This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The problem with open world Bethesda games is that they allow difficulty changes

#81NingishzidaPosted 7/17/2014 2:05:11 AM
That1Guyy posted...
To be fair, Bethesda has always been a bad developer, and hardcore RPG fans liking Morrowind is a fluke.

In Daggerfall you could learn languages and talk your way past enemies, you could climb, it had nudity without a mod, the starter dungeon was the equivalent of a Morrowind mega-dungeon and there were some enemies in it that you couldn't even kill with certain chargens, you could buy a ship, craft custom spells and enchantments, become a wereboar, there were six different endings, the game had a 3d rotatable and zoomable map, everything was procedurally generated, nothing was level scaled, chargen was the most complex and nuanced ever, and so on.

That it sucks ass hard in many ways and graphically and control-wise has aged extremely poorly to the point of unplayability, is irrelevant - Daggerfall is as hardcore as TES ever got.
#82MasterTurtlePosted 7/17/2014 2:40:00 AM
Ningishzida's dedication never fails to impress
---
Can I interest you in a...side mission?
#830cu_87Posted 7/17/2014 4:20:38 AM
MasterTurtle posted...
Ningishzida's dedication never fails to impress

He's got a point though.
---
"A mine is like a lover. You have to be gentle, so she welcomes you moist and hot." - Sheldon Skaggs, Witcher 2
#84MarceloSampaioPosted 7/17/2014 4:36:53 AM(edited)
MrMonkhouse posted...
You can change your difficulty at any time. Their games would be much better if they didn't allow that.

You know you can choose NOT to change the difficulty, right? Heck, you can even ignore its existence.

ChromaticAngel posted...
I thought the ladder system in Half Life was perfect.

Except for the fact that you can still see the weapon being held with your both hands, meaning that Gordon is only climbing the ladder with his feet. Looks a LOT weird.
---
If you believe in Marona as your Loli and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature. :3
http://i.imgur.com/GV8UFZR.png
#850cu_87Posted 7/17/2014 4:38:03 AM
MarceloSampaio posted...
Except for the fact that you can still see the weapon being held with your both hands, meaning that Gordon is only climbing the ladder with his feet. Looks a LOT weird.

Don't forget that crouching up the ladder made the climbing half as loud as normal.
This was perfect to sneak upon enemies in TFC and CS..
---
"A mine is like a lover. You have to be gentle, so she welcomes you moist and hot." - Sheldon Skaggs, Witcher 2
#86Killah PriestPosted 7/17/2014 6:00:07 AM(edited)
Games would be terrible if they didn't allow difficulty changes because combat is obnoxious on anything other than easy.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#87Death_BornPosted 7/17/2014 6:57:34 AM(edited)
The combat in Skyrim was laughable anyway, their bigger problem is not allowing difficulty changes but actually making combat that isn't a race to do the most DPS and is based on strategy.

In Skyrim usually the enemies just started draining my health away for no apparent reason and you can basically just quaff potions through the battle while hitting dudes until they die.

In a game like Dark Souls it's clear where every hit comes from and you can block or dodge them if you play it right. Enemies also have weaknesses and strategies to kill them, it's not just how much damage you can do.
#88DevilTriggerSSSPosted 7/17/2014 6:57:27 AM
If Bethesda RPGs are so bad, how come they get so many sales?

#logicbombt
---
One day I will own this board.
#89Death_BornPosted 7/17/2014 6:58:42 AM
DevilTriggerSSS posted...

#logicbombt

Mainly because of RPG players who like the open world, story and role playing aspects. The actual programming and combat is pretty lackluster.
#90DevilTriggerSSSPosted 7/17/2014 7:03:23 AM
Death_Born posted...
DevilTriggerSSS posted...

#logicbombt

Mainly because of RPG players who like the open world, story and role playing aspects. The actual programming and combat is pretty lackluster.

So? Sales = Demand = Quality Product.

It's simple economics. Your subjective opinions don't count in the face of OBJECTIVE facts.
---
One day I will own this board.