This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The problem with open world Bethesda games is that they allow difficulty changes

#31ChromaticAngelPosted 7/16/2014 4:46:02 PMmessage detail
Ningishzida posted...
Also, Half-life ladder implementation is primitive and crap, all you do is glide up and over them, there is no feeling of weight and effort.

In Crysis 1 and FEAR, you clamber up the rungs, one by one. You can see your arms working, and look down and to the side and see your feet. Adds weight and dimension to the character you control.

In Gothic ladders are accurately climbed, one rung at a time. Looks great, feels weighty.

Bethesda can't do it cuz they lack the coding and animation talent to make it happen

climbing ladders one rung at a time is just a matter of artificially slowing your character down so that it looks like he climbs the ladder one rung at a time. Besides, climbing ladders is boring as f*** and I'd rather get it over with ASAP. That's why I like Half-Life's ladders. The only game that actually made climbing ladders interesting was Metal Gear Solid 3.

Climbing ladders one rung at a time only becomes important when you can actually take other actions while on the ladder, such as shooting a gun while halfway up the ladder. Probably the most well known example of this is Megaman, but I don't see you singing Megaman's ladder's praises.

And Bethesda could do it if they wanted to, but they're obsessed with pandering to the casual console crowd that anything that mildly inconveniences the player has to be removed. Such as actual consequences for your actions.
---
RPG Spotlight: Avadon 2: The Corruption http://www.gog.com/game/avadon_2_the_corruption
Short Summary: http://pastebin.com/bRprvvKn
#32ThePonyColliePosted 7/16/2014 4:51:00 PMmessage detail
MrMonkhouse posted...
You can change your difficulty at any time. Their games would be much better if they didn't allow that.

This is hardly anything to complain about. Just play the game and forget about the settings.
---
No Steam, no buy.
#33NingishzidaPosted 7/16/2014 4:55:46 PMmessage detail
ChromaticAngel posted...
climbing ladders one rung at a time is just a matter of artificially slowing your character down so that it looks like he climbs the ladder one rung at a time.
Besides, climbing ladders is boring as f*** and I'd rather get it over with ASAP.

Seems you haven't played Crysis 1 or FEAR, you can see your hands gripping the rungs and you can see your arms pulling your body up. In both games climbing ladders is fast, too. It isn't tedious, and it makes your controllable character feel more agile and part of the environment. I feel embarrassed for you that you can't grasp this simple concept, or see the merit in it.

Climbing ladders one rung at a time only becomes important when you can actually take other actions while on the ladder, such as shooting a gun while halfway up the ladder.

Climbing a ladder is a versatile and interesting action in itself, why are you so against versatility of movement? Also, go play Crysis 1 and FEAR, there are tactical uses for ladders in those games.

Also, Jagged Alliance 2 is a mere 2d isometric game with ladders implemented as a tactical consideration.
#34NingishzidaPosted 7/16/2014 5:04:46 PMmessage detail
ChromaticAngel posted...
And Bethesda could do it if they wanted to, but they're obsessed with pandering to the casual console crowd that anything that mildly inconveniences the player has to be removed. Such as actual consequences for your actions.

Bethesda... can't do ****. They can't even get the most basic animations looking good in the last four games (Morrowind, Oblivion, Oblivion With Guns and Skyrim). Their clumsy puppets glide along the ground like on iceskates, they bump into each other and twitch violently, the get stuck on object scenery and run on the spot, and the gestures look unnatural and they overall move around stiffly and the hands don't take into account the effect of gravity. So what, other than blind fanboyism and boring trolling, makes you think they can implement ladder code and anims with any degree of success?
#35GoldninjaPosted 7/16/2014 5:07:51 PMmessage detail
Now, after playing Skyrim for the first time, I can pretty much say some things it does wrong right off the bat. First off is assuming that I want to use a 360 controller with the game. Most games allow use of both and usually start out with the kb/m setup as default. Simply having the 360 controller plugged in made the kb/m useless when I first started. I had to unplug the thing to gain any sort of movement at the start. Couldn't change it in the menu because there is no options menu at the main menu. Wtf?

The item menu is obviously geared toward a controller. SkyUI is a god send because the default ui is worse than Oblivion's. Also, I can't level athletics and acrobatics. Does this mean I have the same slow running speed and garbage jump for the whole game? Blah.

Also, encumbrance sucks in these games. I try to go with it, but after a while, it hinders my enjoyment of the game and I disable it. I don't particularly enjoy going back and forth between area just to drop off my **** because picking up some 0.1 plant ingredient made it impossible to run. Yeah, it's a bit easier in Skyrim because of followers and such that can carry your stuff, but the maximum weight allowance goes up at such a sad rate, that it's actually necessary if you want to actually explore.

Other than that, I'm enjoying it so far.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
#36NingishzidaPosted 7/16/2014 5:12:39 PMmessage detail
Goldninja posted...
Now, after playing Skyrim for the first time, I can pretty much say some things it does wrong right off the bat. First off is assuming that I want to use a 360 controller with the game. Most games allow use of both and usually start out with the kb/m setup as default. Simply having the 360 controller plugged in made the kb/m useless when I first started. I had to unplug the thing to gain any sort of movement at the start. Couldn't change it in the menu because there is no options menu at the main menu. Wtf?

That actually began with Fallout 3 lol.

Also, I can't level athletics and acrobatics. Does this mean I have the same slow running speed and garbage jump for the whole game? Blah.

This was done for the casuals, you have an instant graitification sprint key (Alt) so that you're athletic as hell at level 1, but you can't level your speed or jumping more than that, because that's too fast and crazy for casuals.

I believe High Elves have the fastest base movement rate, the taller the race is the faster it moves.
#37NingishzidaPosted 7/16/2014 5:16:33 PMmessage detail
Carryweight scales with Stamina, you can also get perks to increase it and choose Steed Stone.
#38DV8ingSourcesPosted 7/16/2014 5:44:28 PMmessage detail(edited)
Ningishzida posted...
level scaling

Get rid of this and I might enjoy the exploration a lot more. This one aspect has turned me off bethesda the most and I absolutely hate that it seems to be gaining popularity as a game mechanic. Even games I really enjoy for their lack thereof tend to have leveled loot or random loot tables. Why can't devs design a well paced adventure with many possible ups and downs for the player...? Older titles like gothic and its much improved sequel are how exploration should be. They may be a little linear if you take the easiest way through but you are free to challenge yourself at any time by visiting areas you probably shouldn't. Let me fail once in a while and actually fear a creature if only temporarily.

About the only thing I enjoy in skyrim is just finding new areas to explore while using a major overhaul mod (requiem) that basically removes a lot of the scaling. The story and questing is still mostly a bore though.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#39alsroboshackPosted 7/16/2014 5:27:53 PMmessage detail
IMO, I like when Bethesda publishes games, but not so much when they make games.
---
some people treat life as a game,
some people treat games as life.
#40arleasPosted 7/16/2014 5:28:51 PMmessage detail
Every topic I've ever seen from TC is him whining about the most insignificant things.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png