This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Upgrade advice. How much of this is holding me back?

#1Dragon NexusPosted 7/17/2014 11:47:26 AM
My current build is from a few years ago. Currently rocking:

Mobo: Asus P6TSE
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.67GHz
GPU: ATi HD5850
RAM: 6 sticks of Corsair Dominator TR3x8G1600C8D adding up to 12GB.
PSU: 850W Corsair

I'm getting to the point where I can't just hit "Max settings!" on a new game and expect it to run too well. I'm hoping the CPU and mobo are okay for now and a good GPU upgrade will keep me going. I'll admit to not really future proofing myself with this. Bought this mobo as the old CPU socket type was going out and a new socket came in.
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
#2Renraku_SanPosted 7/17/2014 11:49:29 AM
CPU/mem is fine. Get a gtx 760/770/780, whichever fits your budget. Maybe an SSD to reduce load times in games.

But don't take my word for it. Some virgin is going to come along and say your CPU needs to be replaced.
---
"Free the herb, heal the nation, heal the sick." -Black Uhuru
#3Dragon Nexus(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2014 11:55:41 AM
I was on 6GB of RAM until a few months ago. Decided to buy another pack while they were still available to bump it up to 12. Cheaper than buying new, I figured.

I assume NVidia is currently the brand in the spotlight? I notice it tends to flip flop between the two. There will always be staunch supporters of either, but often one seems to come out with something much better, or at least better value, than the opposition. When I got the 5850 it felt like ATi were making better cards for the price than NVidia.
---
#4Dragon Nexus(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2014 3:54:00 PM
Bumping for more opinions, though I like what I heard thus far.
---
#5foodeater4Posted 7/17/2014 3:59:06 PM
I like nvidia as well. I currently have a gtx 760 and it works pretty well at 1080p overall.

If you want to just hit max settings and have everything go at 60fps or more, I would go with a gtx 770 or better.

Your CPU is fine still but it is getting older. I'm sure with the right GPU upgrade you could get another 3+ years out of the computer as good settings.
#6Dragon Nexus(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2014 4:27:22 PM
Glancing at a few online reviews, it does feel like the GTX770 is the way to go for the balance of quality vs price. I'm not going to pay 600 for a 780 =S

Which brands are good for NVidia? Or does it not matter much? I thought XFX were pretty good, but I can't seem to find any GTX770s made by them in the UK stores I go to (ebuyer and scan).
MSI any good? Kinda reluctant since the first mobo I got from them was DoA...as was the second.

Is there a big enough difference between the 2GB model and the 4GB to warrent the price?
---
#7aak57Posted 7/17/2014 4:29:38 PM
Get a new video card, get an aftermarket heatsink and OC the CPU and you'll be good. For Nvidia, EVGA is usually considered top along with MSI.
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg
#8godplaysSNESPosted 7/17/2014 4:36:26 PM(edited)
It'd be good if you could overclock that CPU

Regarding Nvidia vs AMD, do you have any specific games in mind? For BF4 for example, AMD would be the best choice due to Mantle

The 4GB VRAM model of the 770 is likely to age better than the 2GB model, but IMO it's better to go for the 2GB model, and use the saved money for a future upgrade
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#9link510Posted 7/17/2014 4:31:16 PM
Get a new GPU and CPU heatsink to bump that i7 up to some respectable speeds and you'll be good to go.
#10gunner967Posted 7/17/2014 4:33:51 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...
Glancing at a few online reviews, it does feel like the GTX770 is the way to go for the balance of quality vs price. I'm not going to pay 600 for a 780 =S

Which brands are good for NVidia? Or does it not matter much? I thought XFX were pretty good, but I can't seem to find any GTX770s made by them in the UK stores I go to (ebuyer and scan).
MSI any good? Kinda reluctant since the first mobo I got from them was DoA...as was the second.

Is there a big enough difference between the 2GB model and the 4GB to warrent the price?

4GB isn't needed, something about memory bandwidth means that the actual 770 chip can't use all of it.
Basically, AMD is better bang for your buck, and Nvidia is more expensive but runs cooler and has better driver support (IMO)

As far as brands, just stay away from PNY. EVGA, Asus, and MSI are what people usually buy.
---
XBL A Killing Pie~PSN A_Killing_Pie~Steam Scooby Doo
"I'm going to put my quantum harmonizer in your photonic resonation chamber!"