This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Refurbished card

#1MrtyuPosted 7/17/2014 7:15:41 AM
Recently one of the fans broke on my gpu so I sent it to the shop who sent it to the manufacturer who are now sending me a refurbished card. The manufacturer is MSI if that helps but what I was wondering is if they've simply fixed my card and sending it back or are sending me someone elses broken one?
#2cuteboi100Posted 7/17/2014 7:22:05 AM(edited)
Chances are that it's a refurbished card that someone else sent in originally.Especially if the turn-around is only a few days.
---
Attack Jet - Division 1 (World) | Fighter Jet - Division 1 (World)
Fighter Jet - Division 1 (Toronto), Rank #5
#3SinisterSlayPosted 7/17/2014 7:24:09 AM
If it's under warranty I'd demand a new card. Not someone else's warranty return.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#4Mrtyu(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2014 7:30:34 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
If it's under warranty I'd demand a new card. Not someone else's warranty return.

That was what I was thinking, i've sent my card in with a minimal issue but I might end up with someone elses more damaged card even if it has been fixed, as long as they let me RMA the refurbished one if it breaks then I guess its fine.
#5maybecallsPosted 7/17/2014 7:42:13 AM
Is the replacement exactly the same chipset and model as the one you sent off for repair?
#6Mrtyu(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2014 7:51:58 AM
maybecalls posted...
Is the replacement exactly the same chipset and model as the one you sent off for repair?

Not sure yet its getting delivered tomorrow, how would I check?
#7BuyersRemorse55Posted 7/17/2014 8:55:06 AM(edited)
Well having a warranty doesn't mean you get new stuff for replacement. When you read all the legal jargon and such for warranties youll find stuff like this:

"Should a product prove to be defective in material or workmanship during the warranty period, MSI will, at its sole option, repair the product or replace with a same or similar product.

Replacement Product may include new, remanufactured, or refurbished product and parts."

So yeah you might be getting refurbished, maybe new. I never really heard of video card companies actually repairing your specific broken card and sending it back to you. That would take to long. This isn't like the RROD and YLOD repairs lol.

Also refurbished doesn't have to mean it was previously broken. It could be a card that was just retured cause someone didn't want it. Or if MSI has any kind of trade in program like EVGA you could be getting a perfectly fine working card that was refurbished like new due to a trade in.