuals want to see how they dressed up their dolly, so that's why 3rd person is popular.

And I don't know why we're even comparing 1st and 3rd person: ladders have been successfully implemented for BOTH 1st person (Crysis 1, FEAR) and 3rd person (Gothic series).
#28NingishzidaPosted 7/16/2014 3:42:42 PM(edited)
Also, Half-life ladder implementation is primitive and crap, all you do is glide up and over them, there is no feeling of weight and effort. Same in Vampire Bloodlines, which used the crappy Half-life 2 source engine

In Crysis 1 and FEAR, you clamber up the rungs, one by one. You can see your arms working, and look down and to the side and see your feet. Adds weight and dimension to the character you control.

In Gothic ladders are accurately climbed, one rung at a time. Looks great, feels weighty.

Bethesda can't do it cuz they lack the coding and animation talent to make it happen
#29MacrossSpecialPosted 7/16/2014 3:42:05 PM
The problem with thise games is that the combat is awful so the only enjoyment comes from exploration, something that I got my fill of after the first beth game.
---
...Dude, you're a ****ing douche. Get off my god damn internets.
- RX7Infinitilll
#30NingishzidaPosted 7/16/2014 3:45:13 PM
MacrossSpecial posted...
The problem with thise games is that the combat is awful so the only enjoyment comes from exploration, something that I got my fill of after the first beth game.

Except the desire for exploration in post-Morrowind TES is defeated by copy-pasted dungeons, map-marker fast travel and level-scaled enemies and loot.