This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why would anyone ever want to enable DOF?

#21PaukenPosted 7/18/2014 4:15:52 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Pauken posted...
How does it look better when everything is blurred to hell and back?

Honestly if you like DoF you must have eye issues in RL, because natural landscapes don't look like that if you have 20/20 vision, speaking from a person with near-perfect eyesight.

Look out at something 50 feet away or more and focus on it with one eye closed. Now hold your finger up at arm's length in front of your eye. Your finger looks a bit blurry while you're focused on the distant object, doesn't it? Now focus on your finger, right at the edge, so the distant object is right within your same center field of view. Your finger now becomes sharply focused while the distant object is blurred.

Yes, you do experience depth of field effects constantly - your eyes simply react to changes in distance of whatever you're paying attention to rather quickly, and your brain is used to processing it all without you even being aware. I don't quite get why people claim depth of field is "unrealistic." You do *not* naturally see everything within your field of view in focus simultaneously regardless of distance. Only things at the center of your vision and on the plane you're currently focusing on are actually in focus - you just don't typically notice because your brain is designed to ignore things that aren't relevant to the specific thing(s) you're focused on at any given moment.

I'm not saying every game that uses DoF does it correctly - or even well - but comments like "if you like this you must have eye problems" are just plain wrong.

Easy to explain, damn near impossible to implement well. See Dark Souls for a game that instantly looks 1000 times better with the "mandatory" DoF forced off by DSFix (seriously, things 5 feet from you look like blurry messes with default settings). Regardless of the camera, though, DoF just doesn't work well with modern gaming due to nothing tracking as fast as the human eye, and thus everything using DoF looks like garbage.

Also, as for shadows, I do like them, but they often require a stupidly powerful PC to max, and are often the biggest cause of FPS stuttering, so I tend to disable and/or lower them drastically just to play at a smooth framerate.

Also, I agree that Ambient Occlusion is a terribly minor setting. It hardly changes anything, but noms on framerate more than Pacman at an All You Can Eat Pellet Buffet. It's usually one of those settings I lower like mad after first installing a game just to get a smooth framerate.
#22RunFromThisGunPosted 7/18/2014 4:37:38 PM
I guess I'm in the minority. I loved the DoF in Just Cause 2 and the Witcher 2.
#23ChromaticAngelPosted 7/18/2014 5:08:55 PM
I used to disable DoF in every game either, much for the same reason, then I downloaded some ENB for Skyrim and it did something to re-enable the DoF, except it was beautiful, and Bethesda just did a terrible job (like they do with everything) with the built in DoF.

Ever since then I have been a huge fan of DoF but it does actually vary from game to game, some games have a really ugly DoF. DoF helps things that are far away feel really far away for me, where as with DoF disabled the world feels flat, like I'm looking at a painting.

Besides, do you hate photographs? all one-lens cameras have the DoF provided to them by newtonian physics on anything that is not the focus of the photograph.
---
RPG Spotlight: Divine Divinity http://www.gog.com/game/divine_divinity
Short Summary: http://pastebin.com/cYnYXp6H
#24RunFromThisGunPosted 7/18/2014 5:15:22 PM
ChromaticAngel posted...
I used to disable DoF in every game either, much for the same reason, then I downloaded some ENB for Skyrim and it did something to re-enable the DoF, except it was beautiful, and Bethesda just did a terrible job (like they do with everything) with the built in DoF.

Ever since then I have been a huge fan of DoF but it does actually vary from game to game, some games have a really ugly DoF. DoF helps things that are far away feel really far away for me, where as with DoF disabled the world feels flat, like I'm looking at a painting.

Besides, do you hate photographs? all one-lens cameras have the DoF provided to them by newtonian physics on anything that is not the focus of the photograph.

I agree about the flatness with it disabled. Until we have the capability to have ultra detail textures beyond 20 feet in a game, DoF comes to the rescue imo.
#25OldDirtyCRPosted 7/19/2014 10:36:31 AM(edited)
MortalDanger posted...
:(

I would like to clarify myself. I do not think your CHARACTER looks ugly. I think you did a good job making a custom face for your character. I know how much time can go into getting everything to look right with the sliders and picking the right mods. I definitely don't want you to feel like the character you created is hideous or something.

I tend to go with the more natural looking face mods for Skyrim. You have more of the flawless artificial looking face mod going on. That's fine, just not my cup of tea. The character itself though (ignoring the mod textures and such) has a nice face.

I think my initial reaction to your character was based off the outside picture. The lighting made her face look metallic. On second look it's not nearly as bad as I initially exclaimed.
---
3DS FC - 5069-5350-3668
#26BuburibonPosted 7/19/2014 10:57:48 AM
I find that some DOF in the distance can be useful to mask low LOD, while shallow DOF a couple dozen meters away from your character is rather ugly and annoying. That being said, I understand that shallow DOF can be interesting when taking screenshots.
---
Now Playing: Infamous: Second Son | Astebreed (PC) | Wolfenstein: The New Order (PC) | Mario Kart 8
#27TheLoneDigitPosted 7/19/2014 11:18:25 AM
There are a couple games that allow it on for cut scenes but off for gameplay. That's how I like it.
#28thatfool12GsPosted 7/19/2014 11:20:20 AM
I like DoF in Skyrim. Looks way better on.
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU
#29AcquirePosted 7/19/2014 11:32:22 AM
DoF looks fantastic. I would never turn it off.
---
Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.
#30FoxtheSlyPosted 7/19/2014 11:42:50 AM
The only game I leave on in is The Witcher 2.
---
I start to think, and then I sink into the paper like I was ink;
When I'm writin' I'm trapped in between the lines, I escape when I finish the rhyme.