This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which is the best Total War game?

#21myzz7Posted 7/19/2014 3:00:06 AM
Shogun 2 with the Fall of the Samurai expansion.

Or S2 with mods to balance out realm divide.
---
http://s10.postimage.org/mxioonsd1/gildavatar.gif http://puu.sh/7f5f3/51ab963813.jpg
#22TowerBooks3192Posted 7/19/2014 3:13:23 AM
I never really see the appeal of the total war series and I must say my experience with shogun 2 was alright though I just don't feel that spark that would make me love the game. I got medieval 2 installed, I was wondering if the game is open-ended like I could conquer the world starting from a small faction or something?
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower
#23blade6321Posted 7/19/2014 7:05:19 AM
Rome>Medieval 2>Shogun 2

Couldn't stand Shogun's lack of unit variety, and Rome really excelled in that aspect.
---
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198044407572/
Whose eyes are those eyes?
#24NeninaPosted 7/19/2014 10:30:21 AM
There is no best Total War game, only the least terrible. The contenders for least terrible are Shogun 2 and Rome 1. Either you get an overall, well-polished game with better graphics in Japan only or you get the bad graphics classic set in Europe, some of the Middle East, and North Africa.
#25The_DeskPosted 7/19/2014 10:33:47 AM
With mods I'd say Empires, without probably Rome 1.
#26LaManoNeraIIPosted 7/19/2014 10:41:05 AM
On a technical and design level, definitely Shogun 2. But my personal favorite is Medieval 2. Spent so much wonderful time with that game.
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#27NotQuiteAFreakPosted 7/19/2014 11:11:09 AM
Ningishzida posted...
NotQuiteAFreak posted...
Ningishzida posted...
I wonder how much favor for Shogun 2 is attributable to it's genuine superiority over the others, and how much is just pig-headed Japano-fetish...

I can imagine quite a bit, though I also think the travesty that was Rome II makes a lot of people overlook a lot of issues with Shogun. Someone said it had the best strategic gameplay, while that may be true because every faction has the exact same units, it does not counter the fact that this limits the variety of strategies that can be taken and battles get extremely bland extremely fast.

There are also some rather dumb mechanics in the campaign which arguably ruin it, things like the divided realm, the overabundance of seiges, which are a pretty dull and broken affair to begin with, broken diplomacy and the constant port harassment, which was neglected to be fixed from Napoleon and Empire. The AI is pretty bad too, not to Rome II standards but still its bad.

I would say the best game is a toss up between Medieval II and Rome depending on your preferred period. I personally prefer Rome.

Thanks for posting something worth reading. I have both Rome and MedII, I'm just not sure which one to sink 100 hours into. Which of these do you think has the best balance of AI and strat/tact versatility?

Personally I'd say Rome, though maybe that's because I've sank a lot more time into it than I have Medieval. In Rome I feel the faction differences are much more enunciated than they are in Medieval and you end up with a bunch of diverse wars as you conquer the world. Though Medieval still does offer a lot of versatility in its factions and enhances it with the the introduction of firepower. The battles in Medieval and Rome play quite differently and open up different tactics and with cannons and muskets, I would probably have to admit the strategic versatility is a bit deeper in Medieval than it is Rome.

As for AI, I've heard some claim Medieval's AI is a lot better, though I feel they play very similar. But in both games the AI is pretty outdated these days and it's pretty easy to exploit, so don't expect to be blown away or anything (Unless you've recently played Rome II). On a side note Medieval's AI has the tendency to bug out in sieges.
---
Not changing sig till we get a sequel to Freedom Fighters.
Started 13/4/2010
#28majinbuu58Posted 7/19/2014 11:14:00 AM
Nenina posted...
There is no best Total War game, only the least terrible. The contenders for least terrible are Shogun 2 and Rome 1. Either you get an overall, well-polished game with better graphics in Japan only or you get the bad graphics classic set in Europe, some of the Middle East, and North Africa.

Wat
---
"realistically, im the most IRL person on this board with the most friends, most girls, and most fun adventures." -P64