This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Upgrade advice. How much of this is holding me back?

#31aak57Posted 7/20/2014 9:41:50 AM
100C? Poor CPU. And shame on you for doing precisely what I said you shouldn't do. -_-
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg
#32Dragon Nexus(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2014 9:50:12 AM
aak57 posted...
100C? Poor CPU. And shame on you for doing precisely what I said you shouldn't do. -_-

...didn't go for 5GHz with 2V off the bat, I followed a video that said what was really stable and went with that.

But yeah, I guess the temps are kinda high. Might bump it back to default settings again and just start over, ignoring pre-set guides or what have you.
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
#33ShubPosted 7/20/2014 9:56:10 AM
Shoot for 80-85C. See how high you can push your clock speed without touching your voltage, then bump the voltage as little as necessary to be stable again, then keep increasing your clock speed until you're no longer stable, and so forth. Again, until you hit 80-85C under load.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#34Dragon Nexus(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2014 10:01:50 AM
I think, actually, since I'm away for a few days next week and won't have time to fiddle with it much, I might return things to stock speed until I get some time off then give this thing a damn good clean out and dusting.

Maybe re-apply the thermal compound (I know how to do it. I have some artic cleaning stuff and some artic silver. Apply a pea sized drop to the middle and press down the HS/F without moving it around too much).

Is there a way of doing this without rebooting to test things every time? Or is it required to know what's going on?
---
#35ShubPosted 7/20/2014 10:08:33 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...
Apply a pea sized

No, rice grain-sized, not pea. Pea-sized is way too much.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#36aak57Posted 7/20/2014 10:22:19 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...
...didn't go for 5GHz with 2V off the bat, I followed a video that said what was really stable and went with that.

You did the "just set it to some **** and not go slowly/carefully" which is what I was recommending against, not a literal set of values. The maximum temperature for the 920 before it starts getting damaged is 105C. You should be nowhere near that, even if it is just stress-testing and not a game. As Shub said, you'd want to aim for 80, maybe 85C.
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg
#37Dragon Nexus(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2014 11:16:15 AM
aak57 posted...
Dragon Nexus posted...

You did the "just set it to some **** and not go slowly/carefully" which is what I was recommending against, not a literal set of values. The maximum temperature for the 920 before it starts getting damaged is 105C. You should be nowhere near that, even if it is just stress-testing and not a game. As Shub said, you'd want to aim for 80, maybe 85C.

Okay...been told. Shoulda figured it's more of an individual test thing than a blanket rule.

Shub posted...
Dragon Nexus posted...
Apply a pea sized

No, rice grain-sized, not pea. Pea-sized is way too much.

Jeez, I always hear such conflicting advice on this. I think I did a grain of rice size before. I followed Artic's website guideline last time I did it. It listed a bunch of CPU types and gave a suggestion for each one, so I followed that.

Can I assume that if two of the four cores report a lower temperature that I perhaps didn't place it evenly? Do you even need to spread it, or is placing the stuff down then letting the weight of the HS/F smoosh it the best way to go? I assumed it was the latter.
---
#38kill2thisPosted 7/20/2014 11:49:26 AM(edited)
Dragon Nexus posted...
I'm not going to pay 600 for a 780 =S

Don't then, pay 400 for one:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-gigabyte-gtx-780-ghz-edition-28nm-pcie-30-6008mhz-gddr5-gpu-1019mhz-boost-1071mhz-cores-2304-dp-

EDIT: FWIW I've had a PNY GTX770 since release, with no issues, so I wouldn't say to avoid PNY necessarily, at release even the UK publication "Custom PC magazine" did their tests based upon a PNY card.
#39N3xtG3nGam3rPosted 7/20/2014 12:00:55 PM
EVGA gtx 770 classified 4GB owner here, and would definitely recommend this exact card to anyone. Decent cooling, very sturdy design, the 4GB will ensure longevity in maintaining HD gaming for at minimum a few years to come. The stock speeds for the clocks on this card are higher than the superclocked edition, so you also have longevity in terms of modifying speeds.

Got mine from a retail store for $400, and it came with 3 $60 dollar games (good ones too) and a $50 voucher for games like Warframe. So I would say since I played all 3 games and used the voucher in warframe that I definitely got my $170 worth out of this card.

Anyways, got a good deal on mine, but it still (to me) is well worth the $400 even if it comes with nothing but the card.
---
ASUS p8h61-M (Rev 3.0) | Intel CORE i3 2100 | 8GB Dual-Channel DDr3 | 500GB HDD | 600w PSU | nVidia GTX 770 4GB GDDr5