This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Yogventures - another lesson in the risks of Kickstarter

#1KillerTrufflePosted 7/17/2014 10:46:03 AM
So apparently Yogventures has been fully canceled. The dev team has stopped all work on it because it proved to be "too big for their 6-man team." And Yogscast has said they'll be providing backers with keys to a different open world survival game - TUG - as compensation... after explicitly pointing out that they don't actually have to do anything at all to make it up to backers.

The bigger issue to me is the fact that a lot of people bought into the project and backed it based on endorsements from Yogscast, and the expectation that they were directly involved in the project. It seems more likely that Yogscast simply liked the project, gave it some publicity, and allowed the developers to use its branding, and that's about as far as collaboration went. So there was an illusion of involvement that didn't actually exist.

That can actually make it pretty difficult to gauge the legitimacy of Kickstarter projects. Kickstarter is already something of a dangerous prospect - funding something that hasn't been made yet and hoping it turns out OK. I myself have backed one game - Planetary Annihilation - and it's actually coming along quite well. Some others have pulled through very well also - Broken Age, Divinity: Original Sin, and Wasteland 2 seems to be coming along nicely. So some great stuff can come from Kickstarter - but the risk is still there.

I do kind of question Yogscast's statement about their not being required to do anything for the failed project. It seems to me that if they've tied their brand to a project, they have also tied themselves to the project in a legal sense in terms of responsibility. And part of that responsibility is refunding any backers whose rewards they are unable to fulfill. Since the reward tiers pretty much all include a copy of the finished game, since they were not able to finish the game, that to me says a refund is legally required according to the Kickstarter contract.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/17/yogscast-cancel-kickstarter-backed-yogventures-say-its-failure-is-a-deep-regret/
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#2AnatomyHorrorPosted 7/17/2014 10:49:31 AM
The UK's most subbed to youtuber stealing people's kickstarter monies now. Not surprised.
#3TimePharaohPosted 7/17/2014 10:51:22 AM
k
#4xanthan1Posted 7/17/2014 11:00:19 AM(edited)
AnatomyHorror posted...
The UK's most subbed to youtuber stealing people's kickstarter monies now. Not surprised.

ITT Realizing they tried to make too ambitious a project combined with **** management of the project and compensating people with a similar game=stealing.

Maybe if they just cancelled it and then tried to do nothing to make up for you might have a point.

Besides, Kickstarter is a risk eitherway. They had no obligation to get people a different game and will likely give a refund if anyone asks for it instead of TUG.
#5pothocketPosted 7/17/2014 10:58:16 AM
The dev team has stopped all work on it because it proved to be "too big for their 6-man team."

Oh. My. Effing. God.

That's the whole freaking point of a kickstarter in the first place!!! Putting a game on kick-starter is saying "this is a project we want to see to completion but don't have the resources to do so". WTF did they do, pay themselves their entire salary up front?
---
http://i.imgur.com/aBZ2Gww.gif http://i.imgur.com/HnzWmt3.gif
#6AnatomyHorrorPosted 7/17/2014 11:02:31 AM
xanthan1 posted...

ITT Realizing they tried to make too ambitious a project combined with **** management of the project and compensating people with a similar game=stealing.

Maybe if they just cancelled it and then tried to do nothing to make up for you might have a point.

Besides, Kickstarter is a risk eitherway. They had no obligation to get people a different game and will likely give a refund if anyone asks for it instead of TUG.

Yeah probably a bit harsh to say it how I did but steal....

13,647 backers
$9.99 on steam
$567,665 pledged
#7xVSaNxPosted 7/17/2014 11:02:46 AM
xanthan1 posted...
AnatomyHorror posted...

Stupid lol promising to deliver a Ferrari and showing up with a Geo stating you had no obligation to deliver the Ferrari and it was too hard to get would be considered stealing yes
#8KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2014 11:02:54 AM
pothocket posted...
The dev team has stopped all work on it because it proved to be "too big for their 6-man team."

Oh. My. Effing. God.

That's the whole freaking point of a kickstarter in the first place!!! Putting a game on kick-starter is saying "this is a project we want to see to completion but don't have the resources to do so". WTF did they do, pay themselves their entire salary up front?

You might not be far off there. heh Part of the risk of Kickstarter is that people with zero business sense can start a project, but end up having no clue how to properly allocate resources to see it through. Seems to me like rather than canceling, they might have used some of that Kickstarter money to hire enough people that they *could* progress properly. I honestly don't know how many people would have been necessary to get the project done, but seriously, they earned over $500,000. That should cover a good bit at least...
---
#9KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2014 11:05:29 AM
Is a creator legally obligated to fulfill the promises of their project?

Yes. Kickstarter's Terms of Use require creators to fulfill all rewards of their project or refund any backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill. (This is what creators see before they launch.) This information can serve as a basis for legal recourse if a creator doesn't fulfill their promises. We hope that backers will consider using this provision only in cases where they feel that a creator has not made a good faith effort to complete the project and fulfill.

While Kickstarter won't pursue legal action against creators, they help lay out a solid groundwork for backers to pursue class action against them for refunds if they're not given voluntarily.
---
#10xanthan1Posted 7/17/2014 11:06:47 AM(edited)
xVSaNx posted...
xanthan1 posted...
AnatomyHorror posted...

Stupid lol promising to deliver a Ferrari and showing up with a Geo stating you had no obligation to deliver the Ferrari and it was too hard to get would be considered stealing yes

Replace Geo with something of similar worth and style as a Ferrari and you might be close. Stop acting like they're trying to scam people out of money instead of trying to fix their mistake.