This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

After 7 long hours Im happy to say that I've finally made the leap to pc gaming!

#1rdking96Posted 7/16/2014 5:32:10 PM(edited)
Thank you to anyone on here who helped me out during the build process!

Words can't explain that feeling when you're about to hit the power button after so many grueling, sometimes confusing, but always enlightening hours put into the first build.

I was so unsure what was going to happen - but with 1 simple push of the button - everything appears to be working perfectly normal!

Windows is installed and I'm in the process of installing all the drivers now.

For those that are curious here's what I have for my first build:

ASRock Z97 Extreme4 MOBO
Intel i5 4690k processor
ASUS GTX 770 OC 2 GB GPU
Coolermaster Hyper T4 cooler
8 gb crucial ballistix sport ddr3-1886 ram
120GB Samsung EVO SSD
1TB WD HDD
Define R4 Case
3 Extra NZXT Fans (1 front intake, 2 top exhausts)

I'm really please with just about everything except for the cooler. The hinge piece that holds it into place against the supports, is super flimsy. It even fell off once while I was moving around some cables towards the end. It seems fine for now, but I'll be moving in 2 months and I'm a little worried about it falling off during the move. Any recommendations during the move other than lots of bubble wrap and blankets to minimize any kind of shaking or knocking of the PC during the move? Would hate to see that thing drop right onto the GPU, and more importantly somehow get paste on the cpu and break it!
---
"There won't be any money...but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness...So I got that goin' for me - which is nice."
#2codyorrPosted 7/16/2014 5:25:26 PM
Take it off and pack it separately, if it's that flimsy.
#3Xeno_PredatorPosted 7/16/2014 5:28:31 PM
Take the cooler off for the move and re-mount it when you're settled perhaps. That's a great first build.
---
Genius has its limitations. Ignorance has none.
#4rdking96(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2014 5:31:41 PM
Xeno_Predator posted...
Take the cooler off for the move and re-mount it when you're settled perhaps. That's a great first build.

Thanks!

Is there any fear of air bubbles after removing the cooler - should I remove the thermal paste and reapply once I complete the move?
---
"There won't be any money...but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness...So I got that goin' for me - which is nice."
#5rdking96(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2014 6:53:50 PM
bump
---
#6Ringo_88Posted 7/16/2014 6:55:41 PM
Welcome friend, great first build!
---
i5-3570k@4.2/ Asus VG248 24" 144hz/ Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB OC / 8GB CorsairDDR3 1600/ Corsair650wTX/ Windows 8 64/ Hyper 212 Evo/ Samsung 840Pro 256GB SSD
#7DV8ingSourcesPosted 7/16/2014 6:56:09 PM
rdking96 posted...
Xeno_Predator posted...

Thanks!

Is there any fear of air bubbles after removing the cooler - should I remove the thermal paste and reapply once I complete the move?

Yeah I would. Remove then apply another small pea sized (or large swollen grain of rice) dollop and reseat.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#8Molt_CcCoyPosted 7/16/2014 6:56:38 PM
Yes you want to scrape off the thermal paste and then reapply when you're settled in. Any time you remove the cooler you should clean it off then do redo the thermal paste but great build!
---
http://i.imgur.com/JLTktY1.png
#9The_Count_FooPosted 7/16/2014 6:58:44 PM
I'd check your CPU temps just to be sure you got the CPU heatsink mounted properly. That's IMO the hardest part of building when you're new to building.
---
Divided by night...
#10rdking96(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2014 7:10:56 PM
The_Count_Foo posted...
I'd check your CPU temps just to be sure you got the CPU heatsink mounted properly. That's IMO the hardest part of building when you're new to building.

Fan is hovering around 35-39 C...which is pretty good right? Haven't tested it out on anything too load heavy yet though...games are still downloading on Steam.

Thanks to everyone with the encouragement on the first build. I can see how this is addicting, but I dropped a lot of money so I need to be good and hold off on purchasing more stuff for now :P

With that in mind, what's one or two good games to buy that can fully utilize my GPU? I got AC4 and Watch_Dogs free with the card, so preferably an online game...RTS and FPS are my preferred genres.
---