This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any jrpgs with real time battle system and (optionally) open world?

#21ugge85Posted 7/17/2014 1:45:20 AM
The one who coined WRPGS and JRPGS should be shot and hanged and American developers should only be allowed to make rpgs about cowboys.
---
"You leave my moped OUT of this!"
#22Darth_Kamcio(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2014 1:56:34 AM
gungunn101 posted...
Does it have to be PC? If he has a PS2, Kingdom Hearts I and II.

Yeah, he doesn't have any consoles :/
---
I love dragons!
3DS FC: 3625-8721-3670; Dragon safari including Dragonair.
#23OMGWYATTPosted 7/17/2014 2:56:04 AM
Ppl seem to keep naming games that aren't JRPG

JRPG is a genre not where the game was made.

Final Fantasy is a JRPG, dark souls isn't.
---
3DS FC: 1263-6701-6748
XBL/PSN: Riotsquad18
#24TimePharaohPosted 7/17/2014 3:12:04 AM(edited)
OMGWYATT posted...

So you can have a non-Japanese Japanese RPG? And a Western Japanese RPG? And a Japanese Western RPG? How exactly is a game made in Japan not a Japanese RPG? What about if Japanese people in America make a game, what is it?

It's not a genre or where it's made, it's a stupid term by tools.
#25HeyItsZantPosted 7/17/2014 3:30:04 AM
Dragons Dogma
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYkmn347wsY
Honored to have played Xenoblade Chronicles.
#26Death_BornPosted 7/17/2014 3:34:39 AM
Does it have to be an RPG or could it be an action adventure game that plays similarly? Because if you don't care whether it's an RPG then there are stuff like Metal Gear Rising or Killer is Dead where you run around fighting with a sword.

Valdis Story is a side scrolling jRPG style game with an action battle system.

Bastion isn't Japanese but it looks kinda jRPGish and has an action battle system.
#27thisranksPosted 7/17/2014 3:35:53 AM
Darth_Kamcio posted...
My friend asked me to find him a game "that is or looks japanese and plays kinda like Skyrim", explaining that he doesn't want turn based fighting.

Are there any games like that? I know very few jrpgs, so I came here for help. Help will be appreciated!

Your Karma ranking shows you as Ancient ... this has regionally challenged bait topic written all over it because there are regionally challenged bait topics flooding the Gamefaqs forums all the time. I highly doubt you haven't seen plenty of these types of topics or know anything about RPGs in general after all the time you've spent on Gamefaqs.

And yet another reminder as to why the regionally challenged are part of the problem, not the solution.
---
Delusions are as necessary to happiness as realities.
Yuki Nagato, Mafuyu Oribe, Kurumu Korono, Yui Kotogawa, Kaori Kanzaki, and Himari Noihara FTW
#28ExaflareBahamutPosted 7/17/2014 3:49:50 AM
TimePharaoh posted...
OMGWYATT posted...

So you can have a non-Japanese Japanese RPG? And a Western Japanese RPG? And a Japanese Western RPG? How exactly is a game made in Japan not a Japanese RPG? What about if Japanese people in America make a game, what is it?

It's not a genre or where it's made, it's a stupid term by tools.

Uhm JRPG and WRPG only differs in gameplay not where its developed
South Park: The Stick of Truth is JRPG
Dark Souls is WRPG
Correct me if I'm wrong I'm just saying this based on instinct
#29AllgorhythmPosted 7/17/2014 4:00:34 AM
I think your friend should try out Drakengard 3 on the PS3. The ground combat system is hack and slash. You also have aerial combat. Although I wouldn't say it is an open world game, like many western RPGs, it has a main story line that is event driven and fairly linear with side quests that can be played at the player's discretion and are non-linear. The art and story are very much what westerners expect from JRPGs so I think this is a good JRPG for a Skyrim aficionado to play.
#30Spidey555Posted 7/17/2014 4:02:26 AM
Yeah Xenoblade Chronicles is your best bet. Huge world and real time battle system
---
PS4: Spidey555
Steam: Spidey555