This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Did Portal blow your mind the first time you played it?

#51SuperVegito2487Posted 7/18/2014 10:54:15 AM
I guess i can say yes to that but ive never really been THAT good at puzzles, so thats why.

Frustration not Amazement.
---
L.J.Gibbs: Rule 42:
"Never accept an apology from someone who just sucker punched you."
#52homeless_JPosted 7/18/2014 10:54:39 AM
Mind was somewhat blown, mostly due to the physics of it, and the problem solving. You really did have to start thinking with portals.

Portal 2 had a similar affect with coop-op.

Both cases certain puzzles require you to use portals in different, new or unconventional ways. Lot's of "holy s***, that actually worked!" moments
#53SnowxNeverLeftPosted 7/18/2014 11:03:00 AM
pothocket posted...
Yes. It's one of the few games that really understands how to present a narrative in an interactive medium and because of this it is (I think) the best example we have of games being art.

It's just a 3D puzzle game with an obnoxious fountain of memes who never shuts up. That's not art in my book.
#54Master_BassPosted 7/18/2014 11:05:06 AM
I find it interesting that the poll reversed in results since the last time I looked.
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#55harold317Posted 7/18/2014 11:18:53 AM
Oh yes, absolutely. Clever, fun and original, it's exactly the kind of game I dig and I'm not even a big fan of First Person games. It also introduced me to another masterpiece called Half-Life 2. Valve is probably the best game developer I didn't knew about, I'm looking forward to play more of their stuff once I can buy a new PC.
#56CheeseCurlsPosted 7/18/2014 11:28:03 AM
it was one of those games that greatly confused me at first, I blame it on only giving you 1 color at first and preplacing the second, however once it clicked I was just like oh...OH DAMN!
---
"In our culture, the phenomena known as emotion is considered a mental disorder."
#57pothocketPosted 7/18/2014 11:29:18 AM
SnowxNeverLeft posted...
pothocket posted...
Yes. It's one of the few games that really understands how to present a narrative in an interactive medium and because of this it is (I think) the best example we have of games being art.

It's just a 3D puzzle game with an obnoxious fountain of memes who never shuts up. That's not art in my book.

That's not why I call it art (plus, those weren't memes until the general public turned them into memes. Which were NOT reused as a crutch in Portal 2)

I call it art because of how closely it follows the traditional 3 act pacing of how stories are told - introduction, growth, confrontation. No other game (other than Portal 2) comes close.

Not just the narrative pacing, but also the gameplay follows the same structure. Typically in a movie the real story doesn't start until the end of the first act or the start of the second. That's when Neo wakes up, when the fellowship leaves Rivendale, when Shaun and Ed encounter a zombie in the backyard, and in Portal it's when you get the full Portal Gun (also note that the gameplay hook of Portal 2, the gels, don't show up until... you guessed it, that start of act 2)

Properly telling a story is an art form and Portal not only nails it but breaks ground by pushing the interactive medium farther than anyone else has before. That's why I consider it art.
---
http://i.imgur.com/aBZ2Gww.gif http://i.imgur.com/HnzWmt3.gif
#58DemolatorzPosted 7/18/2014 11:29:36 AM
No, but it was awesome.
---
Currently Playin': Tales of Graces F, Persona 3 FES, Persona 4, Okami HD.
Anticipating: Xillia 2, Watch Dogs, Pokemon, Smash Bros, Mario Kart.
#59Chosen_one_41Posted 7/18/2014 11:36:14 AM
Portal was a lot of fun to play and had a very interesting style of humor but I wouldn't say it "blew my mind"
---
www.backloggery.com/chosen_one_41
I'm not a real gamer, I actually enjoy playing games
#60eternalblue02Posted 7/18/2014 11:41:00 AM
Nope. Played it once, thought it was cool, never picked it up again. Same with it's sequel.