This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Did Portal blow your mind the first time you played it?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Did Portal blow your mind the first time you played it?
10 months ago#11
Yes. Portal is absolutely amazing. Forget which podcast it was, but they put it perfectly:

"It's one of those rare games that truly can't be done for any other medium."
---
"There won't be any money...but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness...So I got that goin' for me - which is nice."
10 months ago#12
rdking96 posted...
Yes. Portal is absolutely amazing. Forget which podcast it was, but they put it perfectly:

"It's one of those rare games that truly can't be done for any other medium."

That applies to most games.
10 months ago#13
I played Portal 2 first and only after it was out for a bit. I liked it, but it didn't blow my mind. I guess I just didn't find the concept of portals -that- creative. Most of the puzzles were still very one-way only, which kinda ruins the fun of a portal gun. They gave you the feeling of having a powerful toy to mess around with, but it held your hand pretty much telling you exactly what you should do depending on the white walls available. Some of the puzzles were creative and/or difficult, though. I'd just like a Portal 3...I mean Portal 2 Episode 1 to have many different ways to solve a puzzle to make us feel more creative. The narrative was pretty great, though, I'll give it that.
---
NNID: TheDunc | Steam: Sir Soyeldimzelf
10 months ago#14
No. But I loved it and still do.
---
I am not economically viable.
10 months ago#15
Never played it.
---
TBWNN's grumpy old man >:/
10 months ago#16
Alavard posted...
My mind had already been blown during the very reveal first trailers for the game - the one that ended with GladOS saying 'now you're thinking with portals'.

Specifically, it was watching how seamless stepping into a portal was.

---
God Bless America.
10 months ago#17
dunkis posted...
Most of the puzzles were still very one-way only, which kinda ruins the fun of a portal gun.

This is pretty incorrect for the vast majority of the puzzles.
---
hasa diga eebowai
10 months ago#18
Meh, not really. It was a very fun game and entertaining story but mind blowing it wasn't. The story you could see coming from a mile away given how Glados talks and what she says. The mechanics, as in the portals, while fun were not exactly so unique to be mind blowing for if they were it would have been much harder to solve those puzzles.

I do have to ask though in what respect do you think it was mind blowing, dear original poster? The story, the mechanics, or what exactly would have made it qualify as mind blowing?
---
My dear mortal, don't you realize? The secret to my winning this board is the fact that you can grow without limits while the others never surpass theirs.
10 months ago#19
I played Portal in that perfect window of time just when the Orange Box came out; waiting for HL2ep2 to install, having no real expectations except what little the trailer showed of it.

I was pleasantly surprised.
---
[S]olitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short. - Leviathan
Nyar
10 months ago#20
No, because I knew what to expect when I got it.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Did Portal blow your mind the first time you played it?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived